4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

please help...car stalling out

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 09:31 AM

please help...car stalling out

Ive read most of the threads about maximas stalling out but I still have no idea what the hell to do. My problem started when i was driving home and my car stalled out while approaching a stop light. When I would try to start it up again, it would stall out when dropped into drive. I eventually got it to start up and cruised another 3 blocks and made it to the complex before it stalled out again. I charged the battery and the car ran fine 2 days later. Then yesterday, i was going to work and when i was pressing on the gas, the car was studdering or bogging out. it would go then the rpms would drop then go then drop. Today when i started it up to test drive it again, i had to press on the gas to get it started, but when the rpms dropped to the 1000's and below, the car stalls. I diagnosed the check engine light and got codes 0801, 0304, 1001, and 1005. But im not sure if they have anything to do with the problem. Im honestly thinking about just selling this and getting a new car real soon if i cant figure it out. any one have any suggestions, please help.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:59 AM

im thinking its the maf. mine did the same thing. does it run rich while it's dying out ? did you look those codes up yet ?
Old 07-24-2008, 12:20 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM GOING ON RIGHT NOW. WHAT I DID IS I CLEANED OUT THE MASS AIRFLOW SENSOR AND IT HASNT STALLED OUT SINCE BUT I KNOW THE PROBLEM IS NOT FIXED. IF YOU FIND THE SOLUTION PLEASE LET ME KNOW I HAVE A 1996 MAXIMA
Old 07-24-2008, 12:30 PM
Whatchyou say?

^^^^ wtf mate ???? Why are you YELLING at us ??? No all caps, duh!
Old 07-29-2008, 08:03 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

LISTEN man my car was stalling out too DONT WORRY there is a part called a (mass Airflow Sensor) take it off and clean everything out The problem on mine was that the connectors were touching correctly looked like some kind of acid was on them so cleaned them and car runs good !
Old 07-29-2008, 08:41 PM
Whatchyou say?

You're not going to do well here my friend ....

All caps is considered rude unless you are making a point to someone like YOU that just doesn't get it. How do you know it's his MAF? It could be several things and until we get more detail, nobody knows for sure. Just because you had that issue doesn't mean that every problem is going to be the same.

Ok to the OP (that's the Original Poster by the way for the in here.
Check your hoses going to your intake. If one of the PCV hoses is off, it will act like this. Make sure your vac lines are all on too. Do you have a stock intake, or CAI / Ram .... ???? You can also check to make sure the MAF is pluged in all the way. You might also try to clean the TB while you're at it. That will normally do wonders for any issues with stalling / hard starting. When was the last plug change? How many miles on the Max?

Old 07-30-2008, 10:47 PM

I'm having the same problem! My car had been shaking when I put the car in drive. So I figured out that my fuel mixture is rich due to my oxygen sensors in bank 2 need to be replaced and a bad mass air flow sensor! Today I replaced my mass air flow sensor and that's when the stalling began! Im going to replace the oxygen sensors this weekend and Ill post the results!

Hopefully this will assist you in finding your problems!!!
Old 07-30-2008, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by JtzMax
You're not going to do well here my friend ....

All caps is considered rude unless you are making a point to someone like YOU that just doesn't get it. How do you know it's his MAF? It could be several things and until we get more detail, nobody knows for sure. Just because you had that issue doesn't mean that every problem is going to be the same.

Ok to the OP (that's the Original Poster by the way for the in here.
Check your hoses going to your intake. If one of the PCV hoses is off, it will act like this. Make sure your vac lines are all on too. Do you have a stock intake, or CAI / Ram .... ???? You can also check to make sure the MAF is pluged in all the way. You might also try to clean the TB while you're at it. That will normally do wonders for any issues with stalling / hard starting. When was the last plug change? How many miles on the Max?

Do what he says !!!!
Old 08-05-2008, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by represent24
I'm having the same problem! My car had been shaking when I put the car in drive. So I figured out that my fuel mixture is rich due to my oxygen sensors in bank 2 need to be replaced and a bad mass air flow sensor! Today I replaced my mass air flow sensor and that's when the stalling began! Im going to replace the oxygen sensors this weekend and Ill post the results!

Hopefully this will assist you in finding your problems!!!
So I replaced my oxygen sensors. My car perrrs! The car hasn't shook violently or stalled plus my check engine light has cleared!
Old 08-05-2008, 03:47 PM

yeah you guys have better listen to JTZ and not mouth off....he has the power to make your 5mt self destruct at any time he wants...LOL
Old 08-05-2008, 04:08 PM

i had a similar problem like that and it turned out my alternator wuz shot. i did not get the battery & brake light on my cluster.
Old 08-05-2008, 05:34 PM
Whatchyou say?

Originally Posted by QNO_A32
yeah you guys have better listen to JTZ and not mouth off....he has the power to make your 5mt self destruct at any time he wants...LOL
LOL I just try to help people out, I am not above anybody in any way, shape or form. I just enjoy it here and if I can help someone, I try to.

Glad your problem is fixed mate!

Cheers
Old 10-02-2008, 11:25 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Im having the same problem and suspect the maf sensor based on lots of research. But one troubling question is this: I read that disconnecting the maf plug will make the car run on a default setting that will stop the stalling problem. With the plug unplugged though the opposite happened, car would stall right away after starting or just not start?

-ive cleaned the mass air flow sensor
-replaced the fuel filter
-new plugs
-new pcv
-about 290k on the max

I am about to buy a used (but working) maf sensor and just read about the hoses above. I noticed an open hose right near the front of the air box. It is about 5/8" thick and has a small hole about 1/4" and it has a curve right near the open end. I looked everywhere but do not see where this could plug in?

any ideas check before i drop $80 on the maf

Thanks for any help!

Last edited by hamish007; 10-02-2008 at 11:28 AM.
Old 10-02-2008, 03:52 PM
Whatchyou say?

First and foremost!!!!!!

http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...e-posting.html

Here ... just incase you missed that one ... here it is again!
http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...e-posting.html

Post your question there please. And, search (at the top of every page) for your question / answer.
Old 07-13-2009, 09:45 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I fixed the stalling issue by replacing the coolant temp sensor. Amazing that this sensor can cause the car to stall in mid driving. Seems to me that is a bad glitch in the computer program running the engine. But thats what did it.

hope this helps someone else before they look at the expensive MAF.

James