4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

cars been pulling very crappy... Time for tuneup

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 05:42 PM

cars been pulling very crappy... Time for tuneup

Hopefully a tuneup will help me, at least my Gas MPG has been better since replacing the Knocksensor. I mostly only drive highway and been getting 23-24mpg. I want it better but I gotta do more stuff... but the pull has just been ****. I feel like she is about %50 as less powerful on pulls and I couldn't even chirp 2nd today and I let go the clutch completely when going into 2nd....

but it is a factory clutch and that needs to be replaced soon. 170k original!!!

1st gear feels alright and Torque-ky but every other gear feels like she is getting tired. Could be slipping? When engaged? and I blasted her into 3rd on the hwy and THAT even sucked. So there is def something wrong. I need to get not only a tuneup but find a place to get her tuned. =[

btw, havnet got any codes or SES lights for that matta since replacing the Knock sensor. Right now the car is feeling so sluglish I almost hate to admit that a stock civic could be me... lol....well maybe THAT bad...haha
Old 07-21-2008, 06:06 PM

did you reset your ecu by chance after replacing the ks?

also if you think your clutch is slipping. go on the free way put it into 5th and try to stay in the lower rpms. give it some gas. if your rpm's go up and your mph's dont go up its a good sign that your clutch is going. but if your mph is going up with your rpms then its ok. also start from a stand still and put it in first. and try to kill it. if it doesnt die your clutch is going as well

hope that helps
Old 07-21-2008, 08:22 PM

Temperatures any? I know at 100 degrees F my car feels a lot more sluggish, especially if I have the AC on.
Old 07-21-2008, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by modenaf1
Temperatures any? I know at 100 degrees F my car feels a lot more sluggish, especially if I have the AC on.
Don't forget that you live in a high altitude area and the sea level is like 13,000 feet below sea level so that will really play a huge factor in the summer.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by vqmaxman
Don't forget that you live in a high altitude area and the sea level is like 13,000 feet below sea level so that will really play a huge factor in the summer.
:Good call.

First, the ECU should be reset, you did do that right?

Here are some possibilities:

1. Sparkplugs.

2. Fuel filter could be clogged.

3. Air filter could be clogged.

4. Fuel pump could be worn provind low fuel pressure for the injectors.

5. Your emergency brake could be on.

Last edited by Divewjason; 07-21-2008 at 10:59 PM.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by vqmaxman

Definitely. Even though our altitude is about 5,500 feet here in Denver, on these hot days it sucks. I went flying the other day and the airport said the air density was something like 9,000 feet at that temperature. Man our Cessna had a slow *** climbout.

But yea, altitude sucks year round, even in the winter, spring, or fall when it is cooler you still make a lot less power up here than you do at sea level.

Then again though, altitude shouldn't really apply to the original poster has his car probably hasn't changed altitudes since he has noticed it getting less powerful.