4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Weird Noise coming from Engine Bay

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2001, 10:39 PM

Weird Noise coming from Engine Bay

Just last night when a few of us Maxima owners met up, we noticed something about my car, that didn't seem obvious on theirs.

People that were there, (Austin Guys) xHypex, RedMax95, Me, and Peelboy.

When I turned the ignition on, I heard somewhat of a clattering noise, but it didn't seem to bother me. They proceeded to turn their igniton on, on their cars, and it didn't seem to make that noise at all. I am somewhat used to hearing maybe a fuel pump, or a fuel pressure regulator, but this was odd.

After visiting a friend, I had him turn the ignition off and on a couple of times so I could pin point the problem. It's a small cylinder shaped item around the throttle body area. Unfortunately, I did not have a manual to look up what the part was, so I decided to take a few shots of it with my digital camera.

If anyone would be so kind as to let me know what the hell this is, and what the clattering noise would be, I would appreciate it. It only happens when I turn the ignition on, but not crank it. The sound is more like a clatter/low tone rattle, for a period of maybe 2 seconds. Happens about the same length of time, as the fuel pump turns on.

(First one shows the general area, and the 2nd is the close up. Has the yellow letters that resemble "7CO3")
Here's the pic, the board wouldn't let me post it in the post, so here's the link:
Pic of the Area it's in
Pic of the close up...Let me know what this is
Old 10-30-2001, 10:50 PM

it might be a solenoid that's getting stuck in when you start the car?
Old 10-30-2001, 10:59 PM

I doubt it's a selenoid. I am assuming it could be the EGR Valve.

Anyone mechanically inclined wanna take a crack at it?
Old 10-31-2001, 08:01 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Looks like it could be part of the EGR circuit. But that circuit should only become active once the car in fully warmed up and only when crusing. EGR valves don't open at idle.
Old 10-31-2001, 11:23 AM

Well it does this when I first turn the ignition on, while starting the car. Someone has to know what that piece pictured is.
Old 10-31-2001, 11:29 AM

have you tried looking in a Chilton's or Haynes manual?
Old 10-31-2001, 11:42 AM

Looks to me like a fuel pressure regulator...just from the lines coming into it, but I could be totally wrong...just a guess.

Originally posted by Maximus98
Well it does this when I first turn the ignition on, while starting the car. Someone has to know what that piece pictured is.
Old 10-31-2001, 11:44 AM

You could also do what DBM told me to do a while ago, get a piece of rubber hose and put it in the area you think the noise is coming from, it will help to isolate it unless it is a very loud noise.

Originally posted by QikEnuf
Looks to me like a fuel pressure regulator...just from the lines coming into it, but I could be totally wrong...just a guess.

Old 11-01-2001, 05:13 PM

I have the same "problem"

I have had my max for nearly a year and it did that ever since.It only happens when you put your ignition in to position II(2nd position) the one before start, my belief is that it is something fuel related, alot of american cars do that too, so i would not worry about it.
Old 11-01-2001, 05:21 PM

Re: Weird Noise coming from Engine Bay

i don't have my service or haynes manual near me but when i get home i'll take a look. btw, the way you posted makes it easy for others to help you. using images can pinpoint the part without any misunderstanding.

Originally posted by Maximus98
Just last night when a few of us Maxima owners met up, we noticed something about my car, that didn't seem obvious on theirs.

People that were there, (Austin Guys) xHypex, RedMax95, Me, and Peelboy.

When I turned the ignition on, I heard somewhat of a clattering noise, but it didn't seem to bother me. They proceeded to turn their igniton on, on their cars, and it didn't seem to make that noise at all. I am somewhat used to hearing maybe a fuel pump, or a fuel pressure regulator, but this was odd.

After visiting a friend, I had him turn the ignition off and on a couple of times so I could pin point the problem. It's a small cylinder shaped item around the throttle body area. Unfortunately, I did not have a manual to look up what the part was, so I decided to take a few shots of it with my digital camera.

If anyone would be so kind as to let me know what the hell this is, and what the clattering noise would be, I would appreciate it. It only happens when I turn the ignition on, but not crank it. The sound is more like a clatter/low tone rattle, for a period of maybe 2 seconds. Happens about the same length of time, as the fuel pump turns on.

(First one shows the general area, and the 2nd is the close up. Has the yellow letters that resemble "7CO3")
Here's the pic, the board wouldn't let me post it in the post, so here's the link:
Pic of the Area it's in
Pic of the close up...Let me know what this is
Old 11-01-2001, 07:49 PM

It is the EGR valve. The tapping noise you hear may be the valve solenoid opening and closing the valve. If you have any of the repair manuals (Haynes, Chiltons, or the FSM) I suggest you run the diagnostic routine. I may post the instructions later on this thread if I can dig up the FSM from among my piles of papers.
Old 11-01-2001, 08:20 PM

Eric I sure do appreciate it. I am going to borrow a friends Haynes tomorrow. I can't find one at any autoparts here in North Austin.
Old 11-01-2001, 10:30 PM

hmm, are you talkign about the black cylinder there? i dont think thats the egr valve (the black cylinder). to my understanding, teh egr valve us underneath all this, its a metallic colored cylinder, much larger in size...like the size of a pudding cup or something. i could be wrong...
Old 11-02-2001, 01:06 PM

Re: Re: Weird Noise coming from Engine Bay

my 99 gxe doesn't have that piece in that location. i checked the haynes manual and cannot find anything, but it does look like the fuel pressure regulator, just in a different position.

Originally posted by max808
i don't have my service or haynes manual near me but when i get home i'll take a look. btw, the way you posted makes it easy for others to help you. using images can pinpoint the part without any misunderstanding.

Old 11-02-2001, 01:27 PM

If it is the fuel pressure regulator, those are some large lines running to and from it.

Can anyone clarify what it is? I try tracing the lines as far as I can go, but without removing anything, it's hard to.
Old 11-02-2001, 08:32 PM

Could this be it? Do you have a California emissions car?
Old 11-02-2001, 09:41 PM

If you compare the picture of his engine bay to the diagram you attached, it doesnt look quite like teh EVAP thingy is in the right place. In the engine bay, the "part in question" is located RIGHT next to the throttle cable bolts, whereas, the diagram shows a part further upstream of that. does anyone know what this "mystery part" is??
Old 11-03-2001, 01:07 AM

See, I have no idea what that could be. The hoses from the diagram look familiar, but the actual canister/container thingamabopper doesn't resemble what I see.

Odd, the lines/hoses look the same tho. The part I am talkin about is right by the throttle cable linkage. The car is going into the dealer on Monday for a tranny problem and a ticking noise from the engine. I think it's valve clatter. I will point it out to them, and see what they can do. I have 1800 miles left on my powertrain warranty, so I wanna get the transmission checked out.