4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Quick HID wiring question

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 01:12 PM

Quick HID wiring question

Hey guys, I am kindof a newbie when it comes to this, but I have a real quick wiring question for my high intensity discharge kit.

It is a plug and play kit, however there are some wires I am unsure about.

Ok heres a pic of the kit. I assume the red and black wires coming off the bundle go to pos and neg on the battery terminals.

This I assume plugs into one of my headlight connectors. Is this normal to have it only plug into one and I just leave the other one dangling?

Also, I have no idea what to hook these white and blue wires up to.

Here, coming off each bulb is a light blue and red wire. I have no idea what these go to. Anyone?

Thanks guys, if anyone can help me out I would appreciate it.
Old 07-11-2008, 04:10 PM
Addicted to the Org

The red will go to the battery, and the black you will ground somewhere on the chassis. The white I have no idea. I got mine from the Group Deals and it was very easy to install.
Old 07-11-2008, 04:11 PM
No more Maximas...

What brand is it? Did it not come with instructions?
Old 07-11-2008, 05:53 PM
I love lamp.

Is that a high low kit, or a bi-xenon kit? If so, I believe those wires are suppose to be your high's. I believe you would wire those to the harness that has 2 wires dangling.

I do have to say that's a pretty crappy kit if it leaves wires dangling like that. All my wire harnesses I've had never had that.

S
Old 07-11-2008, 06:28 PM
Whatchyou say?

Can I just say .... see sig?
Old 07-12-2008, 09:28 AM
Whatchyou say?

I have to agree, wires being left to dangle will cause you problems. Even if you only have a xenon set up, tape those up ... if it's bi-xenon, hook em up. That harness looks like it came from the lowest bidder with the cheapest parts. You sure you want to trust it not to catch on fire? Not my car .... but I'm just sayin.
Old 07-12-2008, 03:27 PM

It was used, bought it from a Maxima.org member.

So far the kit works great, i just left the unknown wires dangling. According to the person I bought it from in the for sale thread, this kit did not have high beams, however the bulbs do have the hid bulb and a smaller halogen bulb that sticks out the side. I assume those wires are for the highbeam that come off the bulbs.

I still have absolutely no clue what the black and blue wires off that blue 9004 connector do though.

So far it works great except for a couple things:
1.)My passenger side light has a slightly different color and brightness than the drivers side, plus they kinda flicker a bit randomly within the first 3 minutes of being turned on. Also, when I switch them on they instantly go bright, then get dim and slowly get brighter as they warm up, is that normal?

2.)What could I hook the highbeam bulbs up to? The stock harness that feeds the stock bulbs has three wires, which two should I splice these wires into for high beams? Also, when I flip the high beams on, the HID lights turn off. So, if I get these bulbs wired correctly, then in theory when I put my brights on, the HIDs turn off, and the halogen high beams turn on. Is there a way to get both bulbs to run at the same time or will that overheat the bulbs? I know the factory setup runs both bulb elements with the highs on, so the wiring should be able to take it. Also considering the hids are powered directly off the battery and not he stock harness.
3.) And of course, those flippin blue and black wires....I have no idea where those go.

P.S. I now see why projectors are recommended. With the stock reflector housings I now have enough light to flippin lazer a stopsign in half from 500 feet away, that is if I don't get shot first from blinding someone.

I'm definitely gonna get some projectors soon, when in town I drive around with just fogs and parking lights on so I don't completely blind people when I don't need the light.

Last edited by modenaf1; 07-13-2008 at 09:25 PM.
Old 07-12-2008, 09:36 PM
Whatchyou say?

They are for wiring it to the parking lights to turn on the ballast (ready state) .... also, if you don't have projectors, wtf are you doing with HID's anyway? The glare has to be awfull from those.
Old 07-12-2008, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by JtzMax
They are for wiring it to the parking lights to turn on the ballast (ready state) .... also, if you don't have projectors, wtf are you doing with HID's anyway? The glare has to be awfull from those.
I didn't think projectors were completely necessary as the 5.5 gen max has them stock without projectors, however I now definitely understand and will probably buy projectors as I did not expect my lights to throw such an obscene amount of light in all directions, including up. lol

Are there any negatives if I just leave the black and blue wires taped off and the ballasts only turn on when I turn the headlights on as they are now besides it taking 15 seconds or so to reach full output? It won't damage the bulbs or the ballasts by not having it wired for that ready state will it?

Also a slight hum from the ballasts is fine right?
Old 07-12-2008, 10:17 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I actually believe it is the bulb that hums at the beginning. It's normal, so your good.

In order to use high beams and low beams at the same time you'll need a diode. You should wire it in from the high beam so that your low beam will receive power from it when you switch the stalk. I soldered a diode to 2 wires and then T-tapped them onto my wires. I'm sure there are other ways like useing the diode on the actually lamp relay nissan uses.

If you go w/projectors you will need to have d2s bulbs.

The color difference is b/c one bulb has a different amount of hours on it. Typically, if you have two of the same model bulbs, the yellower will be the newer. All HID bulbs shift their color to a violet/pink.

Look at this link. There are tons of stickied threads that will give you insight and answers to almost everything you will run accross. http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=21

I am actually selling a pair of projectors if you are interested. Check the for sale section on there or here. http://forums.maxima.org/general-max...rojectors.html

Last edited by AndrewR2442; 07-12-2008 at 10:38 PM.
Old 07-13-2008, 08:13 PM
Whatchyou say?

No, will not hurt anything to leave them taped up .... ballast hum is normal (shouldn't be that loud, but a little is normal. For the glaring ... projectors mate! That will focus the beam where you want it and not all over the place. It's normal to have to let the ballast "kick in" and it takes a few seconds. Mine do the exact same thing. No worrys mate!

Andrew .... one bulb probably is either a different temp (8k vs 10k or 12k, ya know) or ... as you said, one has many more hours than the other. When I replace headlights, I always do both at the same time. Maybe time for a new set of bulbs. (I have a set - brand new, never used if you do need a set. D2S and I want to say they're 8k, but I'll have to check.)
Old 07-13-2008, 08:18 PM

Dont really know about your problem, but I'd be careful with those bulbs one of my buddys installed them in his car and it started to melt the whole assembly.
Old 07-13-2008, 08:25 PM
Whatchyou say?

^^^^ Thus the use of projectors comes in!
Old 07-15-2008, 11:35 AM

My HIDS didn't work before but come to find it, it was actually the car headlight wiring. I rewired it and they work great sense then.
Old 07-15-2008, 02:51 PM
Whatchyou say?

I love Amerkin gramr .....