4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Basic Front Strut Brace FSB Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 03:06 AM

Basic Front Strut Brace FSB Question

Alright --this is real basic, but I don't know the answer, and I didn't find it anywhere else, so here it goes.

Is the front strut brace supposed to pull in the two strut wells together, OR to push them apart? Depending on this, I'd be tightening it differently.

Thanks a bunch!
Old 09-23-2008, 03:49 AM
a.k.a. STuNtMAN

just slap the strut bar on and tighten the bolts and take it for a spin
Old 09-23-2008, 04:17 AM

push out
Old 09-23-2008, 05:22 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Neutral

It simply braces them.
Old 09-29-2008, 03:25 AM

Thanks guys!
I installed the Strut Brace this weekend. It's a really easy job - 10-15 mins. Really, once I started to put it together I realized that putting it in neutral position would be the easiest (and probably the only) way to go.

A couple of notes. I bought mine off of ebay. There were two kinds - the difference being in the type of plates that attach to the top of the strut well. One was a full ring (the one I got), the other one was half ring. I am not sure why I got the one that I did -probably thought that more metal means more stability or something. However, now I think that I should have gotten the half-ring type. The thing is that the top of the strut well is NOT completely flat. There are a few ribs that stick out and prevent the plate from making full contact. True, I tightened the bolts a bit more so that the plates bent a bit to make better contact, but if I had gotten the half -ring type I think I would have avoided the problem in the first place. Just a word of warning for everyone else out there who plans to try this.
Old 09-29-2008, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by alex1els
Thanks guys!
I installed the Strut Brace this weekend. It's a really easy job - 10-15 mins. Really, once I started to put it together I realized that putting it in neutral position would be the easiest (and probably the only) way to go.

A couple of notes. I bought mine off of ebay. There were two kinds - the difference being in the type of plates that attach to the top of the strut well. One was a full ring (the one I got), the other one was half ring. I am not sure why I got the one that I did -probably thought that more metal means more stability or something. However, now I think that I should have gotten the half-ring type. The thing is that the top of the strut well is NOT completely flat. There are a few ribs that stick out and prevent the plate from making full contact. True, I tightened the bolts a bit more so that the plates bent a bit to make better contact, but if I had gotten the half -ring type I think I would have avoided the problem in the first place. Just a word of warning for everyone else out there who plans to try this.
I just ordered on of these off ebay, i cant remember but it think it was the full ring type like you got. I will install it when i get it and let everybody know if there are any fitment issues. I am a 5th gen by the way. I figgured you cant really go wrong for $30
Old 09-29-2008, 06:55 AM
Whatchyou say?

The only purpose of a strut bar is to keep the strut(s) from compressing so much under load - when going into a corner for instance.

When you load up the suspension, say you are making a right hand turn / corner, the left strut takes the load and compresses due to cintrifical (? spelling) force and momentum. At the same time, the right strut tends to pull up ... giving less traction (under servere cornering). The strut bar makes the struts more rigid so there is less compression and less pull during cornering. I hope this makes sense ... not sure how else to explain it. Basicly, it frims up the suspension during cornering.
Old 09-30-2008, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by JtzMax
The only purpose of a strut bar is to keep the strut(s) from compressing so much under load - when going into a corner for instance.

When you load up the suspension, say you are making a right hand turn / corner, the left strut takes the load and compresses due to cintrifical (? spelling) force and momentum. At the same time, the right strut tends to pull up ... giving less traction (under servere cornering). The strut bar makes the struts more rigid so there is less compression and less pull during cornering. I hope this makes sense ... not sure how else to explain it. Basicly, it frims up the suspension during cornering.
...understood...