4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Comparison of Eibach and Tokico springs please

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 04:36 PM

Comparison of Eibach and Tokico springs please

Hello all, it is finally time to replace my blown struts. While I have some extra monay I decided to go with some Tokico Illuminas all around, but I haven't decided which springs to go with. I see lots of members with the Eibach Prokit springs, but I have also read good things about the Tokico springs that you can buy with the Illumina struts. I am asking for some input from anyone that has tried both suspensions, and whether or not the Eibach are worth the extra $125 over the Tokico springs (from the GD section). Sorry if there are tons of threads beating the springs topic to death, I have used those to narrow down to these two. Any insightful information would be greatly appreciated, and any flamers, well, flame on if it makes you feel better about yourself. Thanks!
Old 06-24-2008, 01:20 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

what kind of ride do you want? Eibachs are the stiffest available, the Tokicos are one of the softer. The both drop the car about the same.
Old 06-24-2008, 04:04 PM

I just recently replaced my stock struts with 130k on them with the Illumina's and matching springs. WOW is all I can say, I love taking corners, and my car feels like an entirely new car. It also looks way, and mean WAY, better due to the drop. Personally, the Illumina strut/spring setup is perfect for the daily driver. The springs are not too soft, yet not too hard. You'll be able to stiffen the ride up even more since the Illumina's are adjustable. I've ridden in a car with the Eibach's, eh, I wasn't impressed. It almost felt too stiff and rough for a daily driver.

If you research enough, It seems as if the Illumina struts/springs combo, or the Illumina's with Tein H-Techs are the way to go. If you have extra money, upgrade even more to the Koni Yellow's for your daily driver. Then you could start sacrificing ride quality for performance with coilovers. Good luck! I can promise you that you won't be disappointed with the Illumina setup.
Old 06-24-2008, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by JSutter
what kind of ride do you want? Eibachs are the stiffest available, the Tokicos are one of the softer. The both drop the car about the same.

Just curious, how do Tein S.Tech's stack up? Somewhere inbetween the two?
Old 06-24-2008, 04:39 PM

From what I've read, the S. Techs are basically like riding on the bumpstops since you have extremely limited strut travel with a drop that low, without going to coilovers. So you could expect a rougher ride. If you search for the spring you want using the search feature, there are some side by side comparisons of a few different springs.
Old 06-24-2008, 05:35 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I just redid my Eibachs a few weeks ago in my Maxima and if you like the stiffer ride with a decent amount of lowering then i would recommend them. Not sure how the others feel in terms of ride but i really like the Eibachs.

Last edited by Dredger; 06-24-2008 at 05:40 PM.
Old 06-24-2008, 07:16 PM

hell i thought everybody liked the h&r's from the extensive searchs i did.....i guess everybodys got their on opinion on whats best? well my h&r's came in today so i can give my opinion on those this weekend! haha
Old 06-24-2008, 09:23 PM

Anybody got any pics of there car on Illuminas w/Htechs?

I just got mine in today and wanted to see what the ride height would look like.
Old 06-24-2008, 09:59 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Here is my car with the tokico/illumina drop. I love the ride and the stance. I have my illuminas set to 5 all around but driving around town the ride isnt harsh but when it is time to perform they hit it on the dot. I tested my suspension out on some twisty back roads in Austin about a year ago and I kept up very well with the other maxima's I was in the group with. I love taking corners and I wont lie, sometimes I wish I was a bit lower, but the ride is on point and it still gives my ride that mean look. My next step will be coilovers but Im still loving these for now.

Last edited by max95q; 06-24-2008 at 10:01 PM.
Old 06-25-2008, 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by max95q

Here is my car with the tokico/illumina drop. I love the ride and the stance. I have my illuminas set to 5 all around but driving around town the ride isnt harsh but when it is time to perform they hit it on the dot. I tested my suspension out on some twisty back roads in Austin about a year ago and I kept up very well with the other maxima's I was in the group with. I love taking corners and I wont lie, sometimes I wish I was a bit lower, but the ride is on point and it still gives my ride that mean look. My next step will be coilovers but Im still loving these for now.
Progress technology provides an excellent ride and the drop is about 1/4 to 1/2 " lower than your Tokico springs! The Progress are really nice on long highway cruises!
Old 06-28-2008, 07:15 AM

I just did Tokico Illuminas w/ H-Techs man what a difference.
I had stock replacement (Gabriel) struts with Drop Zone springs.
It's like night and day...I've only had them on for an hour and I already know I will never go back to my old suspension.
It's still got a nice drop too and they havent settled yet

Old 06-28-2008, 09:08 AM
Addicted to the Org

Originally Posted by CMax03
Progress technology provides an excellent ride and the drop is about 1/4 to 1/2 " lower than your Tokico springs! The Progress are really nice on long highway cruises!
I just put progress on mine and love them!!!
Old 07-16-2008, 06:52 AM

I just had a right front Eibach Pro Kit Spring Fail last night after about 40k miles of normal use on my Maxima. It snapped on the 2nd coil from the top. The whole spring fell down off the strut perch and cut through the sidewall of my $280. Bridgestone Potenza.
This is my daily driver. Now I have to find a ride to work until it's fixed. This vehicle is not raced, matter of fact my wife was driving it at the time of the incident on the highway. Lucky she didn't crash. If that were the case it would be my attorney informing Eibach of their defect in the way of a formal complaint through the CT judicial system.
Up until this morning I felt fairly confident that being a name brand product this company would offer a legitimate warranty. "Million Miles" they tout. After further reading the Eibach Warranty Statement on the Eibach website it now seems the customer has to jump through literal hoops for a remedy at their "Sole Discretion". Seems to me like smoke and mirrors! Nothing but a headline marketing scheme without any value to the customer all drafted in legalese.
Now reading other testimonials on the web I see some validation to my phony warranty suspicions.
I have yet to pull the file with my receipt and contact Eibach directly and or the 3rd party vendor which sold me the product.
Based on other representations I'm very not confident at all I will receive satisfaction for a defective product which was potentially life threatening albeit advertising a Million Mile Warranty which would in all reasonableness depict quality and reliability.
I will post again with the final out come. Good or Bad. Honestly the $40 bucks or so it would cost the company to send me a new spring would in my opinion be a worth every penny for some much needed warranty claims PR help.