4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

What would you do ??

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 01:00 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

What would you do ??

Alright I dropped ONE of my rims, 18" Racing Hart C5's off at Goodyear near my house to get a tire put on since it had a bubble on it and just to be on the safe side. They got the tire and put it on.

I went up today to pick up the rim and there is a huge GOUGE of metal out of the face of one of the spokes that was NOT there when I dropped off the rim. Now my cars on jack stands, and I cant drive it.

I talked to a manager and he said he can send it to a rim place to have buffed out but I dont think its gonna be buffed out...its a pretty deep gash in the rim.

What would your course of action be ? Call customer service for Goodyear since its a corperate owned store ? Demand a new rim ?
Old 07-19-2008, 01:12 PM

If it can't be fixed then make them pay for a new wheel.
Old 07-19-2008, 01:55 PM

^ +1
Old 07-19-2008, 02:09 PM

Yea bro call corporate, I used to work at one years ago when I was like 16, used to see the so called "techs" or shop managers screw things up all the time,trying to deal with the problems at the shop itself was usually pointless. They always try to fix it without having it reported to corporate, even when its not the right way to go. I seen some idiot tire/oil change kid one time put the wrong filter on a newish Volvo....when the ladys car took a crap on her way home they towed it back, realized the problem and actually had the nuts to try to switch the wrong one for the correct filter and add oil to the car to "prove" it wasnt the shops fault. I ended up helping the lady via corporate and subsequently lost my job for telling the adjusters at the deposition what had really happened. Call them asap, dont let it go too long.
Old 07-19-2008, 02:11 PM

Yell a lot(when there is customers around, and say what has happened), and tell them they should pay for a new rim, not buff it out(if its a gouge, it wont work anyway). Make sure u got the receipt, same thing happened to me. Dumba$$ put normal weights on my black and chrome rims. Basically f*****g up the 2 front rims, luckilly, I stopped him after the front two. At first even the manager was trying to tell me that thats the right way to do it. Basically I created a HUGE scene(rims were brand new), talked to the manager, and they paid for new rims. They said they would balance my new ones for free, but I passed on that.

Last edited by vilmaxima; 07-19-2008 at 02:16 PM.
Old 07-19-2008, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by vilmaxima
Yell a lot(when there is customers around, and say what has happened), and tell them they should pay for a new rim, not buff it out(if its a gouge, it wont work anyway). Make sure u got the receipt, same thing happened to me. Dumba$$ put normal weights on my black and chrome rims. Basically f*****g up the 2 front rims, luckilly, I stopped him after the front two. At first even the manager was trying to tell me that thats the right way to do it. Basically I created a HUGE scene(rims were brand new), talked to the manager, and they paid for new rims.
PLease dont do it this way....not only will you look like an idiot, but it can sometimes turn a situation where your in the right into one where your in the wrong. I own a motorcycle shop, Ive dealt with these kinda customers before and trust me, they never get the result they are looking for. Be professional, deal with corporate, take all the right steps ie. take some pics, hopefully you have some before pics too, make sure to give them the name of any or all employees that either worked on or saw what happened and so on. Ive read your posts/threads before, I dont think you would go the idiot way...... this is the normal customer number, nothing special but a good start. (330) 796-2121. Its the Akron HQ number, start with them and go from there.

Last edited by Godson; 07-19-2008 at 02:23 PM.
Old 07-19-2008, 02:59 PM
Addicted to the Org

customer service sucks, call corporate and explain what happened and how expensive those wheels are. They should replace or give you the money to replace it.
Old 07-19-2008, 05:45 PM

let them buy you a new wheel.I think thats fair.

Last edited by Snypa; 07-20-2008 at 08:15 PM.
Old 07-19-2008, 05:55 PM

Yea, Im definetly dealing with it professionally. It is a copperate Goodyear so I can deal with it with the top and let them decide. I definetly dont want them to go buffing it out, No way its going to buff out.

Im gonna be calling first thing on monday.
Old 07-19-2008, 06:10 PM

sorry to hear I sorta had the kinda the same thing happened to me. I took my moms xk8 jag to get some tires put on, well I left and came back later the guy inside said the car wasn't done, so I sat down outside and saw the jag come out of the bay with the car still rolling backwards the guy pulls it into drive and floors it, takes it to the end of the parking lot pulls a couple corners spinning tires, then comes back. the whole time i was recording it with my phone. I took it and showed the manager and told him that if anything happen he would have to pay. anyhow on my way home the car started to make a loud cracking noise anyhow to make a long story short i took it back and the manager was like how do we know he did that? I was like dude I showed you the video anyhow I ended up taking it to corporate they ended up replacing the drive shaft that was bent and the rear diff which the gears were torn to pieces... If I were you I would contact corporate and make them fix it. Good luck with it.
Old 07-19-2008, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by Godson
Yea bro call corporate, I used to work at one years ago when I was like 16, used to see the so called "techs" or shop managers screw things up all the time,trying to deal with the problems at the shop itself was usually pointless. They always try to fix it without having it reported to corporate, even when its not the right way to go. I seen some idiot tire/oil change kid one time put the wrong filter on a newish Volvo....when the ladys car took a crap on her way home they towed it back, realized the problem and actually had the nuts to try to switch the wrong one for the correct filter and add oil to the car to "prove" it wasnt the shops fault. I ended up helping the lady via corporate and subsequently lost my job for telling the adjusters at the deposition what had really happened. Call them asap, dont let it go too long.
Funny you say that. I knew someone who got their oil changed at one of those places. It was on his '69 Mustang. They didn't screw the something back on and the newly build engine crapped out. The kid got fired and he got a brand new engine.
Old 07-19-2008, 07:30 PM

Here's what I would do, let them try and "buff it out", after you clearly watch that fail make them buy a new rim for you. Doing what vilmaxima said above will probably make you look like a selfish @$$hole who just wants to demand money out of a company. If that rim isn't 100% don't accept it, but handle it professionally.
Old 07-19-2008, 08:49 PM
Former Vendor

give them a shot at making itright however they see fit. if you are unhappy let them know and i'm sure they will take it to the next step. sounds like they're doing their best to fix the issue (and of course spend as little as possible). just don't letit go until you are satisfied.
Old 07-19-2008, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by Hexon
Funny you say that. I knew someone who got their oil changed at one of those places. It was on his '69 Mustang. They didn't screw the something back on and the newly build engine crapped out. The kid got fired and he got a brand new engine.
Its a sad day in America when kids of working age cant even be trusted with changing oil
Old 07-20-2008, 06:35 AM

Im not going to waste time and wait for them to "see if it buffs out" while my car sits on jack stands because then when they are done with the wheel in a few days and Im not happy with it, they are going to say they have done all they can. This is wasted time. Plus, even if it does buff out, it will be probably leave a nice faded section on the face of the wheel.

Im going to be calling on monday to take care of this with corperate.

-matt
Old 07-20-2008, 07:28 AM

Hey matty

Do you have pictures?
Because not to change the subject or anything, but I got my new tires put on at Firestone, and they put the 18x8.5s on Passenger side, and the 18x8s on the Driver side. And since I have directional tires I am going to have some problems...

Last edited by WhiteA32; 07-20-2008 at 07:32 AM.
Old 07-20-2008, 01:14 PM

^^^sounds like youre ready for a circle track bro...LOL , but it looks like theyre going to have to switch the right rfont rim with the left rear rim and than flip the tires around. good luck.
Old 07-20-2008, 06:37 PM

Yeah. Its going to be messy. I guess thats what I get for going to Firestone, haha Idiot me...
Old 07-24-2008, 05:54 AM

Well the manager stated he would see what could be done with the wheel once he has his wheel guy look at it. The wheel guy looked at it and said it has be reburbished to get the deep gouge out of the rim said there isnt a way for the damage to have happend by the wheel machine and there is other damage on the wheel already. BUT the damage this place did was on the FACE of the rim, not on the edge.
Then I get a call from the "Regional Team Leader" (not sure what position he has) in charge of four of the corperate stores, and stated they are NOT refinishing the wheel because they are stating the damage was not done in the shop that replaced the tire. He was also pretty arrogant about it as well and pretty much left me high and dry.

What should I do now. They are standing their ground on not fixing the damage.
It is $165 to have refurbished. Do I bring this to small claims court ?

They keep going back to the orgininal damage that was already on the wheel. How does that make this right ? If I bring my car in for work, and I have dent in the door, that means you can keep putting more dents in the door and it doesnt matter.
Old 07-24-2008, 06:21 AM
Whatchyou say?

Originally Posted by Hexon
If it can't be fixed then make them pay for a new wheel.
Without question, this is what I would do. That sucks mate ... hope they treat you right!

edit: just read your post ... call an attorney and see what they recommend. One of them will talk to you for free ... and just give you $0.02 of advice. (if not the first laywer .... call several!) Don't give in on this ... if they caused the problem, they need to fix it. Go over this guys head as well .... talk to his boss and explain that you are the customer, he is arrogant, and the damage WAS caused by GoodYear.

Last edited by JtzMax; 07-24-2008 at 06:26 AM.
Old 07-24-2008, 06:49 AM

I would get a lawyer and take there *** to court!!! I hate companies like this. This is why I only take my car to Discount tire co. and I sit there and watch them do it like a hawk.......
Old 07-24-2008, 07:07 AM

Well i dont really feel like going to court, and they called me and said they will pay $100 of the repair. Sick of arguing, just get this behind me
Old 07-24-2008, 07:31 AM

Matty,

No punt intended. Since you had a bubble, could that had been a road damage? If it is on the face, it would not been road damage. I had an 18 inch wheel damaged before by hitting a pot hole. Still looking for a replacement of that wheel.
Old 07-24-2008, 07:36 AM
Got Retrofit?

Let them buy you a new rim since buffing won't remove a gouge like that.
Old 07-24-2008, 07:41 AM
Whatchyou say?

Matt ... I wouldn't settle for them just paying a bill towards replacing the wheel. That means that you pay the remainder and you more than likely had to pay for the service that was done (that caused this whole mess) as well. How is that right? In my book, it's not. Like I said ... go over this Reigonal guy to his boss.

Also ... a bubble in a tire is from a couple of things, but most likely a defect in the tire. A borken belt (in the tire) could cause a bubble, a weakend sidewall will also do it. Doesn't mean that he (Matty) did anything to cause this.
Old 07-24-2008, 08:00 AM

Nah the bubble has been in there for a long time, I just decided to get it replaced now.
The Gouge out of the rim was caused by them and they are stating they shouldnt have to refurbish the rim completely since there was other damage on the rim. Usually I would argue, but i just dont feel like dealing with this any longer. Lesson learned, $65 on my part and I WONT have to deal with court.
Old 07-24-2008, 08:02 AM
Former Vendor

you're not going to find a new c5 replacement anyway. those have been discontinued forever.

They keep going back to the original damage that was already on the wheel. How does that make this right?
they are only responsible to get it back to prior condition. if there was prior damage and the whole wheel must be refinished then they are only responsible for part of the cost.

sucks, but thats the way it is.
Old 07-24-2008, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by matty
Nah the bubble has been in there for a long time, I just decided to get it replaced now.
The Gouge out of the rim was caused by them and they are stating they shouldnt have to refurbish the rim completely since there was other damage on the rim. Usually I would argue, but i just dont feel like dealing with this any longer. Lesson learned, $65 on my part and I WONT have to deal with court.
Sad thats how it had to end man. Clearly at this point to resolve it this was a good move though, getting a lawyer? wtf? some people are crazy man lol, yea you usually wouldnt go to small claims court with a lawyer lol... Either way man, I always stay away from these kinda places now too, I usually prefer smaller independently owned shops, take a good walk around of the car with the owner/manager before leaving it, in this case making note of the previous wheel damage might have helped, dunno. Sure your just glad to be off the jackstands