4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

rear brakes on fire!

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 09:48 PM

rear brakes on fire!

I was driving to the store lastnight, and another Maxima pulled up next to me and told me that my rear brakes were on fire! I drove home and sure enoughy they stank a whole bunch. To make matters worse, I just replaced the rear calipers with black powder coated ones! Ever since Midas installed my SS brake lines a year ago, they broke my driver side rear caliper's e brake, so I was driving with only one e brake working for almost a year. I just installed the new calipers and now they seem to be constantly engaged, and my e brake lever has no resistance until about an inch from the disengagement. My question is: Did i ruin the Calipers? I hope not...any suggestions as to why they are constantly engaged? Maybe the cable is messed up? They only engage constantly half the time, the other half they seemed okay.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:50 PM

These aren't new brake pads are they?
Old 01-15-2008, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by KillaJakez
These aren't new brake pads are they?
oh yes, sorry they're new in the back, the fronts are the ones that Midas changed about a year ago. That's the problem?
Old 01-15-2008, 10:06 PM
No more Maximas...

If you don't use the parking brake (and of course I don't really suggest this at all, but it's your car), you could just unhook the cable and make sure the lever is set to the disengaged point, problem solved.

Well...averted, anyway.
Old 01-15-2008, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by pmohr
If you don't use the parking brake (and of course I don't really suggest this at all, but it's your car), you could just unhook the cable and make sure the lever is set to the disengaged point, problem solved.

Well...averted, anyway.
I use the parking break frequently. You think the calipers seals are damaged or anything? You have any other ideas how I can fix this?
Old 01-15-2008, 10:34 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by Maximeltman
I use the parking break frequently. You think the calipers seals are damaged or anything? You have any other ideas how I can fix this?
Have you taken a look at the cable? It's common for the cables to be damaged right about where they attach at the trailing arms, due to improper lifting techniques.
Old 01-16-2008, 03:03 AM
Maintenance Monster

+1 on the parking brake cables. They get damaged, rust internally, and start sticking. Once they're sticking your rear brakes drag HARD.
Old 01-16-2008, 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by dgeesaman
+1 on the parking brake cables. They get damaged, rust internally, and start sticking. Once they're sticking your rear brakes drag HARD.
So if theyre sticking then I need to lubricate or replace them? I think that they are sticking which would explain the freeplay in the brake lever. You think the calipers are still good though?
Old 01-16-2008, 04:54 AM
Sold

fire and calipers = no good results.

I would bet that:
1) your rotors are warped do to the heating
2) any rubber bits (dust boots) are long gone and melted away.
3) you parking brake cable needs to be replaced.

You might be ok with a rebuild kit, but I think I would just buy some loaded calipers and return the "fire sale" ones for the core charge.

Oh, and how did midas mess up your rear parking brake cable if they were working on the front brakes?
Old 01-16-2008, 05:14 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

I just replaced the rear calipers with black powder coated ones! .
Who/where did the powder coated calipers come from? If the coating is on any surface that slides, such as the inside of the caliper or the piston, thats a problem. Also check to make sure your guide pins are not siezed up. Thats a common problem with our brakes and it's an easy fix as well.
Old 01-16-2008, 05:30 AM

yeah, the cables also rub on some clip or w/e and that exposes the cable as well. the dealer fixed mine with some kind of sealant and then taped up the exposed area.
Old 01-16-2008, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by JSMax
fire and calipers = no good results.

I would bet that:
1) your rotors are warped do to the heating
2) any rubber bits (dust boots) are long gone and melted away.
3) you parking brake cable needs to be replaced.

You might be ok with a rebuild kit, but I think I would just buy some loaded calipers and return the "fire sale" ones for the core charge.

Oh, and how did midas mess up your rear parking brake cable if they were working on the front brakes?
Midas installed my ss brake lines, and when I picked the car back up, only one of the calipers ebrake worked, but initially I thought it was just way out of adjustment, so when I went back a few weeks later, they claimed no responsibility. sux for me
Old 01-16-2008, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
Who/where did the powder coated calipers come from? If the coating is on any surface that slides, such as the inside of the caliper or the piston, thats a problem. Also check to make sure your guide pins are not siezed up. Thats a common problem with our brakes and it's an easy fix as well.
eBay. I hope they're ok.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:45 AM
Maintenance Monster

So if theyre sticking then I need to lubricate or replace them? I think that they are sticking which would explain the freeplay in the brake lever. You think the calipers are still good though?
Replace both cables together.

I don't know what condition your calipers are in. It's possible that the seals in them are now damaged from the extreme heat, but I'd just start with the cables and see what happens.

Dave
Old 01-16-2008, 10:14 AM

thanks for the information!!
Old 01-16-2008, 12:59 PM

When I put my new powdercoated rear calipers on, and new brakes, my right rear brake had white smoke coming out from it with a nasty smell. when I stopped the car, there was serious smoke coming from the caliper. It stopped after 10 minutes and never happened again. It happens sometimes when breaking in new brakes. It shouldn't happen again.
Old 01-16-2008, 02:14 PM
Maintenance Monster

Originally Posted by KillaJakez
When I put my new powdercoated rear calipers on, and new brakes, my right rear brake had white smoke coming out from it with a nasty smell. when I stopped the car, there was serious smoke coming from the caliper. It stopped after 10 minutes and never happened again. It happens sometimes when breaking in new brakes. It shouldn't happen again.
That shouldn't happen. Ever.
Old 01-16-2008, 02:20 PM
STFU n00b!

If the parking brake lines are siezed, you'll be able to tell by checking the position of the arms on the calipers with the brake down.. then have someone pull the brake up and watch at the caliper for movement. if they don't move, then one or both lines are siezed.
If they do move, then it may possibly be the slider pins on the caliper that are frozen, causing the caliper to always push on the pads causing the brakes to bind.

If you can get to the exhaust heat shield easily, pull it off under the parking brake handle and have someone work the brake lever inside the car. you can see if they're moving properly there too.
If so, then you 'wasted' a 1/2 hour. If not, then you're 1/2 way done with the job of replacing the frozen lines.

FYI, the lines aren't that expensive from the dealer. like $20 or so. really not as $$ as I thought they would be.
Old 01-16-2008, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
If the parking brake lines are siezed, you'll be able to tell by checking the position of the arms on the calipers with the brake down.. then have someone pull the brake up and watch at the caliper for movement. if they don't move, then one or both lines are siezed.
If they do move, then it may possibly be the slider pins on the caliper that are frozen, causing the caliper to always push on the pads causing the brakes to bind.

If you can get to the exhaust heat shield easily, pull it off under the parking brake handle and have someone work the brake lever inside the car. you can see if they're moving properly there too.
If so, then you 'wasted' a 1/2 hour. If not, then you're 1/2 way done with the job of replacing the frozen lines.

FYI, the lines aren't that expensive from the dealer. like $20 or so. really not as $$ as I thought they would be.
$20 dollars from the dealer? That's great news because on eBay they're selling for like $70 each.
Old 01-16-2008, 06:50 PM
Maintenance Monster

The average dealer will nick you $130 for the pair. They are not $20/ea.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:08 PM

That shouldn't happen. Ever.
damn. so went wrong in my case?
Old 01-16-2008, 09:11 PM

i've smoked plenty of front pads. but you should never be able to smoke the rears with a stock setup.
Old 01-17-2008, 07:34 AM

Even if you can fix the problem, your rotors are shot. Get new rotors once you fix the caliper issue.
Old 01-17-2008, 09:46 AM
Maintenance Monster

Originally Posted by 97maximaman
Even if you can fix the problem, your rotors are shot. Get new rotors once you fix the caliper issue.
Why? Either they are warped or they are not. If they didn't warp they're fine. I'd check the thickness and use them again.

Guys at the track regularly run rotors so hot they crack. Their problem is wear and cracking, not warping.

Dave
Old 01-17-2008, 08:56 PM

Why? Either they are warped or they are not. If they didn't warp they're fine. I'd check the thickness and use them again.

Guys at the track regularly run rotors so hot they crack. Their problem is wear and cracking, not warping.

Dave
DAMMIT LOL I just ordered new rear rotors.
the thing that concerns me the most now is the condition of the calipers, I hope the seals are still good.
Old 01-17-2008, 10:33 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
Collapsed hoses can cause that also, but I don't think that's even possible with ss one's, but it's very easy to check for. Crack the bleeder screw, if the wheel suddenly spins easy.... bingo!