4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

big decision are being made here

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 04:00 PM
I hate being slow

big decision are being made here

SO as most of you may of not known...i was starting a major project on my maxima. Its been discontinued due to the slight upcoming of a much much better option. I've been offered a 240sx with an RB26DET T88 turbocharged 2.7 litre HKS'd EVERYTHING 272 cams retainers head gasket (1.0mm) ported polished heads 6 speed TRUST htype transmission nismo coppermix twin plate clutch and much much more..the stats on this bad boy 740 flywheel hp at 35psi on pump gas and 860hp on race fuel (113 octane) at 44psi..is it too much for me...yes...WAYYYY TOO MUCH..will i kill myself probably...but what you guys think i think i made a bargain compared to being with a maxima that would have well over 17k invested i got a 240 for 13500
Old 11-23-2007, 04:13 PM

I would hope you wouldn't invest over 17k in the Maxima should you have not gotten this vehicle you speak of.

post pics.

I'd say $13.5k is a little on the cheap side for a 240 with a RB26 swapped in and HKS everything.

May want to take some time to know and learn how that car works should anything go wrong with it.
Old 11-23-2007, 04:22 PM
Former Vendor

what are you're goals? what purpose will the car serve?

i can easily see putting $17k into a maxima (i'm more than half way there), but not to turn it into something its not. if you want a racing beast i would look somewhere else. i would also not buy anything that heavily modified. with the resources you're talking about you could sell the max and build your own car off a quality used platform. even better, you could keep the max as a daily driver and build something for $17k.
Old 11-23-2007, 04:44 PM

go for it rwd and skyline motor ftw.
Old 11-23-2007, 05:49 PM

35psi? Holy hell batman.
Old 11-23-2007, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by BlackA32max
SO as most of you may of not known...i was starting a major project on my maxima. Its been discontinued due to the slight upcoming of a much much better option. I've been offered a 240sx with an RB26DET T88 turbocharged 2.7 litre HKS'd EVERYTHING 272 cams retainers head gasket (1.0mm) ported polished heads 6 speed TRUST htype transmission nismo coppermix twin plate clutch and much much more..the stats on this bad boy 740 flywheel hp at 35psi on pump gas and 860hp on race fuel (113 octane) at 44psi..is it too much for me...yes...WAYYYY TOO MUCH..will i kill myself probably...but what you guys think i think i made a bargain compared to being with a maxima that would have well over 17k invested i got a 240 for 13500
sounds pretty sweet, i kinda worry though... 35psi is alot for that engine to handle, especially on pump gas, i would dial down the boost if i were you unless its going to be strictly a track car.
Old 11-23-2007, 07:31 PM
I hate being slow

Pics, he's not able to get some because he just switched computers or something he however sent me the receipts, and as for my max i will be keeping it. I'm still gonna just go ahead and do a stock VQ35 swap, probably just for daily driveability but this car it'll be strictly weekend maybe 2 drives a week in the summer NO winter weather. The car wasn't originally cheap i just brought him down to cheap. He wanted 18 for it, and then i talked him down and said he would take 15, but then i told him i'm gonna need 13500 to make it happen anytime soon, of course i could of paid 18 didn't want too though. The car has ALOT of things done, i will however be getting an electronic boost controller because i as well thought 35psi was alot to push on pump gas but heres a list of some of the engine mods he has....

Its current configuration setup is a T88 Single turbo bored to 2.7 liter and currently an extraordinary RB27DET setup. The engine is protected by a bulletproof R34 N1 block that has a complete balanced block including crank, pistons, seals, water and oil pump etc. The head is port and polished and supported by an HKS 1.0mm metal head gasket for higher boost. HKS 272 race cams with stage 2 setup springs, copper retainers. A duel fuel pump system to support all the power & flowing some 950cc injectors that’s 5700cc of fuel ramming into the engine. Then most all the turbo compressing all this power is the Trust (Greddy) T88/ 34D 18 single turbo setup capable of (800HP).
Engine:
Tuned by TM-Works
Denso iridium spark plugs x6
Mobile 1 15w50 full synthetic racing series engine oil 13 quarts – (Yes 13 quarts to fill up this beast)
R34 N1 complete balanced block including crank, pistons,
Block bored to 2.7L
Ported head with copper valve guides.
HKS 272 step 2 cams, springs, and retainers.
HKS adjustable cam gears.
HKS 1.0mm head gasket.
Apexi GT series intercooler & piping
HKS Twin super sequential BOV setup x2
Trust T-88/34 D18 turbo polished
Trust Type C wastegate (top of the line racing wastegate)
Apexi racing series exhuast 3.75” piping with a 4.5” exhaust tip

as you can see the car is STRICTLY weekend warrior type it won't be daily driven at all. I'm keeping my maxima and i'll probably do a swap hopefully sometime in the spring while i do have the 240sx up and able to drive to my necessitys like a job and what not. I just felt why spend all the money when i can do a swap in my maxima for like 3500 maybe and be done with it and then spend another 13500 have a fully reliable daily driver and a great amount of fun for the weekend. As far as learning about the car, i am doing my research, i mean i know alot about the RB series but not enough to blow answers out like i will need too. I'm buying the car right now because i didn't wanna let it get away from me and go to somebody else for that kind of deal. For the winter it'll sit up and get started every other day to make sure the fuel and liquids are being pumped through properly but it won't see more than 5000 a year definitely. I love the idea of owning it and i'm gonna have two dreams at once. My main purpose for starting the max project was because i wanted more speed in a daily reliable setting but since it was going to be my main car just dump alot of money to make it turbo as well, but now since i've got a completed project for 13500 i'll just be running stock with a few bolt ons just to get around town and probably just make it alil nicer instead of spending 16-17 on the max i'll only spend 5-6 for a complete make over...but i've been craving that RWD setup and this car granted it too me..for cheaper than a supra but also alot less reliable setup but still it was a bargain in my opinion and how many RB26 240sx have a race tranny from japan? i mean its a 6 speed and for what its got well over 40k in it..i'm practically stealing the car

Last edited by BlackA32max; 11-23-2007 at 07:41 PM. Reason: spelling and grammar errors.
Old 11-23-2007, 07:47 PM
Sold

this might fall under the category of:
if it's too good to be true, it probably is.

Ohh and 44psi on race gas.... I'm sure something would be flying out of the block in an unplanned manner.

good luck with it.
Old 11-23-2007, 07:55 PM
I hate being slow

heres his craigslist i found http://lacrosse.craigslist.org/car/469062665.html idk...i remember the original owner who had the car before this guy and he was offering it to me for 12000 but he also had the asking at 18900 and he said he would be willing to work with me on tha price and said get 12000 cash and he would close it out..but i had school coming up and couldn't get 12 i'm interested..i'm gonna meet up with him and see first i mean..if i'm not liking the way things are looking are the car then i'm gonna ask him to bring down the price accordingly...but the transmission was 11700 brand new and i'm thinking if i was to sell that and get the rb25 tranny i should be okay i'll also have to get a full aluminum radiator though as well i think he has a stock 6cyl radiator or something i'm quizzing him to make sure that the car functions and stuff i'm not trying to get jipped myself but hopefully everything goes well and the car will be a blast and joy to own
Old 11-23-2007, 08:00 PM

how many miles on it??

edit*
just read through the ad, i would talk to him about the bore, IMO he has gone completely wrong with boring it out under that kind of boost. If your making a engine that is getting its performance primarily from forced induction you generally want your cylinder walls as thick as possible not thin them out to get a few extra cc. I can tell you now that thing is going to blow headgaskets like mad if not crack between cylinders and/or between cylinder walls and water jackets.

Last edited by J-hop; 11-23-2007 at 08:08 PM.
Old 11-23-2007, 08:03 PM

nevermind...do what you will - you seem to have your made up
Old 11-23-2007, 08:04 PM
I hate being slow

Originally Posted by J-hop
how many miles on it??
the body is unknown i believe thats why i contacted the original owner so i could see how many miles were on it before he did all the ish..it has a R32 dash soo yea..but the motor has 8k on it
Old 11-23-2007, 08:07 PM

if you can afford it and this is what you want go for it. I wouldnt modd the max too much, you may need the money for the 240 as "just in case" money

from the list its a beast alright. If you end up getting it be sure to spend some time getting used to the car. your going from approx 170hp to 800hp... could be dangerous ya know
Old 11-23-2007, 08:07 PM
I hate being slow

Originally Posted by andrei3333
nevermind...do what you will - you seem to have your made up
no it will not be a daily driver i've got a VQ35 that i'll be dropping in my maxima this spring after the body goes down for paint to my uncles shop and then i'll probably do some other body clean ups and then be done...for the most part the max will only have a full exhaust and then the rest will be stereo nothin too serious just something to get me around day to day with good gas mileage but this car will be strictly weekend go out race or cruise type...or just for a kick during the day...but for 13500 i know i can get many other things but i wanted this because of its setup and what its got for what he wants
Old 11-23-2007, 08:10 PM

to each is his own, thats why i deleted my Original post....

do what makes you happy man, i just had my gut and my own personal opinion tell me something that does not apply to you - thats all
Old 11-23-2007, 08:12 PM
I hate being slow

Originally Posted by MDeezy
if you can afford it and this is what you want go for it. I wouldnt modd the max too much, you may need the money for the 240 as "just in case" money

from the list its a beast alright. If you end up getting it be sure to spend some time getting used to the car. your going from approx 170hp to 800hp... could be dangerous ya know
i definitely have made that executive decision to not even TOUCH full throttle till 6+ months of driving experience and i mean like a year in all reality because i've driven a 350whp subaru when i went from my stock maxima and that was ALOT to handle..got used to that then drove a 548whp 03 cobra (not alot just like 4 times) but nonetheless that cobra was sick...its like you want it to stop but it feels too good...i do plan on being VERY careful in this car...only time i will even step on the gas is when i'm getting on the highway or on a long stretch of open highway with NOBODY in either lane ahead of me...i don't plan on looking like an idiot in this car haha...definitely have made sure that i am smart if i do get it...and as for just in case i do understand that as well the motor i got though is from my friend and he's gonna go ahead and get it for me so i'm only spending 200 for a 5k motor and tranny (6spd) its his now but he's got it on hold for me..and then the rest will be over a year still...not instantly
Old 11-23-2007, 08:25 PM

that car must be a cop magnet ;-(
Old 11-23-2007, 08:55 PM
I hate being slow

Originally Posted by andrei3333
that car must be a cop magnet ;-(
haha the ironic thing is that it'll be less of a cop magnet than diesel turbo trucks...i live in oklahoma and the only people who race on the mainstream place is diesel turbo trucks like a bunch of idiots...however its only a cop magnet if you make it one...i rarely cruise the streets where most people race i usually kick it with people parked not driving up and down like the other trucks and ford or POS hondas the big boys usually just chill and watch people get pulled over...it'll be a chick magnet...and it should get mad respect in such a small town as mine...as far as car goes..we have lambos and ferraris and stuff but like nobody has a vq35 max and nobody has a rb26 240sx some guy is saying he's gonna run a Twin turbo LS1 but...i just smiled at him and kept saying...yea yea yea
Old 11-24-2007, 01:01 AM

That's a really great plan you have laid out OP, be sure to stick to wise decisions and enjoy your future speed demon, best of luck!
Old 11-24-2007, 05:38 AM

sounds too good to be tru. 44 psi FWD I think i just wet myself
Old 11-24-2007, 08:36 AM

not to be a ****.. but lets be reasonable here... how long do u think that car will last with all those mods...?? do u really wanna spend that much money to find out that ur just buying somebody else's troubles??
Old 11-24-2007, 08:43 AM

if it is properly build with attention to detail it should last a while, but it will require much more continuous eye than an N/A car.

and if he really does just drive it twice a week and doesnt beat on it every single time he drives it, it should hold up a good while with minimal care. this is all speculation it could be the opposite.
Old 11-24-2007, 08:58 AM

What about a roll cage? If you're going to be racing organized events, you may be approaching speeds where you are required to have one. I'm not 100% sure what the times are for required roll cages, but with 860 hp in a 240, you're going to be going pretty fast.
Old 11-24-2007, 09:04 AM

i would NEVER.. buy a modded car like that.... to me thats just asking for trouble.. plus if something blows up how are u gonna get replacement parts for it since its an uncommon motor???
Old 11-24-2007, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by f550maranello2
i would NEVER.. buy a modded car like that.... to me thats just asking for trouble.. plus if something blows up how are u gonna get replacement parts for it since its an uncommon motor???
in this case yea, if he blows up that RB its going to be expensive to replace and half as expensive to fix (if it can)

surprisingly alot of the Nissans share the same sensors.
I just hope that he has the know how should something go wrong, and be able to fix it without having to tow it to some expensive shop to pay $$$ to fix something small.

I dont know if hes paying out of pocket or getting a bank to finanace, but if Its out of pocked, I'd rather just do the swap myself, buy the 240 and take it from start to finish. More gratifying for me.
Old 11-24-2007, 09:09 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Buying a fully modded car FTL, for a number of reasons.
Old 11-24-2007, 09:13 AM

in this case yea, if he blows up that RB its going to be expensive to replace and half as expensive to fix (if it can)

surprisingly alot of the Nissans share the same sensors.
I just hope that he has the know how should something go wrong, and be able to fix it without having to tow it to some expensive shop to pay $$$ to fix something small.

I dont know if hes paying out of pocket or getting a bank to finanace, but if Its out of pocked, I'd rather just do the swap myself, buy the 240 and take it from start to finish. More gratifying for me.

Plus you know that the work is done right.. i mean if this was a 240 with a LS1 or something it wouldnt be that bad cuz LS1 parts are plentiful.. but that motor??? good luck
Old 11-24-2007, 09:18 AM

yea I see where your coming from. Even if i had a 240 I wouldnt do the swap for a number of reasons but a main reason is I cant go on car-part and search the US for an RB26 should something happens.

But dont under estimate the RB, it can tolerate a lot of abuse, and from the sounds of it, its build for the abuse but time will tell.

he can always order RB parts and have them shipped over and a local (trusted) shop do the work, but I dont know how many shops in his area are familiar with the RB.

hope has the fsm for it also
Old 11-24-2007, 09:19 AM
I hate being slow

Originally Posted by nismology
Buying a fully modded car FTL, for a number of reasons.
yea lately i've been thinking and i was gonna keep it for about 6-8 months change somethings on it then sale it for more and buy something different..but now i'm thinking instead of being able to change the front end and wheels and repaint and interior work..it'll cause more problems with the motor...the amount of work...would probably work great in an actual skyline but being in a chassis its not supposed to be....the problems...aren't worth it..spending 13500 for the car if it was done absolutely right...which i'm not sure and i'm trying to get ahold of the original owner to find out..but i think what i'm gonna do is just take a puddle instead of the whole pool...with everything i've been researching...with all that mods...maintanence is a daily requirement just to make it run...sounded great..and it was...main reason i just wanted to get it trick it flip it..sell it for like 17-18 some guy was asking for 30k but it had AC because he magically cut somethings and made it work out..however...this car as i've got my heads out of the high hp clouds...just isn't going to be right for me...however...i will still be getting a 240 and probably either and SR swap or something...i'll see...but as for this car if anybody wants it...the guys email is frozenpizza87@hotmail.com and he's looking to bounce it for 15
Old 11-24-2007, 09:21 AM
I hate being slow

yea I see where your coming from. Even if i had a 240 I wouldnt do the swap for a number of reasons but a main reason is I cant go on car-part and search the US for an RB26 should something happens.

But dont under estimate the RB, it can tolerate a lot of abuse, and from the sounds of it, its build for the abuse but time will tell.

he can always order RB parts and have them shipped over and a local (trusted) shop do the work, but I dont know how many shops in his area are familiar with the RB.

hope has the fsm for it also
none of the shops would only me and a few buddies would be able to fix..the only shops we have is one guy who does hondas and acuras and another shop who doesn't know what he's doing...but he got a dyno other than that nobody around here knows the RB shop wise...
Old 11-24-2007, 09:22 AM

I bet you the seller has been trying to sell that car for a long time. The idea of buying it and flipping it for more sounds great but im sure there is a small market for that car in its present condition.

I think the seller would have much better luck, pulling the RB and trans out, and selling them seperate and drop a KA back in there. Sell the wheels etc... basically put the car close back to stock and sell the mods seperate. Should make a decent amount that way.
Old 11-24-2007, 09:24 AM

if you needed parts ebay is a decent source
http://motors.search.ebay.com/rb26_P...40QQsacatZ6028
Old 11-24-2007, 10:11 AM

none of the shops would only me and a few buddies would be able to fix..the only shops we have is one guy who does hondas and acuras and another shop who doesn't know what he's doing...but he got a dyno other than that nobody around here knows the RB shop wise...
actually thats another thing to consider, if something were to go wrong there is no way in hell any shop other then the original shop (TM-works or whatever) will ever touch this car. Not even to change the oil.

I ran into this problem when i had a shortblock machined by a shop who went out of business before they finished my engine. Not a single shop in town would touch the block after that, because it was another shops work, i ended up having to network through a bunch of friends in my local car club to find a guy who ended up finishing it as a favour after hours and i paid out the freaking a$$ to get it finished. And that was just a basic rebuild on a very common easy to work with/easy to source parts for, engine.

If i had that much trouble just for a standard rebuild after another shop had touched the block think about what would happen if you tried to get someone to look at the 240

i guess what im trying to say is, you better be an excellent mechanic with a complete set of shop tools (and im not talking a 200pc socket set and various wrenchs), with knowledge (and experience!) in tearing engines down, how to tune an engine properly, etc etc. because if you buy this car your essentially dead in the water as far as any shop is concerned.

Last edited by J-hop; 11-24-2007 at 10:21 AM.
Old 11-24-2007, 11:28 AM

on the flip side you only live once. If you've always wanted a 240, and/or an RB26 also this the chance. Not many can afford to make a purchase such as this.

The RB series motor is an amazing motor for a reason. Its been built to handle higher than normal abuse (hence mod list) better than even a non built RB26. If you are confident that should anything go wrong you can source parts and get it fixed then hey why not. Any decent machine shop can examine the block and clean, mill down (if needed), hone the cylinder walls, etc if needed. If you can full disassemble the motor and build it back up, you'll much better off that someone who can just change a sensor or two.

think of the alternatives you can get for $13k.

you could drive $4k into the max and make it pretty damn fast.
Pick up a decent Z32TT and add some mods to it.
N/A Supra (if your lucky)
RX-7 TT (if your luck to find one un molested)
Old 11-24-2007, 11:40 AM

Hey i own a 96 240sx, for 13.5k you could easily build your own.
sr20 or KAT
coilovers
wheels
front lip
exhaust
downpipe
FMIC
and ECU tune

all for under 13.5 including the car. It will be much faster then what you already have and with a ton less headaches. If you really want that car, buy it and part out the car. You'll end up with a lot of your money back and a great chasis to start with.
Old 11-24-2007, 11:42 AM

There are a lot of shops coast to coast that have parts fr the rb 20,25,and 26. And honestly that is not a bad price at all for the car.
Old 11-24-2007, 12:10 PM
I hate being slow

it really isnt' a bad price..but the main thing i wanted is i'm going for 500+ and this car was cheaper than most ask for the car..and since i'm about to open a detailing business i wouldn't have enough time to dedicate to finishing the 240 until mid summer or next year even..so i just wanted and advance and i was thinkin why not..but with spending that kind of money i'm probably gonna be just better off going ahead and getting a regular 240sx...there is some guy with a 98 who has a built botttom end on a blacktop sr20 chassis has 99k on it motor has like 23 or something but he wants 10500 for his so i might buy if he comes down a bit on that price
Old 11-24-2007, 12:21 PM

it is priced pretty cheap... but like the other guyz said cheap with full mods, that to is buying someone's F***up u know what i mean... but thats just me.
Old 11-24-2007, 12:24 PM

it really isnt' a bad price..but the main thing i wanted is i'm going for 500+ and this car was cheaper than most ask for the car..and since i'm about to open a detailing business i wouldn't have enough time to dedicate to finishing the 240 until mid summer or next year even..so i just wanted and advance and i was thinkin why not..but with spending that kind of money i'm probably gonna be just better off going ahead and getting a regular 240sx...there is some guy with a 98 who has a built botttom end on a blacktop sr20 chassis has 99k on it motor has like 23 or something but he wants 10500 for his so i might buy if he comes down a bit on that price
I'd save the money for the detailing business. That money can really help to get the business off the ground. I'd do a few good power mods to the Max call it a day for now. Once the business is good and your in much better standings, get something new RWD.