4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Idler Pulley - where to get one???

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 07:02 PM
Whatchyou say?

Idler Pulley - where to get one???

This is seaming to be more difficult than it need be, but for the life of me, I am having trouble finding an idler pulley online. AutoZone is outta stock, vendor is out, other places can "special order" (which is the exact same thing I am trying to do myself) and I can't find one. Please help ...

Also, I had a heck of a time getting the nut loose, was a "shredding" experience since I now need a new one. What is it, besides old age, that makes a nut put on at the factory (in most cases) need to be replaced after removing it one time? Or, is it just me? lol

Thanks! Cheers Mates!
Old 03-07-2008, 07:12 PM

Man I went through that whole ordeal about a month ago. That freakin' nut was a pita (yeah I know what I said ) you're not alone. http://www.nissanparts.org/oem_parts.html That's where I got mine from.
Old 03-07-2008, 07:14 PM
Da'Burgh, Go Stillers!

Do you mean the Tensioner pulley for the A/c belt?
Old 03-07-2008, 08:27 PM
Horizontally opposed.

http://www.courtesyparts.com/Merchan...de=11925-ACPUL

that?
Old 03-07-2008, 08:56 PM
Whatchyou say?

I thought it'd be a little cheaper ... my word! Yea ... that is it. Thanks! Guess I need to learn how to search Goo a bit better. It's been a LONG day! Glad it's almost over.
Old 03-07-2008, 10:16 PM
Horizontally opposed.

Haha, I bet ur searching skills are fine...I only found it because I've seen it there many times in the past. I love courtesy parts!

Good luck with the pulley!
Old 03-08-2008, 10:30 PM

Got mine for 60 at the dealer. Changed it in 15 mins in the rain.
Old 03-08-2008, 10:45 PM

I took the whole damn thing apart and lost a bearing a few weeks ago when I changed the belt

Found it and used all the same parts... no problems so far..
Old 03-10-2008, 01:50 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

My pulley squealed a lot, but I didn't have time to change it. Went quite a while (about a month) before doing it. It shredded my belt, then the pulley fell out as I was driving. Luckily I had a new one w/me and changed it in 30min in a parkinglot.

Dr J
Old 03-10-2008, 02:18 PM

Heh, i tightened mine too much when i put it on and smoked a brand new belt. Twas funny watching the black smoke with my oh **** face.

Luckily i had a spare belt
Old 03-10-2008, 02:47 PM
Whatchyou say?

^^^ LOL tard!

I ordered one though Courtesy Nissan .... thanks for the link!
Old 03-11-2008, 06:41 AM
Horizontally opposed.

Originally Posted by JtzMax
^^^ LOL tard!
rofl! didn't expect that...

I ordered one though Courtesy Nissan .... thanks for the link!
no problem. how much did you pay with shipping?
Old 03-11-2008, 12:56 PM
Licensed to Spell

This is seaming to be more difficult than it need be, but for the life of me, I am having trouble finding an idler pulley online. AutoZone is outta stock, vendor is out, other places can "special order" (which is the exact same thing I am trying to do myself) and I can't find one. Please help ...

Also, I had a heck of a time getting the nut loose, was a "shredding" experience since I now need a new one. What is it, besides old age, that makes a nut put on at the factory (in most cases) need to be replaced after removing it one time? Or, is it just me? lol

Thanks! Cheers Mates!

So if a shop can special order it for you, what's the problem?

I don't think you'll find an aftermarket one anyway. Even if you could, I would only buy genuine Nissan.

You can contact any of the V2 supercharged guys as they may be willing to sell theirs (you can't have mine - I save everything. )

Also, you can always get stuff like that from fanaticrock.

When we were installing VIPMaxima's V1 SC, we had to buy one and my local Nissan dealer actually had it in stock. You didn't mention if you tried the dealer or not. ?
Old 03-11-2008, 03:44 PM
Whatchyou say?

Well ... I have sworn off my local dealer if at all possible! Been shafted a time or three by them and I guess I'll live without the part till it comes in the mail as opposed to buying it from the stealership here. (end rant)

The part was (with shipping / 2nd day air) $61 and change. Not bad, considering that I couldn't find if for less than $65 anyway. I am still driving my car ... but I don't use the radio or any electrical if I can avoid it. Plus ... I have a trickle charger and it get's slapped on when I get home from work everyday. Part should be in tomorrow anyhow ... so I'll put it on and then be good.

Water pump went well with the exception of the tensioner .... so I really can't complain too bad.
Old 03-11-2008, 05:52 PM
Licensed to Spell

Well ... I have sworn off my local dealer if at all possible! Been shafted a time or three by them and I guess I'll live without the part till it comes in the mail as opposed to buying it from the stealership here. (end rant)

The part was (with shipping / 2nd day air) $61 and change. Not bad, considering that I couldn't find if for less than $65 anyway. I am still driving my car ... but I don't use the radio or any electrical if I can avoid it. Plus ... I have a trickle charger and it get's slapped on when I get home from work everyday. Part should be in tomorrow anyhow ... so I'll put it on and then be good.

Water pump went well with the exception of the tensioner .... so I really can't complain too bad.

So you were able to find one?

I think the dealer would have been quicker/easier/cheaper.
Old 03-11-2008, 07:06 PM

I just snapped my tensioner bolt changing my alternator. Luckily my local dealer had them in stock and was able to just sell me the nut and bolt. $30. Not too bad at all.

I think they just seize up when they get rust and oxidation on them just like any other bolt. Being not too thick, they tend to snap easily.

Last edited by jstew; 03-11-2008 at 07:09 PM.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:32 PM
Licensed to Spell

Originally Posted by jstew
I just snapped my tensioner bolt changing my alternator. Luckily my local dealer had them in stock and was able to just sell me the nut and bolt. $30. Not too bad at all.

I think they just seize up when they get rust and oxidation on them just like any other bolt. Being not too thick, they tend to snap easily.
I have another theory........ that people too often turn the adjuster rod (from above) while the aduster pulley nut is still tightened (below).

*Snap*
Old 03-12-2008, 05:30 AM
Whatchyou say?

^^ You have a very valid point here Ptatohed ....

Mine just stripped on me, not much I could do. I did order one and it should be here today. I might miss the extra 10 or so HP I have been picking up since not running the AC or Alt ... but I'd like my battery to charge more so than I need the extra 10 HP.

Putting the new tensioner on shouldn't take even 10 minutes. 3 - 12mm bolts and set the adjuster. I enjoy working on my car but there are some jobs I'd rather not have to do. Still need to R+R my passanger side axle. After my tranny rebuild, I think it put more torque on the CVs and I have the new one from Raxles sitting in my garage ready to go. Ahhhh .... never does quite end. lol
Old 03-12-2008, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by ptatohed
I have another theory........ that people too often turn the adjuster rod (from above) while the aduster pulley nut is still tightened (below).

*Snap*
Yeah, that's usually the case but on mine I double checked the pulley and it moved freely by hand before I started turning it. Oh well, I have the new one on now and it was an easy fix so I'm happy.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:45 PM
Horizontally opposed.

this is sorta OT....but sorta related. I have some noise coming from the belt area. not a screech or a squeak, just two things rubbing together, like a crappy bearing or something.... hard to describe.

anyway, think there's a chance it's the idler pulley? or am I gonna have to get a new bearing pressed into the a/c compressor clutch?

I guess I should take the belt off and spin each of them by hand to see which makes noise, eh?
Old 03-13-2008, 08:08 AM
Whatchyou say?

use a screwdriver and hold it to the altenator .... feel and listen (put your ear next on the end of the screw driver .... do that to the AC as well ... and the Idler, it's bound to be one of them
Old 03-13-2008, 08:34 AM
Horizontally opposed.

use a screwdriver and hold it to the altenator .... feel and listen (put your ear next on the end of the screw driver .... do that to the AC as well ... and the Idler, it's bound to be one of them
Ooh, good idea. I'm pretty sure its not the alt, its brand new, but I'll give that a try. Thanks!