4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Bose Problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 07:34 PM

Bose Problems

Hi Guys,

I have the Bose in my Max. For the last yr or so the sound cuts in and out randomly. Seems to be better if I just leave it on all the time. Any thoughts on what could be causing this problem? I don't want to go after-mkt and rebuild the whole system, so I was considering another Bose h/u. I know some of the Pathfinder Bose h/u's will work with some basic soldering mods. Any idea where I can get a listing of which ones will / will not work and how to modify the connectors? Any recommendations on which have worked for others?

Thanks!
Old 06-14-2008, 07:44 PM
No more Maximas...

Pathfinder, or 350z. I've got a Z33 6CD in mine, plugs right in.

By cutting out, is it a specific speaker, or all of the audio entirely?
Old 06-14-2008, 07:49 PM

Thanks for the reply! The sound cuts out from the entire unit. It is not speaker specific which makes me think it's a h/u problem.

I saw some Pathfinder h/u's on eBay. I'll check out the 350z.
Old 06-14-2008, 07:52 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by Red96MaxSE
Thanks for the reply! The sound cuts out from the entire unit. It is not speaker specific which makes me think it's a h/u problem.

I saw some Pathfinder h/u's on eBay. I'll check out the 350z.
Pull it out and make sure the connectors are plugged all the way in on the back of the unit. That could cause what you're looking at.

The Zs aren't a perfect fit for the 4th gen, they're rounded and require a bit of trimming to the radio bezel. I have just left the bezel off (though I haven't driven my car in ~6 months, so it doesn't really matter at this point).

It will screw right in to factory locations, but I'm not sure (without looking at it) that it would help to move it back a 1/2" in the bracket.
Old 06-14-2008, 08:27 PM

Mine did that,then the the display would cut off.I found alot of the Maxima's Bose headunit starts to cut out after awhile. I had a talk with a friend in an auto electronincs store,and he told me it has to do with a thing on the head unit board,I forgot the name of the part.Its fixable though,it might cost more to fix it,than to buy an new unit.
Old 06-14-2008, 09:24 PM

so if both my back ones stopd working i could be my connectors in the back of the radio? how do i take it out? cause if they were going bad itd do it one at a time right?
Old 06-14-2008, 09:27 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by arrocha87
so if both my back ones stopd working i could be my connectors in the back of the radio? how do i take it out? cause if they were going bad itd do it one at a time right?
Symptoms vary. Easiest and quickest is to check the connections at the back of the radio. Remove the clock/vent trim, remove the shifter trim and ashtray, undo the 4 10mm head bolts, remove stereo/climate control assy.
Old 06-14-2008, 09:36 PM

My Bose unit sound was cutting out, if I played with the volume control it would sometimes kick back in. I ended up taking out the HU and removing the faceplate, it kind of plugs in to the rest of the unit. The faceplate is kind of like the keyboard for the unit. I reheated all solder the connections on the back of the faceplate. That was one year ago have not had any problems since.

Last edited by Nopike; 06-15-2008 at 08:16 AM.
Old 06-14-2008, 09:39 PM

kool thanks pmhor. by the way i got my suspension done today. new shocks/struts, inner and outer tie rods, control arms w/ bushings and ball joints, and alignment. the only thing i didnt do is the sway bar end links. i also had to replace the harmonic balancer $199.76 and new goodyear belts. all i need is to to my valve covers and clean my IACV and my TB! YEY for me! lol

Last edited by arrocha87; 06-14-2008 at 11:14 PM.
Old 06-15-2008, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by pmohr
Pathfinder, or 350z. I've got a Z33 6CD in mine, plugs right in.

By cutting out, is it a specific speaker, or all of the audio entirely?

hey man, could you post a pic of that Z hu? i would like to see it and determine if its worth it. sounds like it may be

NM91
Old 06-15-2008, 07:04 PM

Since we are talking about the BOSE headunit, i was going to change my factory headunit for a 7" LCD touch screen (Pioneer). Is there anything i should know before i make the change
Old 09-20-2008, 01:27 PM

I got a similar problem that got worse

Hello all. Newbie here that heard about this forum from a friend.

I got a 98 Maxima with a Bose sound system that the front speakers would cut in and out randomly. It was weird because I could sometimes push on the radio itself to make the speakers come back on. So I figured it might be the wiring behind the radio or something like that.

I pulled out the head unit and discovered in the process that it has been removed before. (I bought it used just about a year ago.) Missing screws, stripped out holes, the connectors on the back of the radio were busted up a little bit. Well in playing with the wiring, I discovered that I could make the radio cut in and out by pushing and pulling on the connector. I thought I might actually need to touch up some solder joints on the connector in the radio.

I took the radio apart, touched up the solder joints, (Yes, for the most part, I know what I'm doing. I got an Electrical Engineering degree.) put the radio back together, and things got worse. I hook up the connectors in the car and the speakers make a loud popping sound about once a second. (like I said, for the most part, I know what I'm doing.)

I've been back through the radio several times looking for something shorted out and can't find anything. What I think is happening is something is shorting out the internal power supply making the radio constantly reset itself. As a result, the speakers pop constantly.

I did some quick searching and found similar problems with speakers cutting out, but nothing quite like this. I might not have done enough searching though.

Anybody out there got any kind of clue as to what in the radio might do this? Thanks in advance of any help you might be able to give.
Old 09-20-2008, 02:06 PM

Never mind. I figured it out.

Never mind. I figured out my problem. What makes the speakers pop like that is not having the antenna hooked up. I would not have guessed that. It probably has something to do with the power antenna signal. I just wasted about two hours dinking around with it.

Thanks anyways.