4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Making The Horn Blow With The Hazard Lights

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2001, 05:26 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Making The Horn Blow With The Hazard Lights

i have an idea, and i wouldnt know how to do it if it would. you know when you push the lock button on the key fob, and the hazard lights flash? well, when i rewired my foglights, i saw the wires for the horn, and thought that maybe you could tie in a wire between the horn and, maybe the light that flashes when you push the button. Or maybe hook it to something else, but it seems like that might work.. Although, i wouldnt want the lights to start flshing when i hit the horn... or would i..? oh well, anyway, you guys think this could work??
Old 10-25-2001, 05:42 PM

you would need a flasher, so when your alarm goes off it will "flash" the horn rather than have it just go on constantly. Id say have it doen by a local stereo/alram shop. Its not a job for the everyday person.

Re: Making The Horn Blow With The Hazard Lights

Originally posted by DrivinDaMax98
i have an idea, and i wouldnt know how to do it if it would. you know when you push the lock button on the key fob, and the hazard lights flash? well, when i rewired my foglights, i saw the wires for the horn, and thought that maybe you could tie in a wire between the horn and, maybe the light that flashes when you push the button. Or maybe hook it to something else, but it seems like that might work.. Although, i wouldnt want the lights to start flshing when i hit the horn... or would i..? oh well, anyway, you guys think this could work??
I think that is possible, if you can find the wire that is coming from the alarm that supply the input for the hazard to flash. Splice that wire to connect to relay then the other side of the relay to the horn. Then every time you press the lock button, the hazard will flash and it sounds the horn.

...i saw the wires for the horn, and thought that maybe you could tie in a wire between the horn and, maybe the light that flashes when you push the button
hmm...do you want the horns to go off when you need to use your hazard lights in emergency situation?
Old 10-25-2001, 05:53 PM

drivindamax98

Could I still do that to the top grille section because I have the front license plate ??
or would it look stupid ?
would it still work with the front licence plate ?
thanks

Old 10-25-2001, 06:02 PM

Re: drivindamax98

Originally posted by matty
Could I still do that to the top grille section because I have the front license plate ??
or would it look stupid ?
would it still work with the front licence plate ?
thanks

yeah i say go for it, definantly the top and i dont think the bottoms would look bad with the liscense plate..
Old 10-25-2001, 06:09 PM

Re: Re: Making The Horn Blow With The Hazard Lights

Originally posted by Enduro

hmm...do you want the horns to go off when you need to use your hazard lights in emergency situation?

haaha, nooo but,
Originally posted by NiMax

if you can find the wire that is coming from the alarm that supply the input for the hazard to flash.
i think that wouldnt let it flash with the emergency hazards..?
Old 10-25-2001, 08:43 PM

Imagine how loud that horn would be. Some cars have a muted horn "chirp" when the stocker alarms are turned on or off. I don't think you can duplicate the small chirp on a 4th gen. Applying power to the horn relay will cause the horn to beep at its normal intensity, far too loud to make the chirp convenient.
Old 10-26-2001, 08:50 AM

Why do you want to alert people that you are locking your car? Also, what if you were coming in late at night? Don't want to wake up the neighbors. My gf's car has a 'chirp' when you lock/unlock the doors and I HATE it. I think she does as well, b/c she never uses her keyless entry anymore (never setting the alarm). That is a luxury we have with our factory alarm, we can just lock the doors and the alarm sets automatically. Personally I think it would be much more work than it is worth (and you don't want to screw up your electrical system-had a VW with a bad electrical system and it was the worst). It's your car and up to you, but it will get annoying!
Old 10-26-2001, 10:14 AM

What Ford does for there F-150's is that you hit it once and it locks and if you hit it again after that...then it gives a warning beep to let you know you locked it. Thats good so if your in a hurry away from your car you know you locked it...plus his horn is loud as he**

Old 10-26-2001, 11:33 AM

Re: Re: Re: Making The Horn Blow With The Hazard Lights

haaha, nooo but,

i think that wouldnt let it flash with the emergency hazards..?
Well you said "tie in a wire between the horn and, maybe the light that flashes when you push the button", so I'm assuming the light that flashes IS the hazard lights and if you're using that for either power or signal to the horn relay then yes as long as the lights are on so will your horns
Old 10-26-2001, 02:18 PM

Re: ....

Originally posted by matty
What Ford does for there F-150's is that you hit it once and it locks and if you hit it again after that...then it gives a warning beep to let you know you locked it. Thats good so if your in a hurry away from your car you know you locked it...plus his horn is loud as he**

Ford does this with all of their cars with keyless entry, not just the F-150. Good idea I suppose, but it's still a ford
Old 10-26-2001, 02:56 PM

I am almost ready to do this but just never got around to. I found a solenoid (sp?) in the trunk latch area that sends pulses of signal to the blinkers. If you stand very close to the rear of the car and lock/unlock with the key fab, you can actually hear the selenoid. I used an ohmeter and figured out which circuits to hook up to the horn (there are 6 circuits if I recall and only two should be hooked up to the horn). I now just need to find the most efficient way to route the wire from the rear to the horn in the front.
Old 10-26-2001, 05:50 PM

Oh man, I thought you meant to flash your hazzards when you leaned on the horn.......

I was like "what the hell would you want to do that for?!"
Old 10-27-2001, 07:46 AM

What about when you use your turns signals. It's the same wiring to the lights, wouldn't that set off the horn too. Man how funny would it be to honk your horn everytime you put on your turn signal
Old 10-27-2001, 08:41 AM

Yes there is a way. Trip the alarm everytime you lock your car. That will get everyone's attention. That's your intention, isn't it? Why else would you want to have the horn beep when you lock your car.
Old 10-27-2001, 06:55 PM

Re: Re: Making The Horn Blow With The Hazard Lights

Originally posted by Maximus97SE

Yes there is a way. Trip the alarm everytime you lock your car. That will get everyone's attention. That's your intention, isn't it? Why else would you want to have the horn beep when you lock your car.
why else would car manufacturers put that on their new cars? because its a feature, and people must like it.. i would like to know when my doors are locked and not look back to see if the lights flash, i also think its pretty cool.
Old 10-27-2001, 06:59 PM

Re: Re: ....

Originally posted by JdawgX

Ford does this with all of their cars with keyless entry, not just the F-150. Good idea I suppose, but it's still a ford
well, my dads got a 99 crown vic, and his doesnt do that, first time you press it, it beeps..
Old 10-28-2001, 01:41 AM
MaxedOut97SE

Why do you want to hear your horn honk when you lock your car? All that does is remind people that you have a sh!tty a$$ factory alarm in the first place.

Old 10-28-2001, 05:03 PM

unless you get some circuitry built, forget it. forgot whos comment it was, but hazards = turn signals is correct.

if you wanna try it.. follow the steps for installing an aftermarket system. stop after you've pulled out the middle vents. (the clock, hazard, and defrost)

try to signal. your interior wont signal, neither will the external.

get the idea?