4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

B&M STS Help

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 03:21 PM

B&M STS Help

Well my brother and i just attempted to install the STS on my car. we pretty much followed the instructions but there was a little confusion about where large retainer ring should actually go.

When we first initially got the short shifter in and connected it with the 2 bolts, it felt very stiff. My brother said maybe it needs to be broken in which i think it shouldn't need to should it? Also we noticed that when you push down on the shifter it goes right down.

I thought maybe there is something on the bottom that prevents that so we put the heat shield and cat back into place.

Now the shifter can barely move because it rubs on the heat shield. Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Old 12-13-2007, 03:40 PM

Acually I believe STS's do need to be broken in a bit, the stiff feeling is normal at first.

Short shifters on the A32 typically require you to take a hammer to the heat shield or it will scrape. Take that sucker off and bang away.

I am not sure what you're talking about with the retainer ring so I cannot help you there.
Old 12-13-2007, 04:13 PM
I support for what?

So where did u add the snap ring at? It goes on the inside of the cabin. It holds the shifter up in place.

Also yes it will be stiff at first. It the fact you are not used to it. And yes it is going to be rougher then your stock shifter. No ques about that. Gears will be a bit harder to get into at first but you get used to it.

And you do not have to bend anything to make the B&M shifter fit. It is a direst swap.
Old 12-13-2007, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Mxrider52
So where did u add the snap ring at? It goes on the inside of the cabin. It holds the shifter up in place.

Also yes it will be stiff at first. It the fact you are not used to it. And yes it is going to be rougher then your stock shifter. No ques about that. Gears will be a bit harder to get into at first but you get used to it.

And you do not have to bend anything to make the B&M shifter fit. It is a direst swap.

Yea I added the ring from inside the cabin. I think it might not be snapped on right onto the shift pivot. Is it possible that this might be the cause of the rubbing?

Man when I try to get it into reverse, it feels like its not even engaging. Im hoping its because of the rubbing issue.
Old 12-13-2007, 04:36 PM
I support for what?

Originally Posted by Redline Maxima
Yea I added the ring from inside the cabin. I think it might not be snapped on right onto the shift pivot. Is it possible that this might be the cause of the rubbing?

Man when I try to get it into reverse, it feels like its not even engaging. Im hoping its because of the rubbing issue.
Is the ring popped back together? Or is there a large gap? There is a hole around the shifter that the ring sits in.
Old 12-13-2007, 04:49 PM

When I did my STS, we put the heat shield back on, attempted a shift and realized that it banged and rattled against it and went away with it. You shouldn't have any problems without a heat shield. And it will feel very stiff for the first few days/weeks. It's completely normal.
Old 12-13-2007, 05:00 PM

yea its gonna be stiff. First time i drove my friends maxima with a ss i was like dude em i in nuertal hes like na man first lol. Great times
Old 12-13-2007, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by Mxrider52
Is the ring popped back together? Or is there a large gap? There is a hole around the shifter that the ring sits in.
there is a gap. i think its not sitting properly in that ring. i will double check tomorrow

Originally Posted by 99BlackMaxMS
When I did my STS, we put the heat shield back on, attempted a shift and realized that it banged and rattled against it and went away with it. You shouldn't have any problems without a heat shield. And it will feel very stiff for the first few days/weeks. It's completely normal.
are there any cons from completely getting rid of the heat shield? is there anything different that you noticed?
Old 12-13-2007, 08:19 PM
I support for what?

there is a gap. i think its not sitting properly in that ring. i will double check tomorrow

are there any cons from completely getting rid of the heat shield? is there anything different that you noticed?
Yea I believe that ring was kinda hard to get on especially having to have snap ring pliers.

It will heat up your floor. There no reason to not have it. B&M shifter is like the only shifter that will fit without any modifications. So leave it there.
Old 12-13-2007, 08:58 PM

No differences at all....and it does not heat up my floor anymore than it did with the heat shield. If you can fit it, by all means put it back on, but if it rubs, I would just do with it. No harm done from removing it....
Old 12-15-2007, 07:52 PM

ok problem fixed. we took apart the whole thing again and reassembled it. the first time we had the small retainer ring in the wrong place, it was supposed to be the last part to go on. Also the large retainer ring wasn't snapped on properly.

This time there was no issues with the heat shield. Man what a difference. I no longer feel like i am driving a truck, lol. This is definately better than stock. Can't wait till the new clutch gets installed to complement this.
Old 12-15-2007, 10:22 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

change your tranny fluid while you're at it and it should feel even better
Old 12-15-2007, 10:47 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I hate that stupid larger retainer ring. That thing is the most pointless pos ever designed into something. WTF is the reason for that thing being 2-piece....... Oh waiyt there iS NO REASON, except to make it so they can use a whicked hard to install c-clip, it is NOT needed, neither is the giant lip that makes the thiong so damn hard to install! and on top of that the guys putting the kits togethor at the factory were like "F this, this thing is impossible, we'll let the customer put this on"

Arrrgh, had to vent about that stupid clip.

yeah you already figured it out....... But I was gonna say the small clip is why it drops.

Side note, if anyone ever loses the small clip, a circlip for a 2-stroke piston works pro. 1st b&m I installed the dude went through the box & deamed it unnescassary/trash worthy.

Last edited by KRRZ350; 12-15-2007 at 10:50 PM.