4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

New Alternator,Starter,Battery Still Shutting Off

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 11:05 AM

New Alternator,Starter,Battery Still Shutting Off

It all started last Saturday. My car would'nt start. So I changed my starter and the alternator. Monday comming from work the car started to sputter and then just shut off. Jump starts didn't work. I went and got another battery. Yesterday on the way home from work it shut off again. The drive belt was turning the alternator and there is no squeal at all. Possibly a bad NEW alternator (pep boys). Or something else? Any help is appreciated.
Old 08-27-2008, 11:10 AM

did you just jump to conclusion and changed your alt and starter? also what does it do when it shuts off does it still turn or is it just dead?
Old 08-27-2008, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by oc_wicked
did you just jump to conclusion and changed your alt and starter? also what does it do when it shuts off does it still turn or is it just dead?
Of course I jumped to that conlusion. I had to get my *** to work Monday.
When it shuts off it will idle but it sputters like it's not getting gas or something, everything flickers and then it dies. When I go to start it I get the buzzing noise and all the lights dim and it won't turn over.
Old 08-27-2008, 01:28 PM

how do you jump your car? + to + and - to - or the proper way(o so my chemistry teacher says) + to + and -(their car) to the body of ur car? i just say this bc this is how i found out my bro max ground was bad. try changing the ground from the battery to the engine cable. its like $8 and 5min job.
Old 08-27-2008, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by maf2003111
how do you jump your car? + to + and - to - or the proper way(o so my chemistry teacher says) + to + and -(their car) to the body of ur car? i just say this bc this is how i found out my bro max ground was bad. try changing the ground from the battery to the engine cable. its like $8 and 5min job.
they do the last connection to a ground just in case there's gas fumes floating around engine bay, no explosion.
Old 08-27-2008, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by B_Eaze
they do the last connection to a ground just in case there's gas fumes floating around engine bay, no explosion.
well maybe that too but how it was explain to me is that older batteries acid/water inside with time turns to vapor and with no liquid inside the metal plates in the battery would cause a spark and battery would blow due to the vapor. my teacher said this happened to one of her family members. i never seen it and thank god i have a red top(gel filled)

*update*
i just found this, it might explain it better then me
http://www.carbuyingtips.com/jumpstart.htm

sry to OP for putting other info but safety comes 1st

Last edited by maf2003111; 08-27-2008 at 02:37 PM.
Old 08-27-2008, 04:59 PM
CLICK CLACK 1

recheck alt and battery connections for tightness and corrosion free, if ok then get alt bench tested, at least youll now what direction to go after this.
Old 08-27-2008, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by maf2003111
well maybe that too but how it was explain to me is that older batteries acid/water inside with time turns to vapor and with no liquid inside the metal plates in the battery would cause a spark and battery would blow due to the vapor. my teacher said this happened to one of her family members. i never seen it and thank god i have a red top(gel filled)

*update*
i just found this, it might explain it better then me
http://www.carbuyingtips.com/jumpstart.htm

sry to OP for putting other info but safety comes 1st
either way, no explosion.

OP, Did you get your altenator checked?
Old 08-29-2008, 07:12 AM

I'm pulling the alt today.
I 4got to mention sometimes when i went to start the car I would get a grinding noise when I turn the ignition. Could that be another factor in this?
Old 08-29-2008, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by LILMAN
I'm pulling the alt today.
I 4got to mention sometimes when i went to start the car I would get a grinding noise when I turn the ignition. Could that be another factor in this?
I would say it sounds like your starter motor needs to be regreased but you just changed your starter and your car shouldn't shut off from that. Did your car make the same noise with both starters?

Maybe have someone start your car and listen under the hood yourself

Last edited by B_Eaze; 08-29-2008 at 08:46 AM.
Old 08-29-2008, 08:44 AM

Neva heard the noise before. When i hear it the doesn't start it sounds like the teeth are not catching fully. All bolts are tight on the starter tho.
Old 08-31-2008, 05:16 PM

Update

I've made my own ground kit and installed it.My new battery is totally dead. I have to wait till tomorrow to get another one. If this doesn't fix my problem what else can I try?
Old 09-02-2008, 08:00 PM

the first question that should be asked is "Does your car have a check engine light", if it does go and get that read and then come back and tell us the results because the cause of the problem could be in the check engine light.
Old 09-05-2008, 10:04 AM

I've installed my second alternator and 3rd battery. The other alternator was tested bad when in returned it. I only started my car and drove to the corner and I started getting the stereo cutting out again. This was kind on a pre-cursor to the car dying on me from the last 2 times. I didn't drive it anymore after that cause I was affraid of it shutting off on me again. I've had the CEL lights checked before and I only got 3 codes for the O2, knock and EGR.
Old 09-06-2008, 01:58 AM

does car turn on and then die or doesnt want to turn on completely?
Old 09-07-2008, 09:46 AM

It starts then after a while the battery and brake lights start to flash and then it starts boggin out like its not getting gas. After it stops the lights and radio will still work but when I go to start it everything shuts off and it won't start.
I have not really driven it yet because the radio is still cutting out. I checked the voltage on the battery and its good, both with the car on and off. My positive probe on my multineter broke when I went to check the alternator so I couldn't check it.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:02 AM

Got another alternator and it still shuts off. I'm sure its the alternator because when I remove the cables from the battery while the car is running it shuts off.
Could I possibly have a short being caused by the radio? The speakers cut in and out while the radio is on when the car is running.
Old 09-14-2008, 07:15 PM

I GIVE UP!!

I can't take it anymore. I've exhausted every known option to get rid of this problem. I'm gonna have to take it to a shop to figure out what's wrong with this car. Sometime this week I'll drop it off. I will let everyone know what I find out.
Old 10-02-2008, 08:55 AM

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!!!

I had a broken belt tensioner and that was not tightening the belt enough to power the alternator. I knew they belt tensioner was broken but I never thought it would effect the charging system. I feel like such a for not figuring this out earlier
Thanks to everyone for their input hopefully this would help someone else later.
Old 10-02-2008, 09:29 AM

[QUOTE=LILMAN;6609804]I'm sure its the alternator because when I remove the cables from the battery while the car is running it shuts off.
QUOTE]

I'm not positive on this...but I would not try and troubleshoot my alternator using this method on newer cars with so many electrical components and what not. Sounds like any number of things could possibly short out. But again, I'm not sure about it...but it just doesn't sound right. Glad to hear you got it worked out though.