4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Warpspeed Y-Pipe Install (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 09:28 AM
Banned

great write up. goin 2 install mine now
Old 07-18-2011, 08:19 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by QNO_A32
I installed the Warpspeed Y-Pipe today in my driveway. It is a nice piece and im happy with it. It came with all hardware that you need, and even comes with a nice hanger as well. Took me about 1 hour using hand tools.

Things you will need:
floor jack
jackstands
1/2" ratchet
14mm deep impact socket
14mm shallow impact socket
12mm impact socket
22mm wrench
penetrating oil
1/2" swivel
1/2" impact extention

here is the hanger that came with the y pipe it uses factory mounting points and works very well. it also came with two new cat to y pipe bolts and nuts and gasket.

here is where the rear downpipe meets the manifold. take out the O2 sensor to give a little more room. the swivel must be used back here at least on two of these nuts. i used the short socket for one and the long one for the other.

Theres no need to show the front it looks just like the rear but is easier to do. same thing...remove 02 sensor and loosen the 3 nuts. Once you take both O2 sensors out and the 6 nuts for the headers you just have to undo the cat to y pipe bolts. my exhaust is new so this wasnt a problem for me but others might have trouble with rust. After everything is unbolted there are still two 12mm bolts holding the y pipe up...remove these and drop the pipe out.

Putting the aftermarket pipe is much easier you have more room to work with. install the crush gaskets and get the downpipes on the studs and hand tighten all 6 nuts. put the new gasket for the cat and hand tighted the two bolts. than install the new hanger and tighten it down. tighten down the 6 nuts but dont crank them down or they will snap. than tighten the y pipe to the cat and you done. start it up and check for leaks.

im ok with the way mine sounds i have a 2.5" test pipe and a 2.5" crush bent cat back to a 5.5 gen muffler. the added power is nice too. thanks for reading and im sure i forgot something but i hope some people will chime in. THANKS

great write up. What about the front o2 sensors? without the two front cats to take care of the exhaust they are going to be off the charts and will set off the CEL won't they?

Last edited by maxnoob; 07-18-2011 at 08:38 AM.
Old 07-18-2011, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by maxnoob
great write up. What about the front o2 sensors? without the two front cats to take care of the exhaust they are going to be off the charts and will set off the CEL won't they?
The front sensors monitor engine efficiency (how well the fuel is being spent, allowing the computer to adjust the fuel mix), the rear sensor monitors catalyst efficiency IIRC (shouldn't be a problem unless you have an exhaust leak)

Last edited by BenL; 07-18-2011 at 10:18 AM.
Old 07-18-2011, 11:48 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by BenL
The front sensors monitor engine efficiency (how well the fuel is being spent, allowing the computer to adjust the fuel mix), the rear sensor monitors catalyst efficiency IIRC (shouldn't be a problem unless you have an exhaust leak)
I understand how they work and what they do, I'm a parts manager at a Mazda store, but, if the cats are no longer there then the sensor will not have anything to measure and they will become less efficient right? And in turn that can push them out of range. On this car does it create problem passing an emissions test?
Old 07-18-2011, 12:08 PM
No more Maximas...

Did you really have to quote an entire post full of pictures just to ask that question? That's just cluttering up the page even more.

Why would the two upstream sensors be 'off the charts'? They're still reading the exact same thing they did from the factory, the exhaust gas coming out of the manifold. I'm confused about your implications about upstream O2 sensors and catalytic converters, two entirely separate systems.

I understand how they work and what they do, I'm a parts manager at a Mazda store, but, if the cats are no longer there then the sensor will not have anything to measure and they will become less efficient right? And in turn that can push them out of range. On this car does it create problem passing an emissions test?
If you understand how they work and what they do, then why the question? As said, the front two just monitor exhaust gas content to adjust fuel trims. They have nothing to do with catalytic converters, short of being a reference point for the downstream sensor(s).

The converter is still there, and the downstream sensor still measures catalyst efficiency. Installing an aftermarket Y has nothing to do with that.
Old 07-18-2011, 01:27 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

[quote=pmohr;8125795]Did you really have to quote an entire post full of pictures just to ask that question? That's just cluttering up the page even more.

Maxnoob:Yes I did. My apology to you for following forum guidelines. Pictures or no pictures.

pmohr:Why would the two upstream sensors be 'off the charts'? They're still reading the exact same thing they did from the factory, the exhaust gas coming out of the manifold. I'm confused about your implications about upstream O2 sensors and catalytic converters, two entirely separate systems.

Maxnoob:Three converters from stock to one converter does not make for exactly the same reading as stock. So, it's a legitimate question. Apparently I have offended you by asking a question that seems to you to be a basic "everybody knows that one" type of question.

pmohr: If you understand how they work and what they do, then why the question? As said, the front two just monitor exhaust gas content to adjust fuel trims. They have nothing to do with catalytic converters, short of being a reference point for the downstream sensor(s).

Maxnoob: And if there are no converters that means that they aren't doing their job then the readings aren't going to be acurate are they? and if the fuel trim isn't being read acurately and that gets to the rear cat and that will affect it's efficiency.

One size does not fit all. The cars I am familiar with don't use this system, thus this question: On this car does it create problem passing an emissions test? You could have just said yes or no and left it at that.

This is my first max and the first time I have considered doing any mods to a car. Thanks for making me feel welcome.

Last edited by maxnoob; 07-18-2011 at 01:29 PM.
Old 07-18-2011, 01:42 PM
No more Maximas...

My apology to you for following forum guidelines. Pictures or no pictures.
Nothing to do with forum guidelines. Common courtesy, making the thread much longer than it needs to be, and making it more difficult looking for replies.

Three converters from stock to one converter does not make for exactly the same reading as stock. So, it's a legitimate question. Apparently I have offended you by asking a question that seems to you to be a basic "everybody knows that one" type of question.
Yes, it makes for exactly the same readings as factory for the upstream sensors. Again, UPSTREAM sensors have NOTHING to do with the converters. They read the exhaust gas coming out of the engine, not from the converters. This is why I'm confused about what you're asking, when you said you know how they work and what they do.

Second, there are two precats that are there for startup emissions, after the car is warmed up they're relatively useless; it's the main converter that does the job.

And if there are no converters that means that they aren't doing their job then the readings aren't going to be acurate are they? and if the fuel trim isn't being read acurately and that gets to the rear cat and that will affect it's efficiency.

One size does not fit all. The cars I am familiar with don't use this system, thus this question: On this car does it create problem passing an emissions test? You could have just said yes or no and left it at that.
What do you mean the 'readings aren't going to be accurate'? The O2 sensor readings will be as accurate as they ever have been, they don't read 'off' just because two precats are gone. Again, the upstream sensors are before the precats.

Yes, one size really does fit all for catalytic converter systems. You have an upstream sensor which is before the converter, and a downstream sensor which is after. This is how it is 99% of the time. Upstream affects fuel trims, downstream monitors catalyst efficiency.

This is my first max and the first time I have considered doing any mods to a car. Thanks for making me feel welcome.
Welcome.
Old 07-28-2011, 10:01 AM

Question??.. I'm installing obx headers/y/catback...I wanted 2 know if eliminating tha cats on tha y will trigger a CEL... Thx in adv
Old 07-28-2011, 10:59 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by MaxSowell
Question??.. I'm installing obx headers/y/catback...I wanted 2 know if eliminating tha cats on tha y will trigger a CEL... Thx in adv

Be careful........by asking that question the king will have you drawn and quartered.
BTW, I asked the same question and the answer is no.

see that!!! no flaming or flogging. simple question, simple answer. Just what a new guy is expecting.

welcome MaxSowell.
Old 07-29-2011, 08:42 PM

In need of help to install an OBX headers. How do I install the front o2 sensor for my 99 maxima.
Old 08-08-2011, 01:39 PM

Warpspeed vs Catman

1. How does one decide between Warpspeed and Catman y pipe if the goal is to be quiet like factory fresh ?

2. I never can seem to find a definitive answer on what affect this will have with passing inspection ? If it has issues when first started.. will it log codes that an odbII sniffer will see ? If so, does that mean one has to clear those codes after the car is warm before taking to the inspection station ?

3. Are the Bosal or Walker oem y pipes complete crap ? They do have the precats so one would presume there won't be inspection issues at all. .. and both are in the $350 range at rockauto anyway.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:03 PM

have any of yall Warpspeed y pipes flex weld let out, im trying to decde on Cattman or Warpspeed which one i should get tht is...?
Old 10-11-2011, 07:48 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by pmohr
That was too cool!! Have not read to the end so I hope I am not waking up a two year old thread. But that was a cool link :-)
Old 10-12-2011, 06:27 AM

will be getting my cattman ypipe soon. im just gonna buy a new cat the save myself the headache of getting those cat bolts off. the ones on my catback side were completely welded together.

im wondering how welded the nuts on the headers will be?
Old 10-12-2011, 08:03 AM

your question is regarding to the nuts on the upstream y-pipe to the header?

Originally Posted by GGENIUS
will be getting my cattman ypipe soon. im just gonna buy a new cat the save myself the headache of getting those cat bolts off. the ones on my catback side were completely welded together.

im wondering how welded the nuts on the headers will be?
Old 10-12-2011, 08:39 AM

its not really a question. just wondering if theyre gonna be as bad as the cat bolts.
Old 10-12-2011, 09:26 AM

just did it. no not as bad. the cat nut is impossible to break loose. worst case is the nut on the ypipe to head will fuse to the stud so you will remove the stud&nut all together. do it slowly so you won't break the stud.

here is the PN for the stud if needed 14064-31U1A for '97 ypipe to header.

its not really a question. just wondering if theyre gonna be as bad as the cat bolts.

Last edited by kel456; 10-12-2011 at 12:26 PM.
Old 10-12-2011, 11:39 AM

my cat bolts were so bad that a socket just crumbled the head of the bolt/nut.
Old 10-12-2011, 12:27 PM

just clarified my post above for future readers.

yep, mine too bolt&nut are fused to the flange. i am looking a good tool to cut off the bolt&nut. i think my cat is still good.
Old 10-31-2011, 11:34 AM

I just replaced my stock y-pipe and cat with a warpspeed y-pipe and bosal cat this weekend. The fit was great. I was also able to use the stock hanger. Just bolted it between the y-pipe and the cat. Since I was replacing the y-pipe and the cat I didn't even worry about loosening the bolts holding the stock y-pipe, hanger, and cat together. In hindsight, if you want to use the stock hanger, it would probably be easier to loosen those bolts (mine were pretty corroded) while the pipes are still mounted on the car. I had to drill the nuts out, but it was worth it to be able to use the stock hanger.

Too bad I haven't been able to see the power gains. I'm having some car problems and can't open it up. I was hoping this swap would remedy them, but I still have the problems.
Old 10-31-2011, 11:56 AM

buy the WS ypipe because it is cheapest price in ypipes and if you need one. dyno graph clearly shows hp gain at high rpm. local drive to the supermarket will feel the gain on noise.

Originally Posted by rvskull34
I just replaced my stock y-pipe and cat with a warpspeed y-pipe and bosal cat this weekend. The fit was great. I was also able to use the stock hanger. Just bolted it between the y-pipe and the cat. Since I was replacing the y-pipe and the cat I didn't even worry about loosening the bolts holding the stock y-pipe, hanger, and cat together. In hindsight, if you want to use the stock hanger, it would probably be easier to loosen those bolts (mine were pretty corroded) while the pipes are still mounted on the car. I had to drill the nuts out, but it was worth it to be able to use the stock hanger.

Too bad I haven't been able to see the power gains. I'm having some car problems and can't open it up. I was hoping this swap would remedy them, but I still have the problems.

Last edited by kel456; 10-31-2011 at 07:12 PM.
Old 11-10-2011, 04:59 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

i bought the warpspeed complete system,installation went great, my only issue being an old fuddy duddy is the pacesetter monza catback is louder than I would like it to be...........also the running question on the forum seems to be if the WS y pipe w/o precats will set any codes?.....no codes so if you live in a state that uses only obdII data without visual underneath inspection or tail sniffer tests you will be fine to pass
Old 03-12-2012, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by LoKeyM4A3
The install is not a issue thanks to QNO_A32 and his great pics, I now have a visual and know what to expect... after reading all your post I'm goin for the "Y" pipe before the Catback but I'm curious how this will effect performance and sound. I want the low frequency growl and the hp gain immediatly. Will the "Y" and the high flow cat with the stock catback exhaust give me that? Do I even need the aftermarket Catback for additional hp gain or is it really just for sound and looks. The CM Catback looks almost the same as the stock minus the huge muffler.

Performance noob here, thanks in advance!

Did anyone answer this question? Because I was thinking the same thing.
Old 03-12-2012, 11:42 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by LoKeyM4A3
The install is not a issue thanks to QNO_A32 and his great pics, I now have a visual and know what to expect... after reading all your post I'm goin for the "Y" pipe before the Catback
Good choice..best mod for the money you can do to our cars.

but I'm curious how this will effect performance and sound. I want the low frequency growl and the hp gain immediatly. Will the "Y" and the high flow cat with the stock catback exhaust give me that?
the catback will add to the performance gains....it will help. for sound...a stock muffler does exactly what a stock muffler is supposed to do to stock cars. Make them sound stock. You may notice a slight difference with the two precats gone out of the restrictive stock ypipe but its not going to beat an aftermarket exhaust.

Do I even need the aftermarket Catback for additional hp gain or is it really just for sound and looks. The CM Catback looks almost the same as the stock minus the huge muffler.

Performance noob here, thanks in advance!
It all depends on your other mods. Think of it like this. The engine is like a air compressor/pump. Air is pumped in, then compressed, and then pushed out. The easier you can get air in and the easier you get air out the more power it can make because it can run more efficiently. I know thats real simple but kinda lets you get your head around it when you dont know the intricacy of an engine. The more mods you have done the more an exhaust will help. This is why dragsters and other race cars sometimes run without mufflers or very short exhaust systems. Because its less back pressure (restrictive flow) on the spent exhaust.
Old 03-12-2012, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by sergofast

the catback will add to the performance gains....it will help. for sound...a stock muffler does exactly what a stock muffler is supposed to do to stock cars. Make them sound stock. You may notice a slight difference with the two precats gone out of the restrictive stock ypipe but its not going to beat an aftermarket exhaust.
Thanks, thats what i wanted to know.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:00 PM

Also did anyone do this in PA and pass inspection? It's the visual test that I'm worried with. I'm currently searching for the answer to this question, but figured I'd just ask in this thread and see what happens.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:00 AM

Everything I have read up on with these Warpspeeds and others is usually if you test AFTER reaching op temperatures that you should be ok. Its only when the system is just started up where normally the precats would be doing the work is where it can fail the tests.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Djs Devon
Also did anyone do this in PA and pass inspection? It's the visual test that I'm worried with. I'm currently searching for the answer to this question, but figured I'd just ask in this thread and see what happens.

If your state does VISUAL inspections under your car you will FAIL.

If your state does NOT do visuals, but does the "code scan" or sniffer, you'll be fine.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:14 AM

Just installed mine on my lunch break. Thanks for the install how-to; really helped as i hate looking for the right size socket(s).
Old 10-06-2012, 11:11 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

my cat bolts were so bad that a socket just crumbled the head of the bolt/nut.
This morning I picked up $90 of replacement bolts/studs/gaskets from the dealership since the y-pipe and cat I've ordered will not come with the hardware when it arrives later this week.

After reviewing this thread and thinking maybe I can do the removal and install myself, I just went under the car and looked at the stock parts to see how bad it is. I think I could get the y-pipe out no problem but the cat looks like a disaster. I don't want to risk destroying the rest of the exhaust to save a few bucks, so I'm going to take it to my neighborhood mechanic.

I plan on returning the extra bolts and studs that the mechanic doesn't use but I wanted to have the extras on hand since I've noticed that not all bolts have ended up back on my car after certain jobs have been done.
Old 10-06-2012, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by mikeg75
This morning I picked up $90 of replacement bolts/studs/gaskets from the dealership since the y-pipe and cat I've ordered will not come with the hardware when it arrives later this week.

After reviewing this thread and thinking maybe I can do the removal and install myself, I just went under the car and looked at the stock parts to see how bad it is. I think I could get the y-pipe out no problem but the cat looks like a disaster. I don't want to risk destroying the rest of the exhaust to save a few bucks, so I'm going to take it to my neighborhood mechanic.

I plan on returning the extra bolts and studs that the mechanic doesn't use but I wanted to have the extras on hand since I've noticed that not all bolts have ended up back on my car after certain jobs have been done.
the cat and s pipe bolts and nuts you are def gonna need. the ypipe hardware on mine was pretty good. didnt need any studs or nuts replaced, and i live in NJ where rust is a PROBLEM. but yeah all new gaskets too, but prolly end up returning those header studs and nuts.

for me it was easy tho, because i had recently put a catback on my car. so the rear cat bolts were already grinded out and replaced. so i could remove my entire ypipe with the cat attached, and swap everything to the new ypipe off the car. it makes grinding and breaking the O2 sensors loose so much easier.
Old 11-17-2012, 04:19 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

OK, read the whole thread and still have questions. I'm having a hard time deciding between the Warpspeed Y and the Warpspeed Y with cat. Can anyone detail the differences, without stating the bleeding obvious. Just how is the sound of each, I'm in my 50's and love this 97 Maxima but I don't want to sound like some of these 20 somethings cars. Any input in the difference in performance and sound between the two would be helpful. If I lived where testing is not an issue do I even need the cat. What are the issues not running it if any.

Last edited by usablue53; 11-17-2012 at 04:28 AM.
Old 11-17-2012, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by usablue53
OK, read the whole thread and still have questions. I'm having a hard time deciding between the Warpspeed Y and the Warpspeed Y with cat. Can anyone detail the differences, without stating the bleeding obvious. Just how is the sound of each, I'm in my 50's and love this 97 Maxima but I don't want to sound like some of these 20 somethings cars. Any input in the difference in performance and sound between the two would be helpful. If I lived where testing is not an issue do I even need the cat. What are the issues not running it if any.
Installing an aftermarket y-pipe will give you more HP but the magnaflow HFC that WS sells with their y-pipe will not give you any gains. If your OEM CAT is still functional the only advantage you'll get with this HFC is an easier installation. A few weeks after installing that WS y-pipe with the maganaflow HFC I got code P0420. That magnaflow HFC is made for buicks. To pass inspection I had to remove the magnaflow HFC and reinstall the OEM CAT. I spent hours grinding off the OEM CAT from the OEM Y-pipe then drilling the melted bolts out of the CAT flanges.

If your OEM CAT is still functional then throw it on with the aftermarket y-pipe. If you'd prefer a new CAT then search for one made for your 97 MAX.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:07 AM

Maybe you destroyed your O2 sensor during you're upgrade.....As far as the HFC it's less restrictive because of the larger honycomb....so replace your O2with a new one and you'll be fine......
Old 11-17-2012, 10:54 AM

I tried the easy route first by installing a new aftermarket downstream O2 sensor with the HFC but it gave off the P0420 within a few miles. I even tested all the air/ fuel mixture sensors with nissan datascan and they all passed. I reinstalled the OEM CAT and it hasn't given off the code with neither the new downstream O2 sensor nor the OEM O2 sensor that I threw back on a few months later. That HFC was trash.
Old 11-22-2012, 07:09 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by jholley
Installing an aftermarket y-pipe will give you more HP but the magnaflow HFC that WS sells with their y-pipe will not give you any gains. If your OEM CAT is still functional the only advantage you'll get with this HFC is an easier installation. A few weeks after installing that WS y-pipe with the maganaflow HFC I got code P0420. That magnaflow HFC is made for buicks. To pass inspection I had to remove the magnaflow HFC and reinstall the OEM CAT. I spent hours grinding off the OEM CAT from the OEM Y-pipe then drilling the melted bolts out of the CAT flanges.

If your OEM CAT is still functional then throw it on with the aftermarket y-pipe. If you'd prefer a new CAT then search for one made for your 97 MAX.
Thanks for the reply, I think I may have not fully understood what is going on with the exhaust system. I have not actually been under the car to look at the layout of the pipes. In looking at the pics on here of the old stock pipe and the new warpseed side by side I assumed the big ugly part on the OEM was the CCat conv. and that the warpspeed shown had nothing. Is this not the case, is the Cat then further down the system and the WS Y pipe is installed priot to the OEM Cat. Id the big ugly bit just the pre cats folks are talking about, sorry for my ignorance but I am trying to learn here.

As a side note, I am really a motorcycle guy but I am loving this old Maxima, 211.000 miles and runs like a dream.

Last edited by usablue53; 11-22-2012 at 07:12 AM.
Old 11-22-2012, 07:44 AM

those are pre-cats on the y-pipe and are only effective when the car is cold before the main cat, which yes is further down the line, gets warmed up. After about 15mins, once the main cat is warmed up, the pre-cats are essentially useless and just restrict air flow. That is why aftermarket y-pipes remove them and that is where most of the added power comes from along with smoother transitions in the piping.
Old 09-23-2015, 09:30 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have a 96 Maxima that has been sitting for 8 years. I just got it running, but the exhaust fell apart. It broke off at the flex end of the y pipe. I just order the warpspeed y pipe with a new cat, but I noticed something I might have a problem with. I know this is an old thread, but it has the perfect picture. I do not have two hangers like this picture shows.
Originally Posted by QNO_A32

I have one hanger there, the other side either broke off or rusted off. I don't even know how that section was originally supported. I have a picture of the broken section, but it doesn't show the missing hanger. How can I attach the new hanger when it comes?
Old 09-24-2015, 01:43 PM

I just put in my Warpspeed and I believe that you're talking about the two rubber support that hang down. If you lost one of the rubber hanging supports, just get a new one (I've seen them on amazon) and they bolt into the side of the cavity wall up there. When you get under the car you will see where.

You are talking about the rubber supports though right?

Amazon.com: Bosal 255-623 Exhaust Mount: Automotive Amazon.com: Bosal 255-623 Exhaust Mount: Automotive
Old 09-24-2015, 07:19 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Yes, that is the support I am missing on the one side. I will try to get a picture tomorrow, as pictures are always helpful. I saw what might be a hole for a bolt to go in on the one side, but as it is now, there is only one bolt/stud with one rubber hanger. There is nothing to hang a rubber hanger on the other side right now.

Quick Reply: Warpspeed Y-Pipe Install (pics)