4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Reverse lights keep going out...

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 09:37 PM

Reverse lights keep going out...

So when I bought my 1999CA 5spd Maxima just last June, I noticed a few lights were out: one fog light, one lid-side brake light, and both reverse lights. I replaced all of these bulbs (btw Maxima: easiest car ever to replace bulbs in), and to this day the brake light and fog light still work great. However, both reverse lights worked at first and then went out within a week.

I checked the bulbs and they still look fine, the filament's intact and everything (I haven't tried replacing them because I've been too lazy to go get new bulbs and I don't want to buy new ones just to have them go out in a few days again), and the wiring looks fine as far as I traced it where it left the trunk. I have also not found any fuses labeled for back up lights, so I assume there are none to be bad.

So my questions: Has anyone had a similar problem? Are there any common places for shorts in the wiring? Any other ideas or suggestions?

P.S. Yes I searched and obviously found nothing to suit my inquiry.
Old 09-27-2008, 11:02 PM
No more Maximas...

Never assume about the fuses, there are no unfused electrical circuits in the car.

The reverse lights operate on the 'METER' fuse, 10A in the interior fuse panel. 2nd row, 2nd from the bottom. Of course, so does the gauge cluster.

Did you check the socket to see that it's getting power?
Old 09-27-2008, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by pmohr
Never assume about the fuses, there are no unfused electrical circuits in the car.

The reverse lights operate on the 'METER' fuse, 10A in the interior fuse panel. 2nd row, 2nd from the bottom. Of course, so does the gauge cluster.

Did you check the socket to see that it's getting power?
Aha, well my gauges are fine so that's most likely not it; I can still double-check it.

I have not checked the socket but I just got my multimeter back from a friend and I have time tomorrow so I will do that, thanks!
Old 09-27-2008, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by 99BettySE
So when I bought my 1999CA 5spd Maxima just last June, I noticed a few lights were out: one fog light, one lid-side brake light, and both reverse lights. I replaced all of these bulbs (btw Maxima: easiest car ever to replace bulbs in), and to this day the brake light and fog light still work great. However, both reverse lights worked at first and then went out within a week.

I checked the bulbs and they still look fine, the filament's intact and everything (I haven't tried replacing them because I've been too lazy to go get new bulbs and I don't want to buy new ones just to have them go out in a few days again), and the wiring looks fine as far as I traced it where it left the trunk. I have also not found any fuses labeled for back up lights, so I assume there are none to be bad.

So my questions: Has anyone had a similar problem? Are there any common places for shorts in the wiring? Any other ideas or suggestions?

P.S. Yes I searched and obviously found nothing to suit my inquiry.
If you're pretty good at soldering you need to build the socket contact back up,... it's worn down too low to contact the new bulb! I've seen this in my 22 yr old nissan pick up front signal lights. Or find a matching socket from a 4th gen Maxima, other Nissans or some other type of car and splice it in place of those highly worn sockets.
Old 09-28-2008, 09:08 AM
Whatchyou say?

Originally Posted by CMax03
If you're pretty good at soldering you need to build the socket contact back up,... it's worn down too low to contact the new bulb! I've seen this in my 22 yr old nissan pick up front signal lights. Or find a matching socket from a 4th gen Maxima, other Nissans or some other type of car and splice it in place of those highly worn sockets.
Not so fast there Tanto. lol I don't think that is it. A few things to do to test this ....

Check for continuity (voltage) with the key on, car off, trans in R. If you get power, then it's possible that Cmax is right. If no power, next thing to check is the R / N switch on the trans. Check the connector (atop the starter, you'll see the wires) and then the switch its self, in the trans. That wire hangs kinda low and if you have run over something and snagged it, it might have ruined it.
Old 09-28-2008, 06:58 PM

I didn't get any voltage at the socket. I was afraid it might be a reverse switch or something of that sort. Are they difficult to change? I have a feeling it'll be more trouble than it's worth it to me for reverse lights.

I'll be sure to check it next time I get a chance.
Old 09-28-2008, 07:15 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by 99BettySE
I didn't get any voltage at the socket. I was afraid it might be a reverse switch or something of that sort. Are they difficult to change? I have a feeling it'll be more trouble than it's worth it to me for reverse lights.

I'll be sure to check it next time I get a chance.
The reverse/neutral switch isn't hard to change, but you'll have to refill the trans afterwards. Likely it's just fine. Check the continuity on the appropriate terminals while in reverse (FSM EL section shows this).
Old 09-28-2008, 11:35 PM

You wrote that the bulbs worked for about a week then were out of commission not working, that didn't sound to much like a switch problem...anyhow good luck with your find!