4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

anyone notice new shocks from koni?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 03:58 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

anyone notice new shocks from koni?

i was under the impression that the front and rear suspention from koni were both cartridges.

mabe i was just smoking something, but i was trying to do some searches and didnt come up with anything on the subject.

Koni Sport - Rear Shock Absorber
http://www.importrp.com/product.php?...4&cat=0&page=1

have these always been direct replacements?

my other question is that ... has anyone missmatched front and rears. i really want to purchase the rear direct replacement koni's, but i dont want to do the koni front trick because i have tokico blues, they are not the stock shocks that came with the car, and i dont have a garage to do the work to do the trick otherwise (putting the cartridge in the stock shock).

so, my question is has anyone had koni rears and somethign else in the fronts, like illuminas, kgb's or anything else for that matter?

what else will i need to buy when i do this replacement? i need everything and part numbers (say i want to buy the illuminas for the front).
Old 03-08-2008, 07:30 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Koni rears are direct bolt on replacements with an adjustable spring perch. (2 positions)
The fronts are cartridge replacements that are designed to go into the OEM strut, not an aftermarket strut. They will not go into Tokico Blues, you will need to find a set of used OE units.

If you go with Illuminas up front you might as well go for all 4, they are great adjustable dampers. You can adjust the rear Illuminas easily, the Koin rears have to be completely dissassembled to be adjusted. A great shock, but it has it's drawbacks. Illumias are direct bolt on replacement units that are very easy to adjust. They ride fantastic, adjust very easily and have a lifetime warranty.

If your up for the project, and have sport lowering springs, Konis might give you the ride control and handling your after. If your simply looking for ride control, adjustablilty and easy replacement Illuminas are an excellent choice.
Old 03-09-2008, 03:09 PM

thank you very much for that break down.

when i buy the illuminas what will i need to purchase with them? i hear everyone talking about bump stops and various other parts. i dont know what the illuminas come with and what they dont come with.
Old 03-09-2008, 03:42 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Tokico's come with new bushings for the rear shock mounts. You really should inspect your suspension and see what is deteriorated and needs to be replaced. Dust covers, rubber components and front strut bearings are all common replacement parts that should be considered when rebuilding your suspension.
Old 03-09-2008, 08:51 PM

ok, i need all that then. anyone have part numbers. my whole suspention is shot. im going to get some parts from world suspention, but that doesnt include everything.
Old 03-10-2008, 07:05 AM
'Trynna' is not a word

Originally Posted by mindlessoath
ok, i need all that then. anyone have part numbers. my whole suspention is shot. im going to get some parts from world suspention, but that doesnt include everything.
check out www.courtesyparts.com They have a whole visual breakdown that you can look at to see all the boots, bushings, etc. Once you know what you want, call DaveB for the best prices, or check out www.rockauto.com for some good deals as well.