4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Rubbing noise/Lighting problems...

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 04:32 PM

Rubbing noise/Lighting problems...

Ok I have a 97 GXE and it has 4 brand spankin new breaks on'em, and tires. But for some reason the drivers side tire(Actually sounds like the brake) makes this rubbing noise it almost sounds like metal rubbing together and sometimes when I stop the drivers side brake squeaks. I took it to my mechaninc, Tran and he said he thinks it's the brake pads in the front. (Sigh) So when I took it to my boi to change it we took the tire and brake off and the brake pads were fine it still had a whole lot of meat on it there was nothing wrong at all(and even he said it can't be the brakes, there brand new!). So I don't have no Idea what the problem could be I had to get new ball bearings on the driver side tire but it was making that noise before hand. any suggestions???

I'm almost absolutely sure it has something to do with the car beeing hit on that side a while back but Idk>>????

Now for the Lighting question....(Below)

And another problem I'm having is for some reason my headlights when I turn them on. they kind of flicker, not on and off but they flicker from dim to bright at a really fast pace and if i turn my dome lights on it does the same do u think it could be the Alternator?

Last edited by Thakidmeen; 04-29-2008 at 04:43 PM.
Old 04-29-2008, 04:40 PM

Could possibly be the sheild around the brake area rubbing on something.
Old 04-29-2008, 05:57 PM

^^. Also did u put those two pieces on that hold the pads "together"(2 on each side, only on fronts)? Looks kinda like a staple bent in a V. As for your lights, maybe your amp and subs are drainin it. Maybe try a voltage stabilizer.
Old 04-29-2008, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by vilmaxima
^^. Also did u put those two pieces on that hold the pads "together"(2 on each side, only on fronts)? Looks kinda like a staple bent in a V. As for your lights, maybe your amp and subs are drainin it. Maybe try a voltage stabilizer.
Yea I def think tha pieces are on...
Old 04-29-2008, 09:39 PM

Is it like a scraping noise that seems rotation dependent and more noticeable as you are stopping fairly hard down at like 15mph to zero?

If so, I have the exact same problem with both my Maxima and my Taurus and I can't figure it out at all. On the Taurus I did the brakes myself, pads are good, the shims are in place, that metal V clip is in place, pads and shims lubricated, everything is bolted down to factory specs, the heatshield is out of the way.

My Maxima hasn't been touched by me yet, but according to the previous owner it has had the brakes done professionally fairly recently.

I wish I could figure out this noise too.
Old 04-30-2008, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by modenaf1
Is it like a scraping noise that seems rotation dependent and more noticeable as you are stopping fairly hard down at like 15mph to zero?

If so, I have the exact same problem with both my Maxima and my Taurus and I can't figure it out at all. On the Taurus I did the brakes myself, pads are good, the shims are in place, that metal V clip is in place, pads and shims lubricated, everything is bolted down to factory specs, the heatshield is out of the way.

My Maxima hasn't been touched by me yet, but according to the previous owner it has had the brakes done professionally fairly recently.

I wish I could figure out this noise too.
Yea dude that's exactly what it sounds like usually u can hear the scraping noise but if I brake it kinda gets softer (But u still hear it) then if I was just rollin IDK what it is... it def sounds rotation depepndent
Old 04-30-2008, 10:57 AM

could be the alternator or a bad ground for your lights
Old 04-30-2008, 11:04 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Did you use brake shims when installing the pads? Sounds like the pad is dragging on the rotor's face. Who did the brake job? Were they OEM parts. When you say brand new brakes all around are you referring to just brake pads?...or new calipers, lines, rotors, pads, fluid? You need to be a little more descriptive if you want solid answers.
Old 04-30-2008, 02:02 PM

The thing is the brakes were put on right before I bought it, but the calipers and pads are def new, the rotors I don't think are, but there not too bad...