4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Quick Clutch Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2001 | 03:24 PM

Quick Clutch Question

Just out of curiosity how do you know when you need a new clutch and for people who get aftermarket ones.. why? Is it because they last longer hold up better etc? Is there a point in power mods that you should do it anyway just because the stock one does not hold up anymore?

SuDZ
Old 11-07-2001 | 03:40 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Quick Clutch Question

Originally posted by SuDZ
Just out of curiosity how do you know when you need a new clutch and for people who get aftermarket ones.. why? Is it because they last longer hold up better etc? Is there a point in power mods that you should do it anyway just because the stock one does not hold up anymore?

SuDZ
You need a new clutch when you press the gas pedal and the RPM's go up but the car does not move. Believe me, you will know when your clutch is bad, it's hard to miss. People buy ftermarket clutches for a few reasons, most comenly people think it is going to make there car faster, usually this is not true. A heavy aftermarket clutch like a ACT will just make you loose power because of the added weight to the drive system. People with NOS or SC's need a heavy duty clutch because the nissan oem one can not hold all the power.
Typically a aftermarket clutch will not last as long as a oem clutch. My centerforce clutch lasted me 10K miles, Piece of junk!
Old 11-08-2001 | 12:24 PM

Re: Re: Quick Clutch Question

Originally posted by emax95

You need a new clutch when you press the gas pedal and the RPM's go up but the car does not move. Believe me, you will know when your clutch is bad, it's hard to miss. People buy ftermarket clutches for a few reasons, most comenly people think it is going to make there car faster, usually this is not true. A heavy aftermarket clutch like a ACT will just make you loose power because of the added weight to the drive system. People with NOS or SC's need a heavy duty clutch because the nissan oem one can not hold all the power.
Typically a aftermarket clutch will not last as long as a oem clutch. My centerforce clutch lasted me 10K miles, Piece of junk!
Cool Thanks. How much does a OEM clutch run anyway? I think the ACT ones are like 350 or so right?

SuDZ
Old 11-08-2001 | 12:46 PM

ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!

I got my max with a clutch starting to go. I replaced it with a centerforce daul friction clutch. I have had the new clutch and it has been absolutely great. No problems. ANd the aftermarket centerforce graps a lot harder. Whether or not it helps you go faster is besides the point. THERE IS A DIFFERENCE. I have no big mods like a turbo or a supercharger but I like my centerforce and I am sure there are a lot of people on this board that will say aftermarket clutches are better than stock. The only drawback I got from my new clutch is that it is a little notchier in shifting...meaning you have to shift a little bit more precise. 10,000 miles on a clutch of any sorts means that you don't know how to shift or you are launching it to hard all the time. I'm sorry to hear you centerforce only lasted that long. What a waste of money..you should have a talk with the company. That isn't right.
Old 11-08-2001 | 12:52 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

clutch

i have a act clutch and it makes a world of difference. worth every penny. if i bad a bone stock max an upgraded clutch would be the first thing id get.
Old 11-08-2001 | 01:40 PM
rOaD bEaSt

Guys I changed my clutch to ceterfource duel friction after 10 days it's slipped but I didn't give it chance to take seat I mean I was speeding at my car from the begging ..

I was launching my car at second 6700 rpm just to show the guys that I have a wheel spent at the secong gear from luanching and I used NOS for once at the same clutch after few days it sliped and dameged my stillen flywheel ..

My mechanic did polish the flywheel and did some hard lines in it he told me that this will support your clutch not to slipe then I used the same the centerforce prussure and I returned back to the stock clutch the grip was as before ..

But before yesterday I raced a car with NOS I passed him I was really happy so the guys told we wanna see your lunch with NOS I had a wheel spent at the first and second and third I have the video I will post it after few days ..

Then my clutch was died ..

NOw I changed it to centerforse again with new prussure and clutch ..

I'm giving my car about 500 mile with no speed ..

Do you think that the centerforce is a bad clutch ?

I sent my old clutch to stillen they told me this was because you didn't know how to install it haha ..

They didn't want to give me a new one and I'm sure we install it correct ?

Is there any clutch that can handel the power of NOS ?

Thanks and sorry for my bad English
Old 11-08-2001 | 03:48 PM

Re: ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!

Originally posted by buckwilly4
I got my max with a clutch starting to go. I replaced it with a centerforce daul friction clutch. I have had the new clutch and it has been absolutely great. No problems. ANd the aftermarket centerforce graps a lot harder. Whether or not it helps you go faster is besides the point. THERE IS A DIFFERENCE. I have no big mods like a turbo or a supercharger but I like my centerforce and I am sure there are a lot of people on this board that will say aftermarket clutches are better than stock. The only drawback I got from my new clutch is that it is a little notchier in shifting...meaning you have to shift a little bit more precise. 10,000 miles on a clutch of any sorts means that you don't know how to shift or you are launching it to hard all the time. I'm sorry to hear you centerforce only lasted that long. What a waste of money..you should have a talk with the company. That isn't right.
No Bucky I am not kidding you. Belive me every one here except for you and MY4DSC hate centerforce clutches. Also my stock oem clutch lasted me 91K miles of abuse, I will admit I abuse my clutches but nissan oem clutches are best hands down for reliabilty. Also I have had 2 different centerforce clutches, I had one on my SC I30 and the centerforce clutch slipped from the get go, I did 500 easy miles on it so I know I broke it in fine. You can ask any of the NE guys who went to the meet, my Centerforce clutch SUCKED and it only had 1000 miles on it. That same day I blew the clutch to pieces {Literaly} because of a miss shift. Do a search on Centerforce and you will find a LOT of members saying exactly what I am saying. My condolences for purchasing that piece of sheit.

nismo2020, I agree ACT clutches are awesome! But I would not buy one unless I has forced induction. I feel this way because I have heard to many story's of aftermarket clutches not lasting long. Try to find one person who has a aftermarket clutch with over 90K miles on it. If you do, I will take back every thing I just said.

Road Beast, my condolences for you makinf the same mistake twice, I was in your shoes not to long ago myself. Good luck and hopefully your new Centerforce Clutch gives you some life. If history repeats it's self you will be *****ing like me.
Old 11-08-2001 | 05:27 PM

so how much is an oem clutch cost wise?
Old 11-08-2001 | 11:42 PM

Re: Re: ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!

nismo2020, I agree ACT clutches are awesome! But I would not buy one unless I has forced induction. I feel this way because I have heard to many story's of aftermarket clutches not lasting long. Try to find one person who has a aftermarket clutch with over 90K miles on it. If you do, I will take back every thing I just said..
The ACT clutch kit is simply a rebuilt STOCK nissan pressure plate modified for MUCHO GRABBING....and a MODIFIED stock Nissan disc in which the marcel is ground for quicker clutch action....in this case I don't see why an ACT wouldn't last just as long as a stock clutch...if not longer because of better holding
Old 11-09-2001 | 02:40 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

briguymax - well i have along way to go before 90k comes up. if im still around ill let ya know

maxeja - a dealer once qouted me 400.00 for a factory clutch.
Old 11-09-2001 | 06:26 AM

No condolences needed

I have already put enough miles on it to say that it is lasting fine, its been almost a year with the centerforce. You guys know there is a break in period correct? It lasts for about 500-1000 miles on the clutch where you should keep your launches at a minimum. I have used a lot of clutches but never a centerforce and the grip is rediculous. I almost got an ACT but some of my friends who had se-r's likes the centerforce because of its grippyness. I know two people who have centerforces with over 40 grand on them a piece or more and they autocross. I think $400 for the oem clutch is correct, I was checking out a lot of clutches when mine originally went. The only thing I have ever felt from my new clutch that makes me slightly cringe is when I shift into second there is a very slight grind....but that is only once in a while and it comes just when I start up the car in the freezing cold and leave bfore it fully warms up...I think it is just the fluid still being cold and my half *** shift I do when I can barely open my eyes. ANd sometimes it doesnt even happen. BUt I do like the third gear wheel spin I can get in this weather. And I could not do that with my prior clutch
Old 11-09-2001 | 07:50 AM

Originally posted by MAXEJA
so how much is an oem clutch cost wise?
I paid $180 at my local dealer for my replacement Nissan clutch. Just for the clutch kit.
Old 11-09-2001 | 11:05 AM

I'm in need of a new clutch myself, but I only have 43,000 miles as well. My car has been to the track 3 times, but I never launch above 3000 and I really don't race on the street that often. Everyone from Dallas reccommends the ACT clutch, and I spent a while talking to Loren about it. I believe Thomas doesn't like the Centerforce, and he went with an ACT the next time around. I should be getting a new ACT around Dec so I'll be able to speak about it then.
-hype
Old 11-09-2001 | 12:02 PM

Courtesy nissan sells oem clutch's for $180.

BriGuyMax, maybe your right. I knew ACT uses a oem pressure plate, but I don't know..
Old 11-11-2001 | 10:38 PM

10K? sounds dumb

jesus christ! only 10Kmiles?
you a clutch rider or what! you probably started with automatic tranny before driving manual transmission.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by emax95
[B]

Old 11-12-2001 | 08:33 AM

Re: Re: Re: ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!

Originally posted by BriGuyMax

The ACT clutch kit is simply a rebuilt STOCK nissan pressure plate modified for MUCHO GRABBING....
incorrect terminology.. they are not 'rebuilt.' Rebuilt means that a used part is used. Brand new components are used on ACT (and other manuf) clutch components.
Old 11-12-2001 | 10:56 AM

So what is average price for an aftermarket clutch then either from ACT or Centerforce. I am not in need of one but just curious. Also how much time is involved in replacing one? What does it entail?

SuDZ
Old 11-12-2001 | 11:48 AM
rOaD bEaSt

How much does the clutch master cost they have stage 4 I don't think that this will slip ?
Old 11-12-2001 | 11:55 AM

Umm, you sure the disc is just a modified nissan disc? Check this pic out cause my ACT MM and Nissan OEM clutch discs looked nothing alike. http://www.geocities.com/ericdwong/p.../img000001.jpg
Old 12-16-2001 | 01:49 PM

Re: clutch

Originally posted by nismo2020
i have a act clutch and it makes a world of difference. worth every penny. if i bad a bone stock max an upgraded clutch would be the first thing id get.
Did you get the chatter with the ACT clutch or did it go away after a while? also i heard you can chirp the tires shifting to 3rd gear if you have an intake and y-pipe cause the clutch grabes that well
Old 12-16-2001 | 03:46 PM

My OEM clutch lasted over 125,000 miles, and I'd still be using it if it weren't for my trips to the drag strip. I replaced the OEM clutch with a Centerforce Gold clutch, and had the old flywheel resurfaced. The Centerforce clutch lasted about 20,000 miles before it began to slip under hard acceleration. I ran easy for the 1st 500 miles, too.

Now I have a JWT Stage II clutch, which I understand is actually an ACT clutch. I put a Stillen aluminum flywheel on there, too. The new set-up is more difficult to use for day-to-day driving, especially in stop-and-go traffic. The clutch will chatter if your footwork is not quite right. But once you're in gear, that baby won't slip! Don't ask me how much I paid for any of this, as I do not remember. Thanks.

I have driven manual shift cars continuously since '74. Lift-throttle on the upshift. Match-revs on the way down. Never power shift. Don't miss a shift. This will extend the lives of both the clutch and the brakes.
Old 12-17-2001 | 12:00 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Re: Re: clutch

Originally posted by GTRBlkMax97
Did you get the chatter with the ACT clutch or did it go away after a while? also i heard you can chirp the tires shifting to 3rd gear if you have an intake and y-pipe cause the clutch grabes that well
yes it still chatters. the only way you get it to be less noticeable is to rev the engine up a little but i just got use to it. when i put my factory 15" rims on i can chirp fourth gear. if im not careful on launches i can spin the tires through first and second.
Old 12-17-2001 | 12:08 PM

Re: Re: Re: clutch

when i put my factory 15" rims on i can chirp fourth gear.
No ****!!!!! 4th? is that the stage one HDMM clutch? the modified street disc
Old 12-17-2001 | 12:39 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Re: Re: Re: Re: clutch

No ****!!!!! 4th? is that the stage one HDMM clutch? the modified street disc
yes
Old 12-17-2001 | 01:15 PM

Wow this thread was resurected from the dead.

Hey what I was gonna ask was how do the newer aftermarket clutches effect your launches? Do you get better ones or better 0 - 60 ft times from them?

SuDZ
Old 12-17-2001 | 01:39 PM

Wow this thread was resurected from the dead.

Hey what I was gonna ask was how do the newer aftermarket clutches effect your launches? Do you get better ones or better 0 - 60 ft times from them?

SuDZ
you could probably get better times as well with that type of grip when shifting
Old 12-17-2001 | 01:41 PM

you could probably get better times as well with that type of grip when shifting
Oh I did not know that it mattered all that much in the shifting also. I thought it was mainly the launches.

How does it effect the shifting between gearst?

SuDZ
Old 12-17-2001 | 01:49 PM

Oh I did not know that it mattered all that much in the shifting also. I thought it was mainly the launches.

How does it effect the shifting between gearst?

SuDZ
I would think so because the less grip you have shifting the longer it takes for the tranny to start to get up and run again, cause with a bad clutch it has less grip, my car has been getting slower and slower as the days go by but hopefully I will get my loan and get the clutch put in on Friday Nissan is giving me a free rental too you know what that means
But yea I know a guy who said he gained almost a half a sec on the 1/8 mile because he put a good stage 1 clutch in and could get a good launch and a quick grippy switch
Old 12-18-2001 | 06:25 AM

well...

Since this thread was brought back...
I have just put 30 grand on my centerforce. Normal wear and tear on the car...the clutch is the best it has every been. I have no idea why so many org. members have had problems with theirs. I actually asked my mechanic to check out the clutch just to make sure it is all in tact. You barely have to put your foot down on the clutch to get it to shift and I spend all day flicking the shifter into and out of gear...very smooth. I hated my OEM clutch but I got the car when the clutch was on its final 10 grand of miles. I looked at a lot of aftermarket clutches and thought centerforce was a popular and it was cheaper than its competitors. I had not heard any complaints outside of max.org until lately about the centerforce. I guess I got lucky....or maybe I am light on the clutch. Who knows....
Old 12-18-2001 | 05:57 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: clutch

yes
What mods do you have on your car?
Old 12-19-2001 | 07:22 AM

mods

High Flow-cat, k&n drop in, apex-i...nothing really done internally. Suspension, cross-drilled rotors...
Old 12-19-2001 | 07:22 PM

People buy ftermarket clutches for a few reasons, most comenly people think it is going to make there car faster, usually this is not true.

less slippage in between shifts will allow the power to be transferred more efficiently to the wheels. in some cases... it will make the car faster.

A heavy aftermarket clutch like a ACT will just make you loose power because of the added weight to the drive system.

I've got several clutch kits in stock. Want me to weigh them? They are not heavier than stock.

People with NOS or SC's need a heavy duty clutch because the nissan oem one can not hold all the power.

the ACT organic holds 362 lb-ft torque and has 39% pressure increase over stock

incorrect generalization..
Old 12-19-2001 | 07:29 PM
Administrator

Phuong.. who said all that BS? that you quoted?

i have 100 shot of NOS on an OEM clutch and i am happy to report no slipping..

sx7r aka thomas has 295hp and 385 ft tq to his ACT street clutch and its holding up fine.. phil has even more hp and more tq than that and his ACT street clutch is holding up fine also...

4th Gen Centerforce sucks.. how many times am i going to say this over and over again.. jeez
Old 12-19-2001 | 08:12 PM

do you ride on your clutch during light to heavy traffic? clutch that goes bad for only 10Kmiles sounds more like bad driving habits.

Old 12-19-2001 | 11:43 PM

Re: Re: Re: Quick Clutch Question

Originally posted by carlmax5
do you ride on your clutch during light to heavy traffic? clutch that goes bad for only 10Kmiles sounds more like bad driving habits.

I agree. I know people who get 150K on the first clutch. Something just does not sound right about it.

SuDZ
Old 12-20-2001 | 02:39 AM
Administrator

Re: Re: Re: Quick Clutch Question

Originally posted by carlmax5

wrong.. the centerforce sucks.. Jon in CT his started slipping after 2k..

i said it before in this thread an every other thread.. CENTERFORCE SUCKS!!!

i told Ethan before he bought his centerforce.. and I told Road Beast before he bought his Centerforce.. and i will say it again

CENTERFORCE CLUTCHES FOR 4TH GEN'S SUCK
Old 12-20-2001 | 03:49 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

sprint - 100 shot + factory clutch??? how many miles on the clock? do you do a lot of hard launches i.e. stop light racing ?
Old 12-20-2001 | 06:00 AM
Administrator

sprint - 100 shot + factory clutch??? how many miles on the clock? do you do a lot of hard launches i.e. stop light racing ?
lots of hard racing.. i hit WOT everytime i get in my car.. i have 96k on the ODO.. ask the NY/CT/MA boys.. i drive my baby pretty hard.. "drive it like you stole it"

i think the woman who had my car in the prior lease ither..

a) drove it like a baby and kept the clutch good..
b) messed up the first clutch and nissan did a replacement
Old 12-20-2001 | 06:41 AM

Thanks Sprintmax

For that great analysis and generalization based on one centerforce experience. Oh, and your mature response to this thread. The reason why you keep having to repeat yourself is maybe because you are one person with one opinion. "drive it like you stole it" Well, you might want to check that vin # and realize that all the nasty driving is hitting you bank acount and going on YOUR car regardless.... because you didn't steal it. That comment really makes me want to side with your opinions. If the clutch was such a bad product then why do so many people have them as upgrades on their cars? You vs. the market. I will believe the market. A lot of the people who have ruined their centerforce clutches have destroyed them because of poor driving. End of story. Until I have issues with mine...I still say they are great. But what do I know. I only hand out on this web board for about 10 mintues a day at the most. I am not as knowledgeable as you.
Old 12-20-2001 | 06:51 AM
Administrator

Re: Thanks Sprintmax

ONE?

you can't count very well can you?

Jon in CT
Ethan in RI
Roadbeast in the Middle East

thats one right?

and as far as you attacking my driving habbits?

I DO NOT HAVE A CLUTCH PROBLEM

i put it large since you missed that the first time
Originally posted by buckwilly4
For that great analysis and generalization based on one centerforce experience. Oh, and your mature response to this thread. The reason why you keep having to repeat yourself is maybe because you are one person with one opinion. "drive it like you stole it" Well, you might want to check that vin # and realize that all the nasty driving is hitting you bank acount and going on YOUR car regardless.... because you didn't steal it. That comment really makes me want to side with your opinions. If the clutch was such a bad product then why do so many people have them as upgrades on their cars? You vs. the market. I will believe the market. A lot of the people who have ruined their centerforce clutches have destroyed them because of poor driving. End of story. Until I have issues with mine...I still say they are great. But what do I know. I only hand out on this web board for about 10 mintues a day at the most. I am not as knowledgeable as you.

Quick Reply: Quick Clutch Question