4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

for people who know about 5.0's

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2001, 12:14 PM

for people who know about 5.0's

Well let me start out by saying i think 94-97 i believe it was mustang 5.0 with like 225 hp or 215 is a garbage for a mustang. It was the slowest one every i believe just barealy making it under 7 secs 0-60 in car and driver ratings. Get this even my old saturn from 20-55 could keep right door to door with a stock one of these things lol, my saturn was modded though, but anyways i was just wondering how would a max do against one of these from a start? I figure we should smoke them but maybe i am wrong? who has raced one
Old 10-30-2001, 12:22 PM
dot dot dot ...

Up to 95 Stang GT's had the 5.0L, I think then after that they got fitted with the 4.6L. Still slow. An auto max doesn't stand too much of a chance with a 5spd stock 92-98 stang. But a modded auto will beat it barely in the 1/4, and on the highway will wreak havoc with a stang, they have no top end. A 5spd max and a 5spd Stang, max should prevail. A stock auto max will beat an auto Stang GT. I think they tested in the 8.1-3sec 0-60mph range. Auto max's have a pretty good 2nd gear.
Old 10-30-2001, 03:11 PM

Originally posted by NmexMAX
Up to 95 Stang GT's had the 5.0L, I think then after that they got fitted with the 4.6L. Still slow. An auto max doesn't stand too much of a chance with a 5spd stock 92-98 stang. But a modded auto will beat it barely in the 1/4, and on the highway will wreak havoc with a stang, they have no top end. A 5spd max and a 5spd Stang, max should prevail. A stock auto max will beat an auto Stang GT. I think they tested in the 8.1-3sec 0-60mph range. Auto max's have a pretty good 2nd gear.
i agree stangs have no top end.
my 5spd. max has beat semi-stock 5.0's on the 1/4 mile w/out nos (avg. e/t 14.7)
smoked a few cobra's w/nos
on the highway after 120 mph, stangs just can't keep up
Old 10-30-2001, 04:32 PM

My buddy has a 95 mustang 5.0 5 speed and i have driven it many a times. The car would smoke most maxs through 2nd gear but after that it doesnt have much to offer. His car is stock except a 3.73 gear, he wants to race my bros 2k SE 5spd. I raced him one time before my y-pipe from a 70 mph roll and we were dead even. I want to race him from a dead stop before he puts a 393 in it and has over 500 hp.
Old 10-30-2001, 05:00 PM

Originally posted by CHI99Limited
My buddy has a 95 mustang 5.0 5 speed and i have driven it many a times. The car would smoke most maxs through 2nd gear but after that it doesnt have much to offer. His car is stock except a 3.73 gear, he wants to race my bros 2k SE 5spd. I raced him one time before my y-pipe from a 70 mph roll and we were dead even. I want to race him from a dead stop before he puts a 393 in it and has over 500 hp.

See, but thats nto stock see the difference? Not to metion in the coners those things hadle like pigs
Old 10-30-2001, 06:40 PM

Originally posted by NmexMAX
UA 5spd max and a 5spd Stang, max should prevail.
My 92 Mustang 5sp, completely stock: 0-60 6.2sec, 1/4mi 14.6sec@99mph. You still think the max should prevail?
Old 10-30-2001, 07:31 PM

Your best chances at racing a V8 mustang are the 96GT's with automatic transmissions. This was the first year of the 4.6, and they were DOGS. The automatic transmission models are also MUCH slower than the 5-speeds. Convertibles are really heavy, so a 96 automatic convertible would be the easiest "kill".

The GT kept getting incremental HP increases after 96, and the regular 4.6 is up to around 260HP now. The Cobra is 320.

The 79-93 mustangs are a bit lighter than the newer ones, and most are modified. Racing one of these is like "eating a box of chocolates" ...you don't know what you're gonna' get.

Good Luck!
Old 10-30-2001, 07:50 PM

yeah thats what i thought, i drive a 95 5 speed se, and i have rode in this stang many a time and it never impressed me. Its a 5 speed i wanna say 95 or 96 5.0, and i knew if my old saturn could keep up with him for a bit my max should smoke the hell outta of him, i'll race him and let you guys know
Old 10-30-2001, 08:44 PM

Originally posted by Maximus97SE

My 92 Mustang 5sp, completely stock: 0-60 6.2sec, 1/4mi 14.6sec@99mph. You still think the max should prevail?
i love messing with the old 5.0s! muhahaha especially the ones w/ loud exhausts and toughguy drivers. here i am with a four door grocery getter unleashing a good doudble cluthing beating on them! they see i i launch gingerly, then they open their burbling throttles a little and so do i. the guy seems to want to shut me down, but for some reason he can't. then all of the sudden he hears my intake howl and i'm actually pulling ahead of his heavy breathing V8..MUHAHAHA..sorry i got a little excited there.
Old 10-30-2001, 09:41 PM

Don't mess with 5.0's too much. I have owned 4 before the Maxima, and as a matter of fact I am going back to one. The 79-93 "Fox" bodies are easy to modify. Alot won't be outhandled as well.

My old 1992 Mustang LX Coupe with bolt ons ran a 13.7 at 100 on slicks. On Drag Radials it went 13.9 at 101. Don't underestimate top end either. I agree this is a Max forum, but I admit I am biased. With less than $500 I was in the 13's. Thats hard to compete with for the Maxima. My auto runs 15.4's at 91, and I admit, it's got a top end, not like the Mustang, but with a little bit of cash (1/4 what Maxima mods are), the Mustangs would be hard to compete with. Even in the corners.

79-85 came with Carbed 5.0's
96-93 came with FI 5.0's with 88+ having a MAS
94-95 were the SN95 Body Style with the 5.0's but were a lot heavier, hence the slower times.

All in all, not all 5.0 Stangs are Stock. A good majority aren't, and the ones that are lightly modified run mid to low 14's. A Max's only good chance with a Stang, would be an Automatic 5.0, or the 4.6. (4.6's being the 96,97,98 Stangs)
Old 10-30-2001, 09:48 PM

N2O mike, You're my new buddy. Seems as if alot of Mustang Owners are buying Maxima's for some reason. 4 of my buddies in Austin did that recently. It wasn't planned either.
Old 10-31-2001, 11:06 AM

Originally posted by Maximus98
Don't mess with 5.0's too much. I have owned 4 before the Maxima, and as a matter of fact I am going back to one. The 79-93 "Fox" bodies are easy to modify. Alot won't be outhandled as well.

My old 1992 Mustang LX Coupe with bolt ons ran a 13.7 at 100 on slicks. On Drag Radials it went 13.9 at 101. Don't underestimate top end either. I agree this is a Max forum, but I admit I am biased. With less than $500 I was in the 13's. Thats hard to compete with for the Maxima. My auto runs 15.4's at 91, and I admit, it's got a top end, not like the Mustang, but with a little bit of cash (1/4 what Maxima mods are), the Mustangs would be hard to compete with. Even in the corners.

79-85 came with Carbed 5.0's
96-93 came with FI 5.0's with 88+ having a MAS
94-95 were the SN95 Body Style with the 5.0's but were a lot heavier, hence the slower times.

All in all, not all 5.0 Stangs are Stock. A good majority aren't, and the ones that are lightly modified run mid to low 14's. A Max's only good chance with a Stang, would be an Automatic 5.0, or the 4.6. (4.6's being the 96,97,98 Stangs)
there are too many 5.0's and 4.6's at the track that run 15's and slower, i'm baffled. then they ask me what i ran and they try to keep their dignity. just my observation. i'm not dissing 302s. in fact, i'd like a nicely prepared one inside the body of a miata ala monster miata.
Old 10-31-2001, 02:52 PM

Thanks Maximus98,

Many of the older mustangs are getting worn out. Many of them are driven by people who can't drive (as with all cars), and many are modified extensively and run like a dog in heat!

In other words, you find all types in all places.

As far as building a "hobby" car, the 79-93's are TOUGH to beat. You can buy anything under the sun for one, and they aren't that expensive. They are also rear wheel drive... which makes traction and gearing MUCH easier to optimize. Did I mention the cars themselves were cheap too? A carbureted 80's model can be had for next to nothing. Add to this a 351W stroked to 408ci (6.7Liters), and you've got a handful!

When buying parts for a mustang, an "intake" means the intake manifold... not just some plastic piping with a filter on the end of it. Name any part on a mustang, and there is a high performance replacement for it.

I'm not downing the maxima. I have one and LOVE it. It's a great car that will probably last over 200k miles with few repairs along the way. It has a nice balance of power, handling, economy, and reliability. It excells in it's own domain.

But, if a person was building a hotrod, and wanted the maximum performance for the dollar, it would be tough to beat a mustang.

As far as "Maxima" performance, it does GREAT for only 3.0 liters. I think the biggest "cork" with the Maxima's engine is the intake manifold. The heads will flow well enough to turn some serious rpm, but the long runner intake is tuned for midrange and just wheezes out. An aftermarket intake manifold with larger, shorter runners (along with a larger throttle body) would allow the maxima to rev to it's potential. THIS is why you can open everything else up, but the engine just doesn't want to rev all -that- much further than stock. A set of larger cams would be nice as well. The engine could support 8k rpm with the right parts.

A person could put a Maxima in the 12's with a larger throttle body, intake manifold, cams, headers and big exhaust.... it would just cost a FORTUNE, and the fight for front wheel traction is never going to go away... let alone the untested clutch, transaxle, and axle strength. (at those power levels)

If you want to spend tons of money an be a pioneer, go ahead and put a Maxima in the 12's with no blower or bottle. You'll definitely have my respect! ...along with the respect of the rest of the maxima following. It's just a LOT easier with other cars.

People used to make fun of me for racing my 302ci 66, when there were 350 and 400ci Chevies out there that were easier to modify... (this was before the onslaught of 5.0 aftermarket parts) Ford's used to be the stepchild, everyone ran a Chevy... The 5.0 mustang has done a lot to change that.

It's good to see the spirit of hot-rodding alive and well... regardless of the vehicle.

Good Luck, and Have Fun!
Old 10-31-2001, 07:22 PM

Originally posted by n2oMike
Thanks Maximus98,

Many of the older mustangs are getting worn out. Many of them are driven by people who can't drive (as with all cars), and many are modified extensively and run like a dog in heat!

In other words, you find all types in all places.

As far as building a "hobby" car, the 79-93's are TOUGH to beat. You can buy anything under the sun for one, and they aren't that expensive. They are also rear wheel drive... which makes traction and gearing MUCH easier to optimize. Did I mention the cars themselves were cheap too? A carbureted 80's model can be had for next to nothing. Add to this a 351W stroked to 408ci (6.7Liters), and you've got a handful!

When buying parts for a mustang, an "intake" means the intake manifold... not just some plastic piping with a filter on the end of it. Name any part on a mustang, and there is a high performance replacement for it.

I'm not downing the maxima. I have one and LOVE it. It's a great car that will probably last over 200k miles with few repairs along the way. It has a nice balance of power, handling, economy, and reliability. It excells in it's own domain.

But, if a person was building a hotrod, and wanted the maximum performance for the dollar, it would be tough to beat a mustang.

As far as "Maxima" performance, it does GREAT for only 3.0 liters. I think the biggest "cork" with the Maxima's engine is the intake manifold. The heads will flow well enough to turn some serious rpm, but the long runner intake is tuned for midrange and just wheezes out. An aftermarket intake manifold with larger, shorter runners (along with a larger throttle body) would allow the maxima to rev to it's potential. THIS is why you can open everything else up, but the engine just doesn't want to rev all -that- much further than stock. A set of larger cams would be nice as well. The engine could support 8k rpm with the right parts.

A person could put a Maxima in the 12's with a larger throttle body, intake manifold, cams, headers and big exhaust.... it would just cost a FORTUNE, and the fight for front wheel traction is never going to go away... let alone the untested clutch, transaxle, and axle strength. (at those power levels)

If you want to spend tons of money an be a pioneer, go ahead and put a Maxima in the 12's with no blower or bottle. You'll definitely have my respect! ...along with the respect of the rest of the maxima following. It's just a LOT easier with other cars.

People used to make fun of me for racing my 302ci 66, when there were 350 and 400ci Chevies out there that were easier to modify... (this was before the onslaught of 5.0 aftermarket parts) Ford's used to be the stepchild, everyone ran a Chevy... The 5.0 mustang has done a lot to change that.

It's good to see the spirit of hot-rodding alive and well... regardless of the vehicle.

Good Luck, and Have Fun!
hondas, fords, toyotas are easier to modify. the maxima is probably the only nissan product that's difficult to make fast because of the lack of aftermarket. it's not a popular vehicle. but i like that because it surprises people sometimes.
Old 10-31-2001, 11:16 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

test drove a 98 mustang gt 5 spd on Sat.

I went to one of those used car tent sales where you get free stuff just for showing up . Anyway, while I was there I thought I would test drive a mustang that was on the lot. It was a 98 mustang gt 5 spd. with about 29k miles. On the test drive, the salesman encouraged me to really open it up. After I did, I was thinking "That's it?". I'm pretty sure that my max could've beat it in a race.
Old 10-31-2001, 11:53 PM

Originally posted by VQdriver
i love messing with the old 5.0s! muhahaha especially the ones w/ loud exhausts and toughguy drivers. here i am with a four door grocery getter unleashing a good doudble cluthing beating on them! they see i i launch gingerly, then they open their burbling throttles a little and so do i. the guy seems to want to shut me down, but for some reason he can't. then all of the sudden he hears my intake howl and i'm actually pulling ahead of his heavy breathing V8..MUHAHAHA..sorry i got a little excited there.
Your intake howl? So you are not running stock. C'mon, have some ***** and run stock and see if you can beat a 91-93 5 speed, no mods. Exactly what times do you get with your stock max? Just curious.