4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Driver side Brake Problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2008 | 11:22 AM

Driver side Brake Problem

Wassup fellas, YEsterday I had all 4 rotors and brake pads change and everything went smooth. When i started to driver i started to see smoke flying right my left front driver side wheel, My rim was so damn hot. So, i had my boys take everyhting off and check back and wen they checked it, everything is fine when we put it in neutral and spin the rotor. but once we put on the wheel and and lock it back up the wheel wont move. It locks up. We change front calipers and still the same problem.tomrrow Im going to get a diagnostic check on my brake system. But feedback from u guys would help to. this car is makin me mad right now.
Old 03-16-2008 | 11:50 AM

PERHAPS THE ROTOR DOES NOT FIT PROPERLY?
Old 03-16-2008 | 12:03 PM

you think?, i got Brembo blanks from tirerack all 4 from there and the passenger front one fits perfectly.
Old 03-16-2008 | 12:27 PM

switch the drivers and the passengers if you think the rotor is the wrong size.

Are you sure the caliper itself isnt bad? compresses but wont release.

have you jacked hte car up with the tire on it and spun it? pressed on the brake, release the brake and spun it again? brand new pads and rotors will smoke if you didnt clean them off and drive it hard. a little more info would help to narrow the problem.
Old 03-16-2008 | 01:34 PM

YEh im sure the caliper isnt bad bc My friend had a extra one and he put that on and the same problem.We jacked back up the car and and took off the wheel and we put it in neutral, It had play it in but it suppose to be more. BUt when we put back on the tire it was locked up couldnt turn it at all. All the other sides are fine and dont smoke or heat up at all. Right what we had to do was just put back on the old driver side rotor, so i could get back home. And I got home fine, i didnt see any smoke or anything and the drive felt better but still not sure. Just to let u no, the new rotor, from driving it already has them burned marks on it, so im guessing it not suppose ot be like that.
Originally Posted by 2da mizzax
switch the drivers and the passengers if you think the rotor is the wrong size.

Are you sure the caliper itself isnt bad? compresses but wont release.

have you jacked hte car up with the tire on it and spun it? pressed on the brake, release the brake and spun it again? brand new pads and rotors will smoke if you didnt clean them off and drive it hard. a little more info would help to narrow the problem.
Old 03-16-2008 | 01:43 PM

Brembos are used on performance cars (like NC stock cars). Why would you need them on a Maxima?

Maybe going back to Nissan parts would be the thing to do.
Old 03-16-2008 | 01:43 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Check the caliper slider pins. Pull them out and clean them throughly. Make sure they slide completley in and out. If there is some gunk keeping them from sliding in, your caliper will not sit evenly on the rotor. This will cause excessive drag, heat and as you see, smoke....
Old 03-16-2008 | 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by nafddur
Brembos are used on performance cars (like NC stock cars). Why would you need them on a Maxima?

I thought Brembo blanks were great on the maxima instead of getting them cheap autozone rotors? As for the sliding pins I will try that.
Old 03-16-2008 | 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by nafddur

Brembos are factory replacements. Sounds like a bad caliper. make sure your axle is in the hub properly (if you took it out for some reason). The only other thing could be a warped rotor, but you would know that before you put the tire on. When you jack it up and take the wheel off it turns freely? but all of a sudden stops when you put the wheel on? have you turned it with the wheel off, then stepped on the brake and then tried to turn it again after releasing the brake? all with the wheel off?
Old 03-16-2008 | 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by 2da mizzax
When you jack it up and take the wheel off it turns freely? but all of a sudden stops when you put the wheel on? have you turned it with the wheel off, then stepped on the brake and then tried to turn it again after releasing the brake? all with the wheel off?
Yes I changed the caliper with another one and the same problem. Yes wen I jacked the wheel and checked everything. It seems fine, I even had the piston pushed back in more. When I put everything back the rotor spins but once I bolt back on the wheel, it locks. One of my friends thinks its the master cylinder. So im probably gonna get a diagnostic check on it.
Old 03-16-2008 | 03:53 PM

I got 4 brembo blanks from tirerack in sep'07 and Raybestos Quietstop pads, got them installed. I don't know if it's the problem with brembos but I just got brakes checked yesterday coz the brakes are grinding/warping; it feels scary while decelerating on highways from 60s to 10s or 20s on I95, i feel the vibrations. The mechanic who took the measurements said that the front rotors are below the state specs (some 0.73 inches or some number) ... I was kinda 'how the hell do the new brembo rotors lost so much life in 6 months ! The guy says the rotors cannot be resurfaced !

How long do the Brembo rotors normally last ? Are quietstops a bad choice ? I read a lot about them being quiet and good bite and less dust ...

Do the rotors have any warranty from Tirerack ? Anyone has experience with Tirerack on warranty ?

appreciate any help with suggestion ... i want a safer ride ... shud i get new rotors and pads now ? again ? in less than 6 months ??
Old 03-16-2008 | 03:56 PM

I hope not either, does anyone kno places dat can do brake diagnostics well
Old 03-16-2008 | 09:02 PM

any one else have any suggestions as it could be a master cylinder problem.
Old 03-17-2008 | 12:08 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Make sure you did not kink the rubber brake line hose.
Old 03-17-2008 | 02:00 PM
"I'm just sayin'..."

Originally Posted by maxx0831
...I changed the caliper with another one and the same problem. ...I jacked the wheel and checked everything... seems fine... When I put everything back the rotor spins but once I bolt back on the wheel, it locks. One of my friends thinks its the master cylinder.
Mabye a 'duh' suggestion, but check to make sure that the caliper bracket is bolted on correctly. I really have a hard time believing that your master cylinder is at fault. I would lean towards some mechanical hinderance more than a hydraulic problem. My $.02
Old 03-17-2008 | 02:36 PM

lol Thanks everyone, I got my brake system diagnose today and wow, my luck my caliper braket was bent and the slidign pins were frozen. Can u believe that 2 calipers i tried and both were frozen. When I seen it, the guy took out the bottom sliding pin which was really hard to come out but the top pin would budge he even broke the top part of the pin. So i had to buy a new caliper with the bracket. Thanks alot for everyones help
Old 03-17-2008 | 04:01 PM

Just remember that everytime you change your pads you should remove, clean and regrease your guide pins. a 99 cent package can save you a lot of headache and money.
Old 03-17-2008 | 06:29 PM

^^ oh hell yeah, Im not forgetting that ever again
Old 03-17-2008 | 11:42 PM

MOds can u lock this please