4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

good cheap upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
Any suggestions?
NGK's, keep tires 35 psi and no fat chicks.
Old 06-06-2008, 03:00 PM
darkman

Originally Posted by mtrai760
Good mods or Cheap mods. Pick one, you cannot have both.

You need to start searching, you are about 2 seconds from getting the boot...
ok well i have like 800 bucks what can i get that will do what i want and really improve my car for that money

Old 06-06-2008, 04:21 PM
oem ftw!

Originally Posted by darkman
ok well i have like 800 bucks what can i get that will do what i want and really improve my car for that money
A MEVI for 300-375, and a JWT ECU with extended rev limit. complete 00VI "kits" tend to be priced at at least $400, and there is a lot more work involved in that installation. People sometimes sell the JWT ecu's in the classifieds section of this site, but if you buy it directly from JWT (http://www.jimwolftechnology.com), it will cost about $595 and their turnaround time is pretty bad. You can also get a Technosquare ECU. These appear in the classifieds section quite often and they are cheaper.

JWT and Technosquare ECU's generally do the same thing, but JWT offers the option to extend your rev limit. Mine is at 7200. As far as I know, Technosquare doesn't offer the extended rev limit - whether or not they've changed that policy, i don't know. On this site, Technosquare ECU's generally sell for between $300 and $375. MEVI + Technosquare ECU, your car will have new life and the installation is not as in depth as the 00VI. Best of all, you will probably have a little money left over if your budget is $800. You should be able to install the MEVI in a day.

Last edited by CRiME; 06-06-2008 at 04:26 PM.
Old 06-06-2008, 04:28 PM
darkman

Originally Posted by CRiME
A MEVI for 300-375, and a JWT ECU with extended rev limit. complete 00VI "kits" tend to be priced at at least $400, and there is a lot more work involved in that installation. People sometimes sell the JWT ecu's in the classifieds section of this site, but if you buy it directly from JWT (http://www.jimwolftechnology.com), it will cost about $595 and their turnaround time is pretty bad. You can also get a Technosquare ECU. These appear in the classifieds section quite often and they are cheaper.

JWT and Technosquare ECU's generally do the same thing, but JWT offers the option to extend your rev limit. Mine is at 7200. As far as I know, Technosquare doesn't offer the extended rev limit - whether or not they've changed that policy, i don't know. On this site, Technosquare ECU's generally sell for between $300 and $375. MEVI + Technosquare ECU, your car will have new life and the installation is not as in depth as the 00VI. Best of all, you will probably have a little money left over if your budget is $800. You should be able to install the MEVI in a day.
sounds good well if i have any more ? about this ill just pm u crime u gave me good advice

Old 06-07-2008, 04:19 AM

you can sometimes find good deals on 00-01 dek engine for pretty cheap if you find the right place. i got mine for 250. you just have to be paitent and look around
Old 06-07-2008, 06:03 AM

i wish my 00vi cost $400, its up to around the $1.5k mark, stupid shipping and remoteness.

Don't do a 00vi or even a mevi, take your $800 to a performance shop and and ask them to make your car faster. your not resourceful enough to tackle even the mevi by yourself.

don't PM people for advise,
1) It's rude,
2) If someone is silly enough to help you and answers your question, there is no way for anyone else to learn anything from it. if the thread gets created about something that someone hasn't asked specifically before, then at least everyone who doesn't know has that information when they search.

i don't have any problem with someone asking me a question that i know is difficult to search from if you don't know specifically what to look for.. but for goodness sake there are stickies with answers to your question.

on a final note, if you really want to modify cars, you really need to understand how a car works otherwise your going to stuff something up. so hit up www.howstuffworks.com.
Old 06-07-2008, 07:30 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by mywhitewolf
i wish my 00vi cost $400, its up to around the $1.5k mark, stupid shipping and remoteness.

Don't do a 00vi or even a mevi, take your $800 to a performance shop and and ask them to make your car faster. your not resourceful enough to tackle even the mevi by yourself.

1) It's rude,
2) If someone is silly enough to help you and answers your question, there is no way for anyone else to learn anything from it. if the thread gets created about something that someone hasn't asked specifically before, then at least everyone who doesn't know has that information when they search.

i don't have any problem with someone asking me a question that i know is difficult to search from if you don't know specifically what to look for.. but for goodness sake there are stickies with answers to your question.

on a final note, if you really want to modify cars, you really need to understand how a car works otherwise your going to stuff something up. so hit up www.howstuffworks.com.
and you are... ?

1) find a performance shop that knows about mevi or 00vi swaps. the only way that will happen is if they have done it on an .org members car. even then they would be clueless to sourcing one (mevi).

2) it is not rude to pm somebody for advice. most members are happy to help. i prefer aim, quicker answers.

3) this is an awful thread and the information could have easily been found even without search (stickies).

my recommendation would be drop it on emanage. you might be able to tune out a couple ponies, plus it will make every upgrade from there on out that much more beneficial.
Old 06-07-2008, 10:00 AM

uhhhhh....
Old 06-07-2008, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by mywhitewolf

1) It's rude,

well than sir you got ripped off huge. dude i got my EU,00vi and wb for 1k. So whos not being resourceful?? even if you live out of the states 1500 is outragious.

also yeah he might be a newb and all but everyone has potential to become a good mechanic. sometimes it just take getting used to something to gain knowledge about something.

Also some people dont mind being pm'd about a good question that they have done before in the past. since ive done my swaps and what not i have had alot of pm's about them. and i have no problem answering them.

just my .02

Last edited by Product_Of_Korea; 06-07-2008 at 11:24 AM.
Old 06-07-2008, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by BLACKonBLACK98

my recommendation would be drop it on emanage. you might be able to tune out a couple ponies, plus it will make every upgrade from there on out that much more beneficial.
+1 some good advice! although i might be a little biased
Old 06-07-2008, 05:37 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by Armelius
NGK's, keep tires 35 psi and no fat chicks.
No, I meant any suggestions on cars that are better on gas and more reliable than Maixmas.
Old 06-07-2008, 06:22 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
No, I meant any suggestions on cars that are better on gas and more reliable than Maixmas.
Civics
Old 06-07-2008, 06:28 PM

sentra

sorry for being ot but......

i was looking at this one for a commuter
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/car/708568471.html

Last edited by Product_Of_Korea; 06-07-2008 at 06:31 PM.
Old 06-07-2008, 07:03 PM

EU,00vi and wb for 1k
yeah, and my eu, 00vi and wb cost about the same, plus about $450 in shipping.
Old 06-07-2008, 07:10 PM

^^ ok that makes a little more sense then. sorry about that
Old 06-07-2008, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by ruckus1027
you really wanna know? coz i dont think youre ready going from how the thread is goin...dude freakin ay...holy how slow can ppl be...if you can install or know about y pipes and exhaust you should be able to find what an 00vi is or mevi....i joined this community not too long ago, and within a couple days i knew what those were...do some search...not necessarily on the org but you can also google...btw if you didnt know those are zeros on 00vi....its not so much as ppl are mean or asses its just everyday ppl join the org and everyday those same ppl ask the same exact thing...(1) it gets really really really really really really really repetetive (get the idea?)..(2) its really easy to find a lot of the noob answer if you just work your fingers a little on the keyboard, if an 11yr old can find good **** on the web you can find the answers on this site easily...so for the record ppl are not mean they are just sick and tiered...im sure if you were someone who knows a lot about something and day in and day out the same question is being asked im sure you would be tiered of it too...come on man seriously...get some taco bell and think outside the box if you cant figure it out...tadaw biatch
That has got to be....hands down...the...most hilarious thing I have read on the .org.....
Old 06-07-2008, 09:38 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by modenaf1
That has got to be....hands down...the...most hilarious thing I have read on the .org.....
And yet, completely true.
Old 06-07-2008, 11:23 PM
darkman

ok well here is one for u have anyone ever heard of cattman performance for ecu's did anyone here get one and what is it like?

Old 06-08-2008, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by darkman
ok well here is one for u have anyone ever heard of cattman performance for ecu's did anyone here get one and what is it like?
The ECU's listed on Cattman's webiste are actually JWT ECU's, and from what I have heard everyone that has one loves it, the one and only main complaint was the customer service and the turnaround for the ECU.
Old 06-08-2008, 09:22 AM
Former Vendor

yeah, the cattman piece is a jwt ecu. but you have to ask yourself this: why would you want to spend the money for a 1 time reflash vs. having piggyback control of the ecu from here on out.
Old 06-08-2008, 10:06 AM

yeah, the cattman piece is a jwt ecu. but you have to ask yourself this: why would you want to spend the money for a 1 time reflash vs. having piggyback control of the ecu from here on out.
That is a very good question

plus you could almost get the eu for the same price

Last edited by Product_Of_Korea; 06-08-2008 at 12:12 PM.
Old 06-08-2008, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by locknuts
That is a very good question

plus you could almost get the eu for the same price
Can you extend the rev limiter on the eu like you can do with the ecu? I think thats the main reason why everyone gets them but if you can extend the rev limiter with the eu then that is everything you would possibly need.
Old 06-08-2008, 02:22 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by Blackmax1924
Can you extend the rev limiter on the eu like you can do with the ecu? I think thats the main reason why everyone gets them but if you can extend the rev limiter with the eu then that is everything you would possibly need.
Yes.
Old 06-08-2008, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by pmohr
Yes.
Wow I never really did the research on the eu mainly because I was just going for an easy plug and play type controller so I went with the VAFC-II. Recently I have been thinking about the extended rev limiter so I may switch out the VAFC-II for the eu. I dont know why anyone would ever go with an ecu instead of the eu as you can do pretty much everything with it from what I have read, the only reason really I see stopping some may be the wiring piece of the install.
Old 06-08-2008, 05:27 PM
No more Maximas...

Wow I never really did the research on the eu mainly because I was just going for an easy plug and play type controller so I went with the VAFC-II. Recently I have been thinking about the extended rev limiter so I may switch out the VAFC-II for the eu. I dont know why anyone would ever go with an ecu instead of the eu as you can do pretty much everything with it from what I have read, the only reason really I see stopping some may be the wiring piece of the install.
Mostly wiring, yes. That, and the flashed ECUs are more widely known, and trusted...for some reason.
Old 06-08-2008, 06:44 PM

and the ecu is basically your plug n play literally. EU is little more difficult than that. plus with a eu a wideband is a must and also a laptop is a must as well(not required but makes life easier). most people dont want to fork out that kind of cash. but obviously the benifits of the EU imo is a lot greater than a jwt. especially if you decide to go fi or do a engine build.

Last edited by Product_Of_Korea; 06-08-2008 at 06:51 PM.
Old 06-09-2008, 08:39 AM

If you decide to sell your VAFC-II let me know because I'll be looking to buy one soon.
Old 09-19-2008, 01:40 PM

hole...hole....hole.... WTF ITS WHOLE!!

Originally Posted by WhiteA32
hole...hole...hole.... WTF ITS WHOLE!
Old 09-19-2008, 03:29 PM

That's worth a bad a$$ed pat on the back.

Originally Posted by Snypa

Best photo evar.

I think that newbies home screen should look like htat until a certain time period.
^^^that is one of the best ideas I've heared in a long time here. It would also encourage contributions so they could change it
Old 06-21-2010, 10:13 AM
Banned

just go wit the mevi and a jwt ecu 3.5 cam it and call it a day
Old 06-21-2010, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Product_Of_Korea
sentra

sorry for being ot but......

i was looking at this one for a commuter
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/car/708568471.html

I have a b14 sentra too. 97 auto

Its reliable as it gets nothing has ever gone wrong with it

the gas mileage difference isnt that huge unless i speed. Thats one thing the sentra definitely has going for it, it cant speed.

I would say for a freeway drive the sentra gets around 5mpg better.

Youve got to realize something, the maxima ( or i30 in my case) doesnt actually weigh a LOT more. I dont know why either . Thats the coolest thing about this fourth gen maxima... its light.

my sentra is getting a bit more tired than my i30 too. But I drive them back to back and the gas mileage is never a huge difference. The epa numbers on the sentra are more inflated and it gets nowhere near 39, it gets low 30s on its best day.

The grass is always greener but Ive owned a loooot of economy cars, I used to deliver pizza back in the day.
civic, protege, sentra, metro..... yech! never going back.

economy car gas mileage is a trip, they figure it out from the emissions, then subtract the weight figure out the tire width etc. They dont even write in the gear ratios.

It just shows you it means nothing the margin of error is plus minus 10 mpg. somehow the corrola gets better mileage than the yaris? The hell it does the corrolla comes in a california version only so it skews the test.

nothing can magically change the 3.0 liter displacement vs the 1.6 liter displacement but i can tell you first hand that its not big enough to putt putt around for me anymore.

a sentra is super reliable though i will admit my sentra has never had a problem at all

theres definitely a point where a small engine is working too hard to get good gas mileage... like the volkswagon van example, those get below 20 mpg in reality. terrible gas mileage in reality comparable to a huge american truck

Last edited by stamar; 06-21-2010 at 11:51 AM.
Old 06-21-2010, 01:03 PM

who the **** just bumped this old thread...

oO wait it was a NOOB
Old 06-21-2010, 01:52 PM

sorry i added to it. didnt look at the dates. Just saw someone with a maxima that wishes it were a sentra lol.