4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Long lasting repairs (brakes/axles/bearings/suspension)

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 01:37 PM

Long lasting repairs (brakes/axles/bearings/suspension)

I am trying to eliminate some of these problems in my 97 SE. The blue tokico struts with red springs that previous owner put in are out of warranty since i'm not the original buyer. They are riding rough, the car rattles, and is in general uncomfortable. So I am seeking your opinion if you have had any problems with certain brands/set ups and which would make most sense.

1. I can get the same set-up I have now brand new and replace all the mounting hardware as well. I am afraid this would result in the same problem I have now in a few years. I live in CT where winters can put serious stress on an older car like this and ruin the suspension, especially lowered cars.

2. I can get a different brand parts and install those, but lacking experience with those brands I am not sure I want to spend that much $.

3. I can go back to stock to make the car more comfortable as a commuter car and to ralieve stress off the frame and suspension components, making them require less maintenance and last longer.

What do you think would be the better solution to make the car last longer and which brands would be the best in your opinion for the replacement parts:

bearings, axles, struts and springs, strut housings and bearings, rotors and calipers..

Thanks for your help
Old 09-09-2008, 01:42 PM

Well the tokico blues are more then likely the problem friend had those on his prelude then blew less then a year was lowered. I had them in my SHO ( similar in size and weight to a 4th gen v6 4 door sedan) and they were great when i got them ( stock height)but in 2 years or so they went down hill fast.
Old 09-09-2008, 01:47 PM

I do like how the car looks sitting on tokico blues vs. stock height. But I dont know if the horrible performance can be ignored to have that look.

Can I leave these springs in and put stock SE struts on?

Thanks,
Old 09-09-2008, 02:41 PM

If you put stock struts on they will blow. Stock are not designed to sit like that. But you can get better struts and reuse the srpings
Old 09-10-2008, 07:44 AM

what brand struts would you suggest will work well summers and winters here in CT that do not cost a lot... KYB? Tokico adjustables?
Old 09-10-2008, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by MaximA VlaD
what brand struts would you suggest will work well summers and winters here in CT that do not cost a lot... KYB? Tokico adjustables?
My stock suspension was pretty much shot after its first long Vermont winter. I replaced it with Tokico Illuminas (struts and springs). To answer your question, the adjustables were nice for the changing climate - I rode them softer in the winter when everything was frozen and the frost heaves were hellish. I tighted everything down in summer/fall for those nice curvy mountain drives in better conditions.

That would be my recommendation if you don't mind dropping a little more coin. On the other hand, it's still cheaper than an all new stock set-up...
Old 09-10-2008, 10:17 AM

I just put Monroe Quik-strut on. I was pressed for time, found out I need to be in PA this weekend, and really wanted the Tokico HP. Found them on-line for $164 each and my local Checker store listed them at $200, but matched the price. Had them next day and installed in an hour. Very easy just had to reuse the top mylar gasket and strut to knuckle nuts. All else is new. Spring, strut, bearings, boot, bump stop, upper nuts. Seems to ride like stock. Except my left front wheel dosen't bounce down the road (had leaking strut).
Old 09-10-2008, 10:15 PM

What do you think of KYB GR2's... fronts are $90 ea:

http://www.partsamerica.com/productd...ype=49&PTSet=A

I have not heard much about them. How do these compare to the HP blues with progressive springs?

The monroe quick strut costs $255 on partsamerica.com ... crazy. is that the one you got Curt Deiner?

After reading some recent posts in other threads i am leaning toward keeping the progressive red springs but junking the blues and replacing them with something like illuminas. I know for a fact that the guys who did the install did not use boots with bump stops nor the urethane insulators. I am assuming that when properly installed they will last longer. if i understand correctly the illuminas should fit with mustang fronts and miata rear dust boots with bump stops from partsamerica.com?

What brand/setup has lasted the longest without starting to leak/bounce/deteriorate for you guys?

Last edited by MaximA VlaD; 09-10-2008 at 10:17 PM.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by GreenMtnMaxima
My stock suspension was pretty much shot after its first long Vermont winter. I replaced it with Tokico Illuminas (struts and springs). To answer your question, the adjustables were nice for the changing climate - I rode them softer in the winter when everything was frozen and the frost heaves were hellish. I tighted everything down in summer/fall for those nice curvy mountain drives in better conditions.

That would be my recommendation if you don't mind dropping a little more coin. On the other hand, it's still cheaper than an all new stock set-up...
i agree with GreenMtnMaxima, try that out. makes sense to me
my setup is tein h-tech springs and kyb gr2 struts all around. ive had them for 2.5 yrs and so far no problems watsoever **knock on wood**. i live in orange county CA however... so weather isnt really an issue for me.
Old 09-11-2008, 08:54 AM

Thanks a lot for your help guys,

I called Jeff at atomic performance here in CT and he sells tokico parts. He quoted me $629 for the strut/shock/spring illuminas kit. $161 ea front struts, and $68 ea rear struts.

i think it will be ok to keep the progressive springs and put them on illuminas. I am not sure of any wear and tear that could render springs useless except it they crack. Any suggestions what to look for on the springs?

The illuminas kit does not come with bump stops/boots/insulator perch... I will get the mustang and miata boots with stops. Where can I get the insulators/urethane perch??

Also, where is the best place to get strut mounts, bushings, bearings? is moog ok?

http://www2.partstrain.com/store/ind...s&No=30&Npp=15

thanks a lot guys
Old 09-11-2008, 11:53 PM

can anyone direct me where the best place to buy those polyurethane spring isolators is?

partstrain.com has all other hardware it seems, but this..
Old 09-19-2008, 06:40 AM

Just got back 1800 miles on the Quik-Struts and I like them. Remember it comes with new spring, bearings and everything, so not too crazy. Makes install a snap, and you have your old springs to play with. Check Amazon.com Northern Auto Parts has them for $164.
Old 09-19-2008, 07:18 AM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by Curt Deiner
Just got back 1800 miles on the Quik-Struts and I like them. Remember it comes with new spring, bearings and everything, so not too crazy. Makes install a snap, and you have your old springs to play with. Check Amazon.com Northern Auto Parts has them for $164.
not a bad price. I can match that
Old 09-19-2008, 08:43 AM

That's great...sorry what is your store? I'd like to do my rears now...What's your price for the rear Monroe Qwik-Strut?
Old 09-19-2008, 09:19 AM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by Curt Deiner
That's great...sorry what is your store? I'd like to do my rears now...What's your price for the rear Monroe Qwik-Strut?
my store is my email for now.
the rears do not appear to be available yet. only 1 of my suppliers acknowledges the rear quickstrut as a valid part # so far, and they list it as "backordered"