4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

A new way she won't start...

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 08:51 PM

A new way she won't start...

I've been fighting a no-start problem for…well, a while. When I turn the key, the dash lights would come on, but nothing else would happen. But if I kept trying, eventually the starter would kick in and it would start fine. In the process, I replaced the battery, the starter, had the new starter checked, replaced the ignition switch, added a couple of ground wires, and replaced the negative cable.

As part of this process, there were a couple of times when I got kind of a soft shudder out of the starter. It didn't sound like metal on metal, but it definitely wasn't turning the engine over. I pulled the air flow housing off, loosened the starter bolts and re-tightened them, wiggled a few wires, and then it started fine.

The latest step was replacing the negative cable, which I did last weekend. It started fine for a couple of days. Then yesterday I started getting a very rough idle when the car was in gear (it's an auto). I checked for vacuum leaks last night, but couldn't find any. I was planning to look at a couple more things tonight, but on the way home the idle was fine. OK, maybe it's bad gas (the tank was down to ¼), or maybe there's a small tear in the air bellows, or something.

I stopped on the way home, and when I tried to start it again, the %$#@$ shudder came back when I tried to start. I tried it 3 or 4 times with the same thing, then let it sit for a minute, then tried it again. This time it caught, kind of sputtered, then the idle came up and it was normal. And still no rough idle.

So now I'm baffled. I didn't think the rough idle was related to the starting problem. I figured I just knocked loose a vacuum hose underneath that I haven't found yet, or maybe it's just time to clean the IACV. (I cleaned the MAS and TB recently.) Or maybe the MAS just decided to go. Whatever, I've got things to try for that. But now I'm not so sure. Maybe I've got a mixture problem that comes and goes? But I wouldn't think that would cause the engine to not catch at all. Anyone know what the shudder when I try to start might be? I haven't seen anything like it in any of the no-start threads...

Any other ideas at all???
Old 11-21-2007, 11:57 PM

bump
Old 11-23-2007, 12:58 PM

I was thinking MAF sensor myself. It might be worth testing it. Any CEL's come up?
Old 11-23-2007, 02:05 PM

ignition switch.... may be????/
Old 11-25-2007, 09:43 PM

Nope, no codes, not even stored. And I replaced the ignition switch a couple months ago as part of this process. I tested the MAS a while back and cleaned it, but I haven't done it since.

I now think it's just a result of reduced voltage. I finally managed to get the thing to not start at all (as opposed to intermittently), so I could do a little testing. I'm getting full voltage at the battery contact on the solenoid, but not the trigger wire contact. So I have to start testing backwards through the ignition system. My primary suspect right now is the Park/Neutral switch, or the connectors. In the meantime, I patched in a wire to the solenoid trigger circuit, and I have to start it by touching the wire to the positive terminal. Crude, but effective. And a PITA...
Old 11-26-2007, 01:50 PM

i had a similar issue and found a loose connection under the start/antitheft relay in the engine bay (pass side).
good luck let us know how you make out.