4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Before I replace my broken clock, is there anything to check?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 09:33 PM

Before I replace my broken clock, is there anything to check?

Before I shell out the $20-25 for a replacement clock, is there anything I can check besides the connections as to why it isn't working? Is there a fuse or something else to check?
Old 01-25-2008, 09:52 PM

yes, try the very top right fuse (7.5amp) in the fuse panel under the wheel...in my case AFTER i bought a clock did i find it.
Old 01-26-2008, 06:54 AM
Sold

hit your horn. If that dosn't work, it will be your fuse.
Horn, cig. lighter and clock are all on the same fuse.
good luck.
Old 01-26-2008, 08:00 AM
Proud Maxima Owner

What are the syptoms? Do you have the clock out of the car? If you do, check the clock's circuit board. Make sure there isn't any loose solder connections. This is what went wrong on mine. It was flickering when I went over bumps. If I hit the dash board it would come back on then randomly shut off. I ended up fixing it myself by re-soldering the pins on the board.
Old 01-26-2008, 06:45 PM
Insert witty catch phrase here

I have the same problem with my clock, it goes on and off whenever it feels like it. No fuse problems or anything. I'm replacing it tomorrow. I think it's just a problem these cars sometimes have
Old 01-26-2008, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by Trajiksmax
What are the syptoms? Do you have the clock out of the car? If you do, check the clock's circuit board. Make sure there isn't any loose solder connections. This is what went wrong on mine. It was flickering when I went over bumps. If I hit the dash board it would come back on then randomly shut off. I ended up fixing it myself by re-soldering the pins on the board.
I replaced the fuse but It did not solve my problem. I will try this method.
The clock fades and It shuts off and you have to hit it to get it working. My clock fades away when I am going WOT and It resets back to 1:00.
Old 01-26-2008, 08:14 PM

well if you find it cannot be fixed, i have a clock for you
Old 01-26-2008, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by slow97maxima
well if you find it cannot be fixed, i have a clock for you
How much Is It and Is It in good condition.
Old 01-26-2008, 10:45 PM

did you check wire connection?
also check for power in wires
Old 05-27-2008, 06:18 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I experienced the same issues as you and have removed the clock, but I don't have any experience inspecting circuit boards for failed contact points. Do you know which pins were in need of re-soldering? I suspect the solution you provided will also work for me, but I just need assistance identifying the faulty pins.

Thank you.

Regards
Old 05-28-2008, 07:38 AM
Beast Mode!!!

Originally Posted by vqmaxman
I replaced the fuse but It did not solve my problem. I will try this method.
The clock fades and It shuts off and you have to hit it to get it working. My clock fades away when I am going WOT and It resets back to 1:00.
You should check the flux capacitor if you are having that problem
Old 03-24-2009, 09:25 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Resolder and repair

If you take the clock apart (it pops apart without tools) and resolder the four pins that make up the connector, your clock will work until the tranny drops.
The original factory solder job didn't have enough solder. The connections become fractured after all the bumps and potholes of life. The process should take less than an hour.....

Good luck.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:36 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by kb2umj
If you take the clock apart (it pops apart without tools) and resolder the four pins that make up the connector, your clock will work until the tranny drops.
The original factory solder job didn't have enough solder. The connections become fractured after all the bumps and potholes of life. The process should take less than an hour.....

Good luck.
wow...this thread is almost a year old, man.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by allensteiner21
wow...this thread is almost a year old, man.
and he used the search feature like you are supposed to do to answer a VERY big problem of the 4th gen.

hell mine is fading in and out and i have to give it a good thump every time i get in to see it. without his post i never would have thought of doing that. so it was very helpful, unlike your post.
Old 03-24-2009, 12:37 PM

If your clock is turning off and resetting randomly it's time for a new one. I tried re-soldering mine and it didn't fix the problem. I eventually had to bite it and bought one off ebay for $10.
Old 03-24-2009, 01:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 95.maxima
and he used the search feature like you are supposed to do to answer a VERY big problem of the 4th gen.

hell mine is fading in and out and i have to give it a good thump every time i get in to see it. without his post i never would have thought of doing that. so it was very helpful, unlike your post.
my bad, i never realised that the clock fading was such a HUGE problem
post #4 already has the answer to the issue so maybe instead of just skimming through noobs(read: YOU) should read through more thoroughly?
here's an idea - lets all start digging up old threads and posting answers to questions nobody has asked in a long time
i'm not saying i'm perfect but there's much better ways to bump your post count - go to the general chat.

btw if you had a watch you wouldn't see the car clock fading as such a big problem of the 4th gen