4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Car stalls randomly, bogs down, hesitates

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 08:58 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Car stalls randomly, bogs down, hesitates

When driving, sometimes I get a loss of power and if I don't push on the accelerator right away the car stalls. However, while this is happening the engine shake/rumble for a while then after a few seconds starts to act normal. Also the car has a strong gas and rotten smell when this happens.

I can recreate this problem almost anytime by going WOT on a highway, then when I get off stopping at a stop sign. The car will stall out as soon as it stops moving.

The car will start up just fine, but usually stalls out right away after so I have to keep revving it.

I've replaced everything that popped up on CEL. The only thing I have a CEL for now are for the clogged EGR tube but I don't believe that would cause my problems.

Fuel filter was replaced, replaced leaking rubber fuel lines. Also the TB was cleaned out. My mechanic thinks it might be the fuel pressure regulator as no other codes are being thrown and I used to have hard starting problems.

I appreciate any suggestions you guys have.
Old 10-05-2008, 12:33 AM
Whatchyou say?

Well ... to start, your mechanic can test the FPR by hooking up an inline fuel pressure gauge and seeing if it bleeds down. Don't let them tell you that is what it is, see for yourself - an honest person should be happy to explain and show you the problem, just keep that in mind.

As for your EGR being clogged, it can / and often will affect your engine performance.
Note:

Description
EGR Valve = Exhaust Gas Recirculation Valve.
The EGR valve controls formation of noxious emissions.
Rough idle and poor acceleration can be caused by a faulty EGR valve.
Guide Review - EGR Valve

from this site! Simple google search and it was the first link. http://autorepair.about.com/od/gloss..._egr-valve.htm

Clean the EGR (and in doing so, understand how it works and why it's needed). That is the cause of your rotten smell and horible WOT performance. Hope this helps ...
Old 10-05-2008, 05:50 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

My vote goes to the FPR as well.
Old 10-05-2008, 07:38 AM
Whatchyou say?

It may be the FPR, but if you clean your EGR and it stops doing what it's doing, you don't spend anymore money with the mechanic. If the problem continues, then yes by all means check the FPR. Since you have a code for EGR now though, and it's not that difficult to clean the tube (and it's basicly free), why not start there?
Old 10-05-2008, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
My vote goes to the FPR as well.
Old 10-05-2008, 09:56 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Thanks for the suggestions!

I borrowed a gauge from a friend and tested the pressure of the fuel line. Seems like its not holding pressure so going to change the FPR, mechanic has a scrapped VQ in the back so he is going to pull the part off and change the regulator this week for me. In fact, most of my replacement parts have been free thanks to that scraped engine

I also tried cleaning the EGR tube with compressed air but couldn't clear it out. Will have to try again another day. However, I noticed though that some of the tube looked a bit damaged (a little metal missing on the side) like it got hit or something or just rusted off. I'm worried if I clean it with something abrasive the metal wall might crack. Do they sell the tube separately?