4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Strut/Spring suggestion?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 07:35 AM

Strut/Spring suggestion?

I've been reading all the stickys and threads, and have probably confused myself even more than when I originally started. Originally, I was going to go with some coilovers. However, I live in Chicago which means crappy weather and road conditions even in the summer! So, I was looking for some suggestions for a combination of springs/struts...I don't want much of an aggressive drop..maybe just an inch. I still want the car to be comfortable, but maybe handle just a little better along with the small drop. Also, my car has about 130k on it now, and I've been reading that I would need to change some mounts, and maybe spacers with all those miles. Any suggestionsand help would be great! Thanks guys..
Old 11-11-2008, 08:24 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Eibachs on Tokico Illumina. Easy riding for long drives, aggressive enough to use in autocross. Mild drop (1.2" supposedly). Heck, I had Sprint springs 2" drop and non-enthusiasts couldn't tell I was lowered. They said it rode normal (not bouncy) and looked normal.
My front mounts ($45/each) went for about 200,000 miles before failing. There's also the strut bearing ($30/each) for the fronts, but for that I just took the bearing apart (made of plastic), cleaned and re-lubed it myself with high-pressure high-temp grease. My rear mounts were fine, never had a problem.

Dr J
Old 11-11-2008, 09:42 AM

Where is the best place to buy from as far as pricing goes?
Old 11-11-2008, 10:18 AM

Eibach springs you can get anywhere. If you're not in a rush, spend some time in the for sale forum. Used springs are ok. If you want new, and don't mind taking a little risk for a good savings, ebay is good. Or you can visit one of our sponsors.

For Tokico Illumina, they do wear out, so I would choose a company who will honor the lifetime warranty with the least bit of hassle. So that rules out getting them used, and also rules out many of the ebay sellers. I bought mine from Stillen during their open house. I would call them and ask for maxima.org discount. Talk to Adam, he takes care of the members here. They are no-hassle exchange when it comes to struts, just send them your old one, they send you new one.

Dr J
Old 11-11-2008, 02:17 PM

If you're more concerned about handling than the drop, you might try what I did. I got a set of KYB AGX's (adjustable off the sale forum for around $100 (used), and used those with the stock springs.

With that setup, some crash bolts, and an aggressive toe setting, I could hang with a mini on the AX course and pass an M3 on a cloverleaf ramp. And mid-corner bumps don't upset the chassis even at interstate speeds.

I like this setup because its really stiff when you turn the shocks up all the way, but you can set them soft (about like stock) for taking the baby home from the hospital. And you don't get into any weird (or dangerous depending on your style) handling quirks that may happen due to screwing with the suspension geometry. I'll get flamed for that SB
Old 11-11-2008, 04:33 PM

Whatever spring you choose to get, just make sure struts are illuminas or kyb agx. I heard great things about the s-tech springs.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:51 PM

h&r are a very soft spring, almost like the stock ride.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:41 PM

i have never felt the H&R on the 4ths, but on the 5ths, its awesome.
Old 11-12-2008, 07:30 AM

We have them all for sale at
http://www.importcarpartsplus.com/maximasuspension.htm
Old 11-12-2008, 08:15 AM

http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...in-s-tech.html
Old 11-12-2008, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Snypa
Whatever spring you choose to get, just make sure struts are illuminas or kyb agx. I heard great things about the s-tech springs.

I have s-tech's. I love the look of them, I think they have a good drop and makes the car look how it should. They aren't so low that you scrape on things though, I haven't really had that problem which says a lot considering a lot of cars that are completely stock can't even get in my driveway.

My only complaint with the S.techs is that even though they are firmer than stock, they aren't firm enough for the amount of drop they give, thus you can bottom out quite easily. The Eibach's have less of a drop and are a bit firmer than S.Techs.
Old 11-12-2008, 11:12 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Originally Posted by 96gxe5spd
I like this setup because its really stiff when you turn the shocks up all the way, but you can set them soft (about like stock) for taking the baby home from the hospital. And you don't get into any weird (or dangerous depending on your style) handling quirks that may happen due to screwing with the suspension geometry. I'll get flamed for that SB
Nothing to flame, you are 100% correct!
Old 11-12-2008, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
Nothing to flame, you are 100% correct!
i was hoping he wasnt correct. I have s-techs waiting to install anytime soon.
Old 11-12-2008, 08:43 PM

My impression is that stechs are too soft... I'm surprised you guys have bottomed out.
Old 11-12-2008, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by ThurzNite
My impression is that stechs are too soft... I'm surprised you guys have bottomed out.

I have bottomed out. In fact it sent my AGX through the hood.
Old 11-12-2008, 10:37 PM

what do you guys think of the tokico illumina kit?? are those springs not as good as the eibach or h&r??
Old 11-12-2008, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by jome80627
what do you guys think of the tokico illumina kit?? are those springs not as good as the eibach or h&r??
Here's my plan, if I had to do it over again.

If I'm on a tight budget:
Stock springs, Tokico Illumina Struts

I want mild upgrade, comfortable touring:
Eibach Springs, Tokico Illumina Struts

I want blend of upgrade and comfort:
Tokico Springs, Tokico Illumina Struts

I want entry-level autocross, willing to give up a little comfort:
Sprint Springs, Tokico Illumina Struts

I want performance:
Ground Control coilover springs, Tokico Illumina Struts

I want pure performance, money not an issue:
Full coilovers with built-in struts

I suspect the Tokico springs and Eibach springs are pretty similar. However Eibachs were tested on stock struts, whereas Tokico springs were tested on Tokico Illumina struts... they were made to be paired together. Go for that combo if you scrape the money up.

Dr J
Old 11-13-2008, 06:26 AM

So your not a fan of s-techs at all.^^
Old 11-13-2008, 07:05 AM

don't mean to threadjack, just don't want to start another unnecessary thread.
what do you guys think about kyb-agx and progress?
Old 11-13-2008, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Snypa
So your not a fan of s-techs at all.^^
There's an older thread that lists it's springrate, and it was soft compared to eibach and another. Which's odd, for a spring that lowers more than Eibachs. Also, look at how they advertise it: "Dress Up Master". The 'S' in S-tech stands for "Stylish". Great for looks, not much for performance. And if you believe "You get what you pay for", those stechs are 'highly affordable', relative. I remember when they first came out, they took a guess at what specs to use, prototyped 2 for some local .org members, who said they were good, and they went with it (I think without revision). Personally I think Tein should stick with their full Coilovers, those are some quality products if you can afford them.

I think it was Cattman that prototyped the Progress springs. They're made for autox. One of our senior auto-x and HPDE members had them and had great things to say about those. I think Progress are probably good springs.

Dr J
Old 11-13-2008, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by J RO 9
I personally don't have anything to say about AGX, no experience w/them, and more people have the Tokico Illuminas. I think it's a cool idea to have the rears adjusting **** easily accessible in the wheel well, where-as the Illuminas u gotta adjust from the strut towers in the trunk, which means u gotta peel back the trunk liner to access them.

I went with Illumina because the adjustability is for rebound and compression. AGX is only for compression. Honestly, since I haven't tried AGX, I couldnt' tell you which is the better of the 2, but I'm very very happy w/Illuminas. I just sold my suspension and the new owner is highly delighted too.

Dr J
Old 11-14-2008, 11:08 AM

I want performance:

I suspect the Tokico springs and Eibach springs are pretty similar. However Eibachs were tested on stock struts, whereas Tokico springs were tested on Tokico Illumina struts... they were made to be paired together. Go for that combo if you scrape the money up.

Dr J
I like this plan, but I might suggest a little rougher budget/hardcore ax setup. This is similar to what my brother runs in his hod-rodded VW scirocco:

Cheap adjustable shocks with ground control coilovers. These are sweet because they are really cheap and you can find any spring rate you like from Eibach and they will fit the coilovers. The downside is that you have to cut the spring perch off your shock, so that's why I would use something pretty inexpensive, since you are essentially destroying the strut. My brother just uses a set stock struts rebuild with really thick shock oil, and the spring/shock combo is well matched. I'd go adjustable just for the additional fine-tuning.

I think my bro uses 450 # in the front and 350# in the back, up from stock progressive spring rates in the 100# ballpark. He just sets the hieght a fraction of an inch lower than stock (to keep the geometry closer to correct under cornering conditions). This is one incredible handling car that takes corners in second gear where others in the class have to slow down into first. Also, I don't think there's any danger of bottoming out since the rubber bumpstops still fit, and of course the massive spring rates.

The downside is that it rides like a go-cart. Expansion joints in bridges give you a good jolt, and a pothole will rattle your brain around in your head. I'd still call it streetable, but really wouldn't recommend it for any extended trips. But it works fine for driving to the track.

Has anyone done something like this on a max, and about how much did it cost? If I get a second daily driver I would like to set mine up this way.
Old 11-14-2008, 12:55 PM

I like this plan, but I might suggest a little rougher budget/hardcore ax setup. This is similar to what my brother runs in his hod-rodded VW scirocco:

Cheap adjustable shocks with ground control coilovers. These are sweet because they are really cheap and you can find any spring rate you like from Eibach and they will fit the coilovers. The downside is that you have to cut the spring perch off your shock, so that's why I would use something pretty inexpensive, since you are essentially destroying the strut. My brother just uses a set stock struts rebuild with really thick shock oil, and the spring/shock combo is well matched. I'd go adjustable just for the additional fine-tuning.

I think my bro uses 450 # in the front and 350# in the back, up from stock progressive spring rates in the 100# ballpark. He just sets the hieght a fraction of an inch lower than stock (to keep the geometry closer to correct under cornering conditions). This is one incredible handling car that takes corners in second gear where others in the class have to slow down into first. Also, I don't think there's any danger of bottoming out since the rubber bumpstops still fit, and of course the massive spring rates.

The downside is that it rides like a go-cart. Expansion joints in bridges give you a good jolt, and a pothole will rattle your brain around in your head. I'd still call it streetable, but really wouldn't recommend it for any extended trips. But it works fine for driving to the track.

Has anyone done something like this on a max, and about how much did it cost? If I get a second daily driver I would like to set mine up this way.
I've seen it done on a 2nd gen Altima. 50# stiffer GC on KYB GR2. Worked great, but not something I'd drive mom with. Like I said, this's for the performance crowd, not somebody who wants a Lincoln Towncar plus ride.

Dr J
Old 11-14-2008, 01:09 PM
Addicted to the Org

Originally Posted by J RO 9
I cannot speak for the agx, but I do have the progress springs paired with the gr-2. the ride feels like stock.
Old 11-14-2008, 01:27 PM

No one that I know of has rebuilt stock struts with thicker oil. We all just go aftermarket.

And as for the spring rates I highly doubt that 450lbs/in is only 30% stiffer than stock springs on a 2000lb VW.

I want performance:

Dr J
Eibachs have higher rates than most springs for the Maxima and are at just the right height. Sprints are too low.

And as for performance, I've got GCs with camber plates and shortened Konis and while I haven't ridden in a maxima with "real" coilovers I don't particularly envy them. Konis > most and maybe all A32 coilover dampers.
Old 11-14-2008, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by MorpheusZero

And as for the spring rates I highly doubt that 450lbs/in is only 30% stiffer than stock springs on a 2000lb VW.
I'm not sure where I said they were 30% stiffer than stock. I said the stock was around 100#, so that's 350% in rear and 450% in front (there's a heavier than stock engine hiding under the hood). Oh yeah, it's 1750 with half tank and driver.

As far as the shocks, he had just replaced the old stock units with some basic gas struts (monroe or something). The old ones were just laying around so he found a rebuild kit and put the thicker fluid in. I'm with you completely, I'd rather go aftermarket, but in his case it was better to rebuild.
Old 11-14-2008, 02:56 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

98 maxima pushing about 99k. Ride recently became very very bouncy (feel like i'm riding in a boat). I'm thinking of getting the Eibach Springs and tokico illumina struts since I'm hearing that these two give a pretty comfortable ride. Will this be very stiff ride or feel like stock.
In addition, "Pro Kit Springs #6334.140 - 95-99 (1.5in Front, 1.3in Rear)"
what does the 1.5in and 1.3 in refer to..the amount of drop?

is there anything else that needs to be replaced besides these two to make my ride feel less like a boat?

as you can tell.....complete noob..any suggestions/comments would be appreciated

thanks in advance
Old 11-14-2008, 03:06 PM

U need struts. Go to autozone.

Originally Posted by wheelson
98 maxima pushing about 99k. Ride recently became very very bouncy (feel like i'm riding in a boat). I'm thinking of getting the Eibach Springs and tokico illumina struts since I'm hearing that these two give a pretty comfortable ride. Will this be very stiff ride or feel like stock.
In addition, "Pro Kit Springs #6334.140 - 95-99 (1.5in Front, 1.3in Rear)"
what does the 1.5in and 1.3 in refer to..the amount of drop?

is there anything else that needs to be replaced besides these two to make my ride feel less like a boat?

as you can tell.....complete noob..any suggestions/comments would be appreciated

thanks in advance
Old 11-14-2008, 03:37 PM

@ some of the info on this thread

H&R is probably ur best bet if DD comfort is ur key. Konis>everything else offered on the A32s as far as struts are concerned. The next best thing would be Illumina.

eibachs are a little harsh, they handle great thou, if u are biased towards performance get the eibachs. If u dont want an aggressive drop stay away from Sprint and S-techs, those springs drop the car by 2", im not sure about sprint but i can tell u S-techs are not going to be that great as far as ride is concerned. the Sprints will probably be similar to the S-techs.

IMO, i would only be looking at H&R and Eibachs for springs, depending on ur preferences for springs. Get Konis if you dont mind modifying your stock strut housing they are the best. If you dont want to go through the trouble get Illumina for struts.
Old 11-14-2008, 07:44 PM

The eibachs (and the rest) are progressive springrates. Eibach may be stiffest at the limit, but daily driving I think it's too soft.