4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

ssautochrome quality?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 10:29 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by maximabebe
For the price of quality headers plus the $350 the he paid for installation, the cost doesn't match the horsepower gains IMO; but then again I wouldn't pay another for the labor. I would rather put that cash into a 00VI as well as a Greddy EU, or better yet, dump in some more money and force induce the vehicle.

Gains minimal.

No dyno no care.

Old 12-09-2007, 12:26 PM
dot dot dot ...

20+ fwhp. I've posted the dynos numerous amount of times. If you're serious about modding, you'll get quality headers. I too was anti header on the A32, but after much research/consideration/looking outside the box, I realized they are necessary for maximum performance. I’ve even posted the links where I was calling out headers and saying that they are not worth it. But, now I know they add a proven 20+fwhp over stock. Unless you can find a 1st gen Stillen Y, headers are the real way to go for power.

Last edited by NmexMAX; 12-09-2007 at 12:29 PM.
Old 12-09-2007, 05:21 PM

^^Really? I've never heard that, do you still have a dyno sheet? What else was done to your car when you installed headers? I'm genuinely curious, I've never heard that. I've never had first hand experience, just from what I've read on here there is other places where I'd rather spend my money.
Old 12-09-2007, 05:31 PM
dot dot dot ...

http://forums.maxima.org/showpost.ph...7&postcount=27
Old 12-09-2007, 08:30 PM

0.o Wow man, im pretty broke though, what would you suggest about that package from ssautochrome? I know it won't be as high as cattman headers probably but it still should put gains like near the cattman.
Old 12-09-2007, 08:37 PM

I havent been on these forums in months and I come back to the same questions being asked when I first joined.

Bottom line, you get what you pay for.
Old 12-09-2007, 08:57 PM

Eh that's not always true, you can buy a Lincoln but at the end of the day it will still be ford quality.
Old 12-10-2007, 04:29 PM

Well doesn't the cattman headers come with a y-pipe too? If that's the case you can't really attribute all the gains due to the headers.

Basically why I'm trying to say is that (from what I've seen) the gains are minimal compared to the cost installation. So that for the money and time you could get better gains.

Also side note: thanks for actually responding to my other post. I was rereading my post and it sounded really sarcastic, and I didn't want it to seem that way, but it did. So sorry.
Old 12-10-2007, 04:56 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by markd248
Well doesn't the cattman headers come with a y-pipe too? If that's the case you can't really attribute all the gains due to the headers.
Yes, they do. The Cattman headers and y-pipe make up a 'system' so to speak, ie you can't have one w/o the other, and we typically call the 'system' just headers as it's easier and shorter to type and is understood what is meant. At least that's how I think/write and how I think most orgers do to. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 12-10-2007, 05:00 PM
a.k.a. STuNtMAN

Originally Posted by MaximaPimpin
Has any one ever ordered the headers and y pipe from ssautochrome.com? They have a real good deal for headers and the y pipe which are both polished for $195, but i don't know about the quality of their y pipes. I don't want to be stuck with the bees-in-can. Also do ya'll recommend adding a b pipe and a high flow cat, and would it be a good combination to finish it off with a Cattman exhaust? Thanks for the help guys.
i have the SSautochrome headers in my 99 maxima i havent hadd no problems wit them just dont use the gaskets they come wit they cant hold up the heat use OEM gaskets i got great gains wit headers wit my 00vi its great but i want more power i bought my headers off of ebay about 2yrs ago then when i did my 5spd swap this yr i put it on when i did the swap lolz
Old 12-10-2007, 06:03 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by The Wizard
Yes, they do. The Cattman headers and y-pipe make up a 'system' so to speak, ie you can't have one w/o the other, and we typically call the 'system' just headers as it's easier and shorter to type and is understood what is meant. At least that's how I think/write and how I think most orgers do to. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
I’d back this claim.
Old 12-10-2007, 06:18 PM

It seems that anyone who actually owns the SSautochrome package have no complaints about it, do you experience any of the bees in can sound with it? I'm starting to reconsider and go ahead and get them.
Old 12-10-2007, 06:23 PM
dot dot dot ...

I'd like to see a illegitimate dyno of the SSautochromies.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:38 AM
Godzilla

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...deoID=23277133

SS Chrome headers/y-pipe + cheap test pipe + home made catback

It sounds like **** cause the cameras so close but just to give you an idea. No bees in a can for me, not like a honda anywayz.
Old 12-11-2007, 12:08 PM

Yeah i was watching your video when i was checking out your catback. The one at night sounded really deep and nice.
Old 12-11-2007, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by The Wizard
Alright that's what I thought, thanks for the clarification. So yeah the dyno chart is impressive, but the problem is that not all of that is attributed to the headers, but I guess there is no real clear cut way to test out the cattman system.

OT: Your car is amazing, its definitely one of the best 4th gens.
Old 12-11-2007, 12:25 PM
dot dot dot ...

Alright that's what I thought, thanks for the clarification. So yeah the dyno chart is impressive, but the problem is that not all of that is attributed to the headers, but I guess there is no real clear cut way to test out the cattman system.

OT: Your car is amazing, its definitely one of the best 4th gens.
Actually, that was the only change if you're referring to the dyno I posted.
Old 12-11-2007, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
Actually, that was the only change if you're referring to the dyno I posted.
Yeah I was, I thought the headers were different lengths than the stock ones, thus making it impossible to run just the cattman y-pipe without the cattman headers. Correct me if I'm wrong, and you got 19 hp from JUST headers, nothing else added from the base pull and the other one.
Old 12-11-2007, 07:59 PM
dot dot dot ...

Yeah I was, I thought the headers were different lengths than the stock ones, thus making it impossible to run just the cattman y-pipe without the cattman headers. Correct me if I'm wrong, and you got 19 hp from JUST headers, nothing else added from the base pull and the other one.
The dyno I posted was showing gains from the header system, it’s been known for years that the cattman header set-up cannot be run with the stand alone cattman y-pipe. This is not true for the 6th gen folks though
Old 12-12-2007, 12:28 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

There are a few different places selling the headers and y pipe combination for around $190-200.

comparing the pictures.. i mean its not like the piping they use is a lot thinner or anything if anything it looks thicker

heres one of the ebay ones below
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/95-01...spagenameZWDVW

and this is the other one on ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...003676333&rd=1

and compare those which both obviously come with headers too the budget below for about the same price...without headers
Old 12-12-2007, 06:24 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by 97maxyGLE
There are a few different places selling the headers and y pipe combination for around $190-200.

comparing the pictures.. i mean its not like the piping they use is a lot thinner or anything if anything it looks thicker

heres one of the ebay ones below
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/95-01...spagenameZWDVW

and this is the other one on ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...003676333&rd=1

and compare those which both obviously come with headers too the budget below for about the same price...without headers
They might as well just sell ya the shine....
Old 12-12-2007, 07:00 PM
dot dot dot ...

It's not the piping thickness, it's the design of the runners.
Old 12-12-2007, 07:29 PM
Banned

seeing as how i PROTOTYPED THEM. i figured i should say something. like i do every time one of these threads come up. they are fine but add NOTHING over a y-pipe in terms of performance. the shorty header is of unequal length. if you want to add some bling they are fine. i hear they fixed the EGR issues that were a problem with the prototypes. if i had a 4th gen i would buy these ONLY because they look nice and cost close to what a budget y pipe costs.

you can close the thread now. i'v spoken.
Old 12-12-2007, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by Torgus
seeing as how i PROTOTYPED THEM. i figured i should say something. like i do every time one of these threads come up. they are fine but add NOTHING over a y-pipe in terms of performance. the shorty header is of unequal length. if you want to add some bling they are fine. i hear they fixed the EGR issues that were a problem with the prototypes. if i had a 4th gen i would buy these ONLY because they look nice and cost close to what a budget y pipe costs.

you can close the thread now. i'v spoken.
Good info.
Old 09-20-2008, 10:57 AM

I know this thread is old but, i had usefull input for ppl looking into these headers.

I know its a different engine (3.5l) but i had the SS Autochrome headers and y-pipe on my '03 stock cat, stock b pipe, with just a borla muffler welded in. automatic tranny, stock wheels and stock crappy tires and ran 14.3's 1/4 mile all day with tire spin off the line.. with the same set-up, no headers the week before ran consistant 14.8's Thats quite the improvement for $200.00

Dyno's and HP don't mean SH*T, what really matters is the track numbers. and by the way my low end torque wasn't hurt cause i was still pulling 2.1 60ft's

vid. of the SS Autochrome Headers and Y-Pipe with borla muffler:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRe45DnHQQc

Last edited by paul5:14; 09-20-2008 at 11:04 AM.
Old 09-20-2008, 11:02 PM
The Golden One

I also have these headers. No issues with them. Install went okay...rear header was a PITA.

I had the Y-Pipe too but it was too loud (I don't really know if I'd call it bees-in-a-can). I sold it and got a OEM Fed Spec. pipe.

The rest of my setup is Magnaflow High-Flow Cat, Budget B-Pipe, OEM 4th Gen Muffler.

I am thinking about going to a Cattman Y, and Cattman SS Muffler...but unsure if I'd have the same loudness as before.

I want a car that sounds almost stock when idling (right now I have a slight rumble) and nice at WOT. I don't want to sound like a Civic.

My car sounds perfect with my setup, just how I like it.