4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Help me with Mods on my maxima??

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 06:23 PM

Help me with Mods on my maxima??

Hi, i have a 95 maxima se with a 5 spd. I am thinking about investing into the car. The car has 152K miles, trans will have to be rebuilt pretty soon and has slipping clutch, but still drives pretty good. Do you think it is worth investing in my car? I was thinking about a turbo kit, but for that i will probably have to rebuild my engine and stuff. What do you think? Or would it be better for me to get a faster car?
Old 02-25-2008, 06:28 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

ummmm man i think u should get the car fixed before u start putting turbos and stuff on it
Old 02-25-2008, 06:50 PM

that is why i am asking, should i even fix the car, thus invest in it??
Old 02-25-2008, 06:54 PM

If you like the car and can afford the repairs and the mods... then go for it. Im not sure why you want us to tell you what you want...
Old 02-25-2008, 06:58 PM

you should turbo it, then blow up your engine, then sell me the turbo

no seriously...if you like the car enough to want to keep it for a while and want it to be faster then yes a turbo can be a good idea, granted you know what you are doing and your car is in good enough shape for a turbo.

if you dont necessarily care about your car and you just plain out want a faster car then you should probly just buy a faster car.

i have no idea what your car looks like or how it runs...its up to you if its worth it to invest.
Old 02-25-2008, 06:58 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by LeVeL
If you like the car and can afford the repairs and the mods...
Old 02-25-2008, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by 19max95
Hi, i have a 95 maxima se with a 5 spd. I am thinking about investing into the car. The car has 152K miles, trans will have to be rebuilt pretty soon and has slipping clutch, but still drives pretty good. Do you think it is worth investing in my car? I was thinking about a turbo kit, but for that i will probably have to rebuild my engine and stuff. What do you think? Or would it be better for me to get a faster car?

A 10 plus year old car will come as a car with REPAIRS !! That's the jest of it, regardless. I would buy a new car. Dumping a few K in your car that's depreciated that much wouldn't be worth it, that is if your even accountable for that much mileage on it.
Old 02-25-2008, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by black_maxed95
you should turbo it, then blow up your engine, then sell me the turbo

no seriously...if you like the car enough to want to keep it for a while and want it to be faster then yes a turbo can be a good idea, granted you know what you are doing and your car is in good enough shape for a turbo.

if you dont necessarily care about your car and you just plain out want a faster car then you should probly just buy a faster car.

i have no idea what your car looks like or how it runs...its up to you if its worth it to invest.
Im with this guy and he's from the north country like me so we think alike.
Old 02-26-2008, 05:19 AM
wants an I35

just put the minimum into it so it drives and drive it. maximas are plenty fast.

any performance mods you do wont cause the car to be "worth more" down the road. it will be worth the same.
Old 02-26-2008, 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by ROCKART
just put the minimum into it so it drives and drive it. maximas are plenty fast.

any performance mods you do wont cause the car to be "worth more" down the road. it will be worth the same.
Im with him here. So if you do mod it dont think you will get more when you sell. I bought a 99 with 120k for 2k with a ton of mods. So think about it and do what you can afford.
Old 02-26-2008, 05:37 AM

get the car in perfect driving condition man and just take it easy.
Old 02-26-2008, 05:44 AM

Maximas are fast?

+1 on the "worth" - mods make the car worth less, not more, because it is automatically assumed that you beat on the car if you modded it. The only way that you will be able to see your modded maxima for more than its worth stock is if you blow a ridiculous amount of money on it and even then you'll lose in the end.
Old 02-26-2008, 07:39 AM
Turbo 4th Gen

its all in how you think i bought my 95 about 2months ago so far i did:

1 injector
2 MaF Sensors
1 knock Sensor
1 coolant Temp Sensor
1 TPS Sensor
and iam in the process of doing my waterpump as we speak i paid 1700 with 150k on it and plus the clutch will need to be replaced soon(its not really slipping yet) like i said its all in your mind set
Old 02-26-2008, 07:47 AM
wants an I35

2 maf sensors? did the first one break ?
Old 02-26-2008, 10:48 AM
Sold

First of all, you don't really invest anything other than time into a car. It dosen't matter the make, model, or whatever. $$$$ spent on aftermarket is the same as flushing money down the toilet. Once you go down that road, it's a rather slippery slope and you will want more. Be it power, looks, rims, tires, whatever. It all adds up to your funds slipping away.

Get the car running in tip top shape on the other hand is something that must be done so that you can "enjoy the ride". Reqular maintenance is the cost of using a fairly complicated peice of machinery every single day.

Adding gobs of power with F.I. will only cause the motor premature wear and casue things to break sooner than later. Ask some of those that are running F.I. and see what kind of problems that they have had. Even trying to get the car tuned can be a real P.I.T.A. Several dyno runs later. Some minor adjustments, some major. Lots more power. Is the end result worth it? Some say yes and some say no.

At the end of the day, I don't really care what you do to your car, it is after all your money and your ride.
Old 02-26-2008, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by JSMax
First of all, you don't really invest anything other than time into a car. It dosen't matter the make, model, or whatever. $$$$ spent on aftermarket is the same as flushing money down the toilet. Once you go down that road, it's a rather slippery slope and you will want more. Be it power, looks, rims, tires, whatever. It all adds up to your funds slipping away.

Get the car running in tip top shape on the other hand is something that must be done so that you can "enjoy the ride". Reqular maintenance is the cost of using a fairly complicated peice of machinery every single day.

Adding gobs of power with F.I. will only cause the motor premature wear and casue things to break sooner than later. Ask some of those that are running F.I. and see what kind of problems that they have had. Even trying to get the car tuned can be a real P.I.T.A. Several dyno runs later. Some minor adjustments, some major. Lots more power. Is the end result worth it? Some say yes and some say no.

At the end of the day, I don't really care what you do to your car, it is after all your money and your ride.
+1 Right on!
If you go FI you're in for some serious cash, not just because of the cost of the setup and future maintenance, but also because once the power bug bites, you'll never stop modding. Ive seen it happen so many times. My buddy bought an STi last year after having a turbo Jetta VR6 and vouched to leave it stock because of all the problems he ran into running a modified car. A week later I was helping him install a downpipe. Two months after that a bigger turbo. Meth went in a few months ago. Now he is running ~400awhp. It never stops! If I was you I would stay away from FI - Maxima isnt the type of car you turbo IMO, and yours isnt even running 100% right.
Old 02-26-2008, 11:19 AM

yeah i would concentrate on getting your car in good running condition. then if you want a little oomf then add on some basic bolt ons(y-pipe(i still havent gotten one) intake catback) and if that doesnt fix your need then 00vi and ecu to lift the rev limiter
Old 02-26-2008, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by JSMax

The best advice i have ever seen anyone give to someone else.
Old 02-26-2008, 01:32 PM
Kof

hey do what make you happy but in the end make sure you car is reliable. Thats worth more than mods any day.
Old 02-27-2008, 04:00 AM
Sold

Originally Posted by VQrebuild96
The best advice i have ever seen anyone give to someone else.
thanks.
Old 02-27-2008, 07:33 PM

Hey
My advice: do not put any turbos (your car prolly isn't in such a great condition to put a turbo in it). Just fix all the mechanical problems so that the car is in a decent condition and enjoy. As for mods hmmmmm.... I don't think so. Your car is 13 yrs old and investing too much money in such a car isn't such a good idea. No matter what you do to the car it'll still be old. I'm telling you that because when I bought my 97 I also thought about modding it and stuff. But then I said f***k it, just make it run decently and that's all. I thought its better to save some money and after some time maybe buy a g35 instead of putting loads of money into a 10 year old car. Our cars are just getting older and older and modding them like a **** isn't just worth it. You would also be surprised how much money modding would suck out of your pocket (just ask some orgers).

Last edited by Zygi; 02-27-2008 at 07:38 PM.
Old 02-27-2008, 07:40 PM

totally agree with rockart
Old 02-27-2008, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by Kof
hey do what make you happy but in the end make sure you car is reliable. Thats worth more than mods any day.

i agree make sure the car will be reliable for the next couple years.
Old 02-28-2008, 04:08 PM
Turbo 4th Gen

2 maf sensors? did the first one break ?
no i bought a used one and the one i bought was bad then i bought another used one which was good