4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

trans prolem

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 08:47 AM

trans prolem

ok i just spent the last 2 hours looking threw the stickies and search function..

96 manual transmisson

my problem is this.....we got a bad coastal storm and pretty much all the streets got flooded. i had to drive in it (going slow as i possibly can while all the "big cars" kept driving by like it was nothing at all) now i drive today and the car shudders/jerks from 1st-3rd. not all the time only when she wants to....but she has been doing it the majority of the time at stoplights after i get the green. but if i shift once she starts jerking/shuddering and keep it under 30mph she is fine. The tranny does not act up at all in 4th or 5th only during accel in 1-3. it is not through the whole power band i notice it acting little over 2000 and the needle is not spiking up or down.

I have been reading about similar problems and symptoms about this but most of the searches have been on the TCU being the problem.
as far as i know the TCU is not on a manual tranny. I have no tranny smarts and have never worked on a tranny besides the axles or adding/removing trans fluid, so if i'm wrong please tell me.

It is still raining, poodles everywhere, so I can't even change or look at the fluid, or let alone get under neither her to see anything.

SO i know that water had to get in somewhere cause she was fine before i had to drive through the water. DOES this mean that i will need to start looking into a tranny rebuild? Or is there something else that can be causing the problem or be adding to it.

any help will be appreciated.

im still searching and reading, and also looking at my FSM to see if it can lead me in the right direction.....BUT honestly I HAVE NO CLUE ON WHATS GOING ON!!!
Old 09-27-2008, 08:50 AM

Coil packs, maf, not tranny bro.
Old 09-27-2008, 07:37 PM
Whatchyou say?

Yea ... MAF problem, not trany.

If water had gotten into the trans, that would mean that the GL-4 in there would be able to come out, right? So think about it, it's not the trans. Good news! Bad news ... you could need a new MAF. Try taking yours off and blowing it out with compressed air. (you can get canned air if you don't have a compressor) Kzoosho is right too ... might be a coil pack. Go to Autozone and let them pull any codes you might have. Just because the CEL isn't on, doesn't mean you will not have codes. My CEL is not on atm, but I know I have a KS code. And a KS to put in too. lol Any takers, my hands are big. lol
Old 09-27-2008, 08:15 PM

just got back from my friends shop, had him tow the car there for me. we checked everything we could think of for any possible water damage. coil packs were checked via a donor car he had, maf was checked (but we didn't think about blowing it out) he put it on the donor car 95 max manual also. No problems there even drove it around. checked the oil, no water.

Preciate the help you guys!!! my bad for just isolating it on the trans and not thinking anything further. Will be at the shop tomorrow to see how she runs and hopefully that will be it. Going to check the CEL to make sure nothing is popping up and after that see how she drives.
Old 01-17-2010, 11:47 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

let us know what happends.