4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Lighting/electric problem... tailights and parking lights ****ted out on me today..

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2001, 09:04 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Lighting/electric problem... tailights and parking lights ****ted out on me today..

I was at work since 2, just came back some 1.5 hours ago. I was driving back home and got pulled over, turns out my tailights weren't working. Cop was cool though and let me go, just told me to turn on my hazard lights and drive that way in the slower lane. My tailights don't turn on, unless I hit the brakes. Also, I came around the front and saw that my parking lights were ****ed up too and didn't work. It was already dark and I checked the fuse to the tails but it looked fine, although i'm not 100% sure (it was dark). Yesturday I was screwing with my parking lights and tried to fit an amber bulb in just one of them, but ended up putting the stock one back in and they all worked fine. But today the parking/tail lights won't work. Where should I look, I'm a dummy when it comes to electric stuff, the fuse looked ok, what else can cause both the tails and the parking lights to fail at the same time? I know i couldn't blow all bulbs at the same time. It's gotta be the fuse though, right? Also, where is the fuse for the parking lights?

thanks.
Old 11-11-2001, 10:48 PM

If your guages ever won't light, then neither will the tails.

Ant that is the fuse labeled INT ILL on the inside.
Old 11-12-2001, 02:21 AM

check under your hood where all the fuses are cuz mine happen to me but the cop gave me a ticket.. bastard. anywayz i was mad and told him that he was raciest ... hehe but yeah did u mess with the wiring cuz that's what happen to me when i messed with it
Old 11-12-2001, 10:29 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by asianpr3082
check under your hood where all the fuses are cuz mine happen to me but the cop gave me a ticket.. bastard. anywayz i was mad and told him that he was raciest ... hehe but yeah did u mess with the wiring cuz that's what happen to me when i messed with it
The fuses for the taillights aren't under the hood. Those fuses are in the fuse panel next to the steering wheel.

You should be able to look at the fuse and see if it's blown, or you could just stick a new one in there to make sure.
Old 11-13-2001, 11:18 AM

ok, i just checked again, my tail light fuse is blown. However, I can't seem to locate the parking light fuse.. anyone have any idea on where it is?

also

(silly question) but where can I buy some replacement fuses? autozone/pepboys and such have them right? (never needed any, but the replacements my dad used for his car are too big).

thanks
Old 11-13-2001, 11:22 AM
Administrator

believe it or not.. if your L. Tail Light fuse is out.. your parking lights will not work. replace that fuse and then that should fix your problem.

when you do go to the store to purchase the fuse.. buy the fuse for 1 step higher also.. that way if it keeps blowing you can go one step higher no problems. I have 1 step higher fuse becasue when i rewired my corners the L. Tail Light fuse blew and i had to put a higher fuse in to keep it from constantly blowing..

Yes Autozone, Pepboys should have it.. just grab a fuse that doesn't affect anything and take it in the store with you..
Old 11-13-2001, 11:26 AM

Originally posted by SprintMax
believe it or not.. if your L. Tail Light fuse is out.. your parking lights will not work. replace that fuse and then that should fix your problem.

when you do go to the store to purchase the fuse.. buy the fuse for 1 step higher.. that way if it keeps blowing you can go one step higher no problems. I have 1 step higher fuse becasue when i rewired my corners the L. Tail Light fuse blew and i had to put a higher fuse in to keep it from constantly blowing..

Yes Autozone, Pepboys should have it.. just grab a fuse that doesn't affect anything and take it in the store with you..

wow, thanks Sprint!
I thought I was crazy for thinking they are linked, but I was coming from work and they both seemed to go out simoltaneously. So if the fuse is 7.5, I can go to 10? thanks, i'm off to the store.
Old 11-13-2001, 11:52 AM
Administrator

yes..

but i would run the 7.5 again.. and have the 10 handy.. so if the 7.5 blows.. drop the 10 in there.. usually the 7.5 blowing constantly would indicate some form of electrical shortage or over voltage not recommened for the car's electrical system.. lot of people would not recommend you going to 10. They would recommend you investigate futher or have an electricial look at it. Since i futz around with my car electrical system so much and play with wires in my ECU i just dropped in the 10..

Originally posted by NYCe MaXiMa

wow, thanks Sprint!
I thought I was crazy for thinking they are linked, but I was coming from work and they both seemed to go out simoltaneously. So if the fuse is 7.5, I can go to 10? thanks, i'm off to the store.
Old 11-13-2001, 01:47 PM

ok, i just checked again, my tail light fuse is blown. However, I can't seem to locate the parking light fuse.. anyone have any idea on where it is?

also

(silly question) but where can I buy some replacement fuses? autozone/pepboys and such have them right? (never needed any, but the replacements my dad used for his car are too big).

thanks
Your fuse panel usually has some spare fuses in it. Also, get a random assortment of fuses. You'll probably need one again sometime.
Old 11-13-2001, 02:32 PM

thanks guys, I threw a 10 in there and both the tails and the parking lights came on
It actually doesn't blow constantly, I was messing around with the bulbs in the parking lights and that might have caused a short or something, so i blew the fuse. But besides that, it was all good.
Old 11-13-2001, 02:35 PM

I'm sure there are some fuses for your tail light and your corners under the hood i know there are some under the dash too but i ended up changing the one under the hood .... just check it out doesnt hurt to check
Old 11-13-2001, 04:40 PM
Administrator

thanks guys, I threw a 10 in there and both the tails and the parking lights came on
It actually doesn't blow constantly, I was messing around with the bulbs in the parking lights and that might have caused a short or something, so i blew the fuse. But besides that, it was all good.
congrats..
Old 11-13-2001, 10:13 PM

Quick question NYCE Max, do you have an aftermarket cd player in your vehicle?
Old 05-31-2002, 07:32 AM
Ginuwin3112

hey Sprintmax...same thing happend to me when i rewired my parking lights...turn them on and parking/tail lights do not work..i was wondering where exactly was the fuse for the taillight in the engine bay was?? and the one under the dash? (fuse number)thanx

Old 05-31-2002, 08:10 AM

Did you rewire your corners? The corners and tail lights are all on the same fuse/circuit. BTW, I wrote a little article in the FAQ above regarding the "tail" fuse and corners.
Old 05-31-2002, 09:16 AM

sorry had a hard time following, what exactly caused your fuse to blow then?

and on topic but off, can one physically see damage to harnesses and such if youre running a bulb with too high wattage? dont think i am but im paranoid
Old 09-21-2011, 11:04 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

same issue but different

this kinda weird but my parking lights come on when i hit the my brake, does anyone know what would cause this???? need help badly, ty
Old 09-21-2011, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by koolrunnins
this kinda weird but my parking lights come on when i hit the my brake, does anyone know what would cause this???? need help badly, ty
you bumped a 10 year old thread?!?!?!?!!?!??

thats what the noob section is for! and yes i have an answer but not until you post it in the noob section!