4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

So...Is my diff/trans fubared? Clunking from right side under certain condtions.

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 08:14 AM

So...Is my diff/trans fubared? Clunking from right side under certain condtions.

What's up guys. Checking in with a problem I've been having.

My Maxima has 185xxx miles, and a 5MT with probably ~80xxx miles. I am getting a pretty severe clunking coming from the front, passenger side of my car, and it is very evident when making left hand turns (at speed or from a stop), and ONLY when there is throttle input in gear. I have replicated the same situations that made the car clunk while in gear, while coasting in neutral in an effot to eliminate the suspension components from being the culprit. There's also a decent vibration while accelerating.

Not more than six months and 10000 miles ago, I replaced my passenger side axle, and put some fresh redline MT-90 in the trans. The car has seen one auto-x since. The car sees WOT on a daily basis, but I hardly ever bang gears or chirp. I don't see much, if at all, play in the wheel, so I don't believe it to be a wheel bearing problem. I haven't checked the gear oil level since filling it up after I replaced the axle, and don't really have a way to check at the moment. Would a low gear oil level create the clunking under those specific driving conditions ONLY?

The axle is a reman'd autozone axle, lifetime warrantee. I took a look without the wheel on and nothing was visibly loose. I can't imagine the axle already failed, and it's also NOT a clicking noise, and also doesn't make the sound when turning RIGHT. The clunking only happens when turning left with throttle input (ie, most of the weight on the right side of the car), and I have a vibration while accelerating in a straight line.

Thanks in advance.

Although I "ruled" out suspension components, I recognize the possibility of throttle input placing more stress on the components, so give me any input you can think of.

and just for laughs...

It's hard going from an s13 on coilovers, to a 4G on a spring/shock setup. Body roll ftw.

Last edited by BigLou93SE; 11-10-2008 at 08:22 AM.
Old 11-10-2008, 08:26 AM
this place is dead

Originally Posted by BigLou93SE
What's up guys. Checking in with a problem I've been having.

My Maxima has 185xxx miles, and a 5MT with probably ~80xxx miles. I am getting a pretty severe clunking coming from the front, passenger side of my car, and it is very evident when making left hand turns (at speed or from a stop), and ONLY when there is throttle input in gear. I have replicated the same situations that made the car clunk while in gear, while coasting in neutral in an effot to eliminate the suspension components from being the culprit. There's also a decent vibration while accelerating.

Not more than six months and 10000 miles ago, I replaced my passenger side axle, and put some fresh redline MT-90 in the trans. The car has seen one auto-x since. The car sees WOT on a daily basis, but I hardly ever bang gears or chirp. I don't see much, if at all, play in the wheel, so I don't believe it to be a wheel bearing problem. I haven't checked the gear oil level since filling it up after I replaced the axle, and don't really have a way to check at the moment. Would a low gear oil level create the clunking under those specific driving conditions ONLY?

The axle is a reman'd autozone axle, lifetime warrantee. I took a look without the wheel on and nothing was visibly loose. I can't imagine the axle already failed, and it's also NOT a clicking noise, and also doesn't make the sound when turning RIGHT. The clunking only happens when turning left with throttle input (ie, most of the weight on the right side of the car), and I have a vibration while accelerating in a straight line.

Thanks in advance.

Although I "ruled" out suspension components, I recognize the possibility of throttle input placing more stress on the components, so give me any input you can think of.

and just for laughs...

It's hard going from an s13 on coilovers, to a 4G on a spring/shock setup. Body roll ftw.
you sure it isn't bushings? Or even inner or outer tie rods?

I haven't had an axle bearing fail in my max, but in my old car that sounded like more of a banging noise, not a clunking one.
Old 11-10-2008, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by 97SEdriver
you sure it isn't bushings? Or even inner or outer tie rods?

I haven't had an axle bearing fail in my max, but in my old car that sounded like more of a banging noise, not a clunking one.
It could very well be...I've never replaced the bushings or tie rods in the car ever, and I'm pretty certain that they weren't replaced before I got the car at 130xxx miles.

The only thing that's throwing me off on diagnosing this (besides college + apartment complex restrictions) is the fact that it is dependent on throttle input, which seems that it would be indicative of an axle, or something drivetrain related.

When I head out next, I'm going to try out some more testing of the problem without throttle input, and see if I can't get the clunking/banging.

The sound is a combination of a clunking/banging/"rolling" noise. Maybe I'll get another axle from autozone to throw in (since it is lifetime guaranteed) and it should only take an hour or so.

Wouldn't a failing tie rod/bushing create a noise condition unchanged with throttle input?
Old 11-10-2008, 01:27 PM
Grumpy old guy

We were getting a similar sound out of Mastercaters car and it was loose strut bolts at the spindle.
Old 11-10-2008, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Nozama
We were getting a similar sound out of Mastercaters car and it was loose strut bolts at the spindle.
That's actually a really good suggestion...I remember those bolts being pretty haggard the last time I had taken them out. I'll check them out.
Old 11-10-2008, 02:34 PM

When the passenger side control arm failed in my car, it would make noises when making left turn under acceleration. It sounded more like somebody repeatedly kicking one of those big brown uhaul boxes. Here is a short clip of the play/loosenes in the arm.

http://s78.photobucket.com/albums/j9...t=S5007685.flv

Edit: here's another link

http://s78.photobucket.com/albums/j9...t=S5007700.flv

Last edited by nhaven; 11-11-2008 at 08:37 AM.
Old 12-30-2008, 08:10 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hi
Did you find out what the problem is? I have the exact same problem. I thought I had a bad bearing so I replaced it. It was bad but didn't solve the problem. I live in Mass and its cold out now. I notice that when I drive it in the morning the sound is pretty loud but as I drive it more the sound quiets down. I was thinking maybe an axle?? I hope its not the transmission.

I have to check my LCA now. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 12-30-2008, 08:20 PM
Whatchyou say?

It might be a loose strut or a blown strut as well. I wouldn't think diff at all ... a bad diff will make a growling / moaning noise. (and it's just bad bearing usually at that) Does your stearing feel 'normal'? Can you duplicate the sound without the car moving? Bouncing it or rocking the stearing wheel, or even the wheel it's self (grab it at 12 / 6 and see if you have in / out play and also at 9 / 3 and see if you have excessive side to side play.) That will tell you how the tie rod ends are (do a degree anyway). You'll need the car lifted to see if there excess play in the wheel. Hope some of this might help!

Cheers!

Last edited by JtzMax; 12-30-2008 at 08:24 PM.
Old 12-30-2008, 08:54 PM
Maintenance Monster

If you're worried about the diff/trans, just drain the oil and check for metal flakes, and/or see if there is play in the diff.

If you have the axle out it's even easier to check for play if you insert a clean pry bar and try to wiggle it. The axle doesn't fit perfectly rigid into the diff so it's easier to see that tiny bit of play with the axle out of the way.

As for finding the clunk if it's not in the trans, good luck. There are numerous possible sources. If you suspect loose bushings, suspension, or steering components, I'd take it to a good alignment shop for better diagnosis.
Old 12-31-2008, 02:31 PM

wow, this thread came back!

Well, I first ordered new hardware for the strut-knuckle. That didn't fix the problem although I feel much better about the hardware in there.

I went to do the axle on Sunday, and ended up stopping and putting it all back together. (Don't even ask. Axle replacement - Not hard. My situation on Sunday - impossible. I've done axles a couple of times before then.)

When having the pass. side wheel off, I noticed my ball joint was completely fubar'd. I had new tires put on Monday, along with a new ball joint, wheel balance, and alignment, and the car is obviously driving better.

What I believe I was hearing before was a combination of a very, very worn ball joint, as well as a less-than-perfect axle. Now that I don't have any noise coming from the ball joint, I can hear the axle clicking clear as day. I'll need to do that at some point, but aren't going to worry about it until spring or so. I'll just drive easier than I have been.
Old 12-31-2008, 03:42 PM

It's [robably your ball joint mine is bad and I checked everything: strutsare tight, I just changed the wheel bearing, and everything is torqued to spec, but I have a bad ball joint and it makes that "clunk-clunk" sound, especially when someone is riding shotgun. The sound is your ball joint. Very nice.
Old 03-09-2009, 01:44 PM

well...my trans blew last night 30 miles outside of Rochester, NY on my way back to college.

Nothing feels better than a trans started to lock up at 85 mph...ha

part out coming soon
Old 03-09-2009, 02:24 PM
SLOW

what specifically happened when the trans failed on you? what noises, sensations? were you just cruising? did the case get cracked and all the fluid leak out, etc?
Old 03-09-2009, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Nealoc187
what specifically happened when the trans failed on you? what noises, sensations? were you just cruising? did the case get cracked and all the fluid leak out, etc?
cruising at 85 mph 5th gear...it felt like I started losing spark for a moment (which dropped my speed down about 10 mph each time, pretty sudden and violent). While this happened, it almost sounded like a "ripping" noise, although it was probably grinding at high speed with the road noise and radio drowning it out. It happened twice intermittently by the time I was able to get in the right lane, where it started "catching" a lot worse. When I parked, I tried putting it in 1st, and the car wouldn't move, but stalled when I let off of the clutch. I noticed a small leak (that I mistook for power steering fluid initially). It apparently started leaking really badly and ran at least very low without me knowing (I was just cruising for 4.5 hours at the point it failed). There was still some trans fluid spots on the ground in my apartment complex this afternoon, so apparently there's still some in there.

What's weird though is I just started the car up to try and move it to not take up so many parking spots in my apartment complex, and it moved under it's own weight in 1st and reverse. It clunked around violently occasionally while moving slow...but it did move.
Old 03-09-2009, 07:37 PM
No more Maximas...

cruising at 85 mph 5th gear...it felt like I started losing spark for a moment (which dropped my speed down about 10 mph each time, pretty sudden and violent). While this happened, it almost sounded like a "ripping" noise, although it was probably grinding at high speed with the road noise and radio drowning it out. It happened twice intermittently by the time I was able to get in the right lane, where it started "catching" a lot worse. When I parked, I tried putting it in 1st, and the car wouldn't move, but stalled when I let off of the clutch. I noticed a small leak (that I mistook for power steering fluid initially). It apparently started leaking really badly and ran at least very low without me knowing (I was just cruising for 4.5 hours at the point it failed). There was still some trans fluid spots on the ground in my apartment complex this afternoon, so apparently there's still some in there.

What's weird though is I just started the car up to try and move it to not take up so many parking spots in my apartment complex, and it moved under it's own weight in 1st and reverse. It clunked around violently occasionally while moving slow...but it did move.
In for the carnage pics
Old 03-10-2009, 03:02 AM
Maintenance Monster

You have shattered gear teeth and they're blocking the other gears from rotating.
Old 03-10-2009, 04:24 AM
Whatchyou say?

Yup .... Pmohr, got that pix of the shattered IPS? I think it was Merlin's 5spd.

Hate to hear of this happening. Had you noticed it leaking, leaving gear oil spots prior to any of this? Any odd noises any other times? I say tear it down at least (if nothing else, for the pix! lol) and see if it wasn't maybe that remanned axle from the Zone? If you can find that is the cause, they'll have to buy you a trans. It's not likely, but hey ... stranger things have happened right?~?
Old 03-10-2009, 07:32 AM

Ouch! Same story on mine... clunking noises while turning right and accelerating. Sometimes it's there sometimes it's not. I jacked my car up and took a look and it's the axle/tranny. The Axle no longer sits tight in the transmission and can be pulled out w/o too much force. I'm thinking that loud clicking noise is a result of a bad IPS bearing which results in a loose axle which is identified by dripping gear oil from that location.

I'm just pretty much waiting for warmer weather to swap out my tranny that I bought from an org member. It'd better be in perfect working condition like he said or Imma fly to Cali myself to talk to em.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by pmohr
In for the carnage pics
I'll do what I can...I always love tearing down failed components, but I'll be concentrating on parting out the car for the time being before my apartment complex complains about a junk car sitting around.

Originally Posted by dgeesaman
You have shattered gear teeth and they're blocking the other gears from rotating.
VICTORY!!! that sounds about right. Kind of nerve racking when it happens at that speed.

Originally Posted by JtzMax
Yup .... Pmohr, got that pix of the shattered IPS? I think it was Merlin's 5spd.

Hate to hear of this happening. Had you noticed it leaking, leaving gear oil spots prior to any of this? Any odd noises any other times? I say tear it down at least (if nothing else, for the pix! lol) and see if it wasn't maybe that remanned axle from the Zone? If you can find that is the cause, they'll have to buy you a trans. It's not likely, but hey ... stranger things have happened right?~?
I noticed a leak last week which was my spring break, but I initially made the mistake of thinking it was power steering fluid. It wasn't until I was in my car and leaving to drive 350 miles back up to college that I noticed a slightly larger leak, one that I could get enough fluid on my fingers and take a good sniff that I realized it was gear oil. It was a stupid decision, but I figured I really needed to make it back to school, and the car had just made it back and forth to Philly two days earlier, so I thought I could make it happen. I was almost right...it let go 30 miles away from rochester, ny, after already driving for 4+ hours and 320 miles or so.

I guess it might have been due to that axle...but I have no idea how I could prove it. At this point, I'm going to need to concentrate on getting as much money out of the car in the form of a part out before the salvage company comes and gets it.

Originally Posted by 1chewabacha1
Ouch! Same story on mine... clunking noises while turning right and accelerating. Sometimes it's there sometimes it's not. I jacked my car up and took a look and it's the axle/tranny. The Axle no longer sits tight in the transmission and can be pulled out w/o too much force. I'm thinking that loud clicking noise is a result of a bad IPS bearing which results in a loose axle which is identified by dripping gear oil from that location.

I'm just pretty much waiting for warmer weather to swap out my tranny that I bought from an org member. It'd better be in perfect working condition like he said or Imma fly to Cali myself to talk to em.
Sounds exactly like what my problem ended up being. Be careful with it and obviously make sure that there's some fluid in there (unlike me).

Good luck with the new trans!

By the way, my trans was actually replaced when I first purchased the car about 5 years ago, with one that supposedly had 40k miles on it. I've since put 60k on the car, so if the trans was actually that low miles, the trans blew at 100k.

And for those who are wondering why I don't fix the car:

Front lower rad support is rotting out, the car's rusting almost everywhere (fxcking rochester winters), power steering and/or alternator will need to be replaced (bearing whine on one or both of those), and the list goes on and on. The sad part about it is that I only needed the car to hang on for another 4 weeks or so, when I was planning on driving my car back home and taking my 240sx back up to school (after I put some work into it). I was going to part out the car actually this summer probably.

Timing sucks, but it's time to part ways with the car. I may be the new owner of a 97 GLE this weekend if my parents really don't want me taking my s13 back up to school.
Old 03-10-2009, 12:22 PM
Whatchyou say?

Originally Posted by 1chewabacha1

A bad IPS bearing will cause fluid to leak into the bell housing, onto the clutch and then the car doesn't go vroom vroom any more. lol Bad diff bearings will alow the diff to slide side to side and thus 'slap' the axles back and forth (and cause them to be loose like what you have). You might also check the carrier bearing for the pass side axle ... they have been known to break and that will allow slop in the axle as well. Once the diff bearings get bad enough, they too will leak at the seals as well as give you that wonderfull, 'am I rolling on rain grooves in the road?' noise. It's a crunching, humming, you know it's not right sound.

G'luck with the swap out on the trans .... I'm sure it'll go just fine.

edit: Also ... Big Lou, wonder if your trans going bad has anything to do with all the downed cones in your sig pic? LOL j/k
Old 03-10-2009, 01:03 PM

wow, what is up with maxima.org and the failure at multiquoting? I've noticed this issue before. I replied to everyone at once, and now my reply sits above the actual posts I'm replying to? I did reply above before...see post 16 for the rundown

edit: Also ... Big Lou, wonder if your trans going bad has anything to do with all the downed cones in your sig pic? LOL j/k
Lol...those downed cones were there for a reason -- placed there as directional cones. That auto-x course had an intersection in it, I almost got hit while working the course at that corner.

That day I definitely thought I was going to be driving a cone bomber, since I had just done a couple of events in my 240sx with Stance GR+ coilovers, and wasn't used to the boat. IIRC, I only hit 1 cone that day...PLEASE BELIEVE ME!!! lol

And in happier news, this is my baby - and why my maxima took daily driver duty for so long.

Not the best pic, but the only thing making keeping me happy with cars at this point!
Old 03-10-2009, 01:18 PM
Whatchyou say?

Just had to razz ya a bit. That's a nice looking 240, almost bought one several years ago, but it didn't feel right - something was up with the one I was looking at. At least you have something to drive then, you're not hoofin it.

I just remembered this:

some time ago, I was watching stand up on tv and the guy was talking about hunting deer. his buddy asked him what he used and the conversation was going around the room when it came to him. everyone else was using a 308 or a 273 and the like ... this guy said he was using a 240. his buddy looked at him, not knowing what calliber that was and asked who made it - the guy responded, Nissan! Moral of this story ... don't be that guy! LOL

Last edited by JtzMax; 03-10-2009 at 01:21 PM.
Old 03-10-2009, 01:22 PM

Just had to razz ya a bit. That's a nice looking 240, almost bought one several years ago, but it didn't feel right - something was up with the one I was looking at. At least you have something to drive then, you're not hoofin it.
Thanks...it's been my project for a couple of years now

I wish i could hoof it for right now...college is too far away from where I live, so now I've missed one of my first classes for the new trimester...

although, it's not so bad, when my roommate is around I get to be chauffeured around in a 374awhp EVO8, lol.

I'll have a set of wheels this coming weekend, then I won't be missing classes left and right.