4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.
View Poll Results: Boycott BP gas?
YES
22.22%
NO
77.78%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Boycott BP gas!

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 06:15 AM

Boycott BP gas!

I can't stand driving by a BP and seeing people fill up. I think we should boycott'em. Anyone with me? think im crazy? ...thoughts...
Old 06-23-2010, 06:32 AM

No boycotting here.The reason I say this is because lots of BP stations are privately owned.Why make private owners suffer when theyre not the ones on the oil rigs?Theyre just out trying to make a living like you and I.yes they should have been better prepared for such a disaster but all the other oil companies are set up the same way so it could have happened to Exxon,Shell etc....
Old 06-23-2010, 06:40 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Unfortunately it makes no sense.

Your only hurting the public even more by not buying gas from them as the stations are privately owned.
Old 06-23-2010, 07:21 AM

Gasoline is fungible. That means that oil company A sells 10 million barrels of gas on the open market, and oil company B sells 5 million. Fuel station Z buys 2 million barrels of gas, fuel station Y buys 7 million barrels and fuel station X buys the remaining 6 million barrels, all from the. This means that no one station can guarantee that they get a certain company's gas.

"Turns out that gas is fungible, i.e., gas is gas, whether it comes from Conoco or BP. There aren’t special BP or Conoco gas pipes. All imported and domestic oil that enters the U.S. market flows into and out of the same distribution network. The same pipes, storage tanks, and transport network handles it all."

http://www.free-eco.org/articleDisplay.php?id=722

If you really want to make a difference, we need to stop driving cars with Internal Combustion Engines.
Old 06-23-2010, 07:24 AM

Tough question! I agree with the other responses. The poor slob who owns the station didn't cause the spill and just wants to feed his kids.

Trying to punish BP the corporation is another thing. Might be satisfying and even just. But consider that they are bearing most of the cost of cleanup and mitigation. I'd at least like to see that wrapped up before we kill the golden goose. BP is a nice big cash machine and killing them prematurely means we don't squeeze as much from them for cleanup as we might have.

Say BP fixes and cleans up, then we bankrupt them punitively. Then what? The other guys are still out there cutting corners, and we've still got to feed the monkey (if for no other reason than to continue driving our A32s), and with decreased production we'd see $4+/gallon again. And with China and India coming online, that's getting to be on big f*cking monkey to feed.
Old 06-23-2010, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by ajm8127
Gasoline is fungible. That means that oil company A sells 10 million barrels of gas on the open market, and oil company B sells 5 million. Fuel station Z buys 2 million barrels of gas, fuel station Y buys 7 million barrels and fuel station X buys the remaining 6 million barrels, all from the. This means that no one station can guarantee that they get a certain company's gas.

"Turns out that gas is fungible, i.e., gas is gas, whether it comes from Conoco or BP. There aren’t special BP or Conoco gas pipes. All imported and domestic oil that enters the U.S. market flows into and out of the same distribution network. The same pipes, storage tanks, and transport network handles it all."

http://www.free-eco.org/articleDisplay.php?id=722

If you really want to make a difference, we need to stop driving cars with Internal Combustion Engines.

now i am depressed lol! well i tried very valid points here i did not realize the logistics of it. kinda makes me feel like a donkey
Old 06-23-2010, 07:42 AM

Honestly, I thought a boycott might be a good way to put pressure on BP as well initially, but then realized the fungibility of oil and the cost to the locally owned gas stations. I like your enthusiasm though.
Old 06-23-2010, 07:54 AM

yeah man i commend u bronz. But boycottin them would only give them a reason to not clean up their mess. They would jus claim bankruptcy adn make the govt clean it. In the end we still pay for it.
Old 06-23-2010, 08:16 AM
Kevlo for President

BP gas station are privately owned, no need to punish honest workers; they are just like us.

I live in the gulf coast and I still buy BP gas. Anyways this belongs in the OT discussion if you want to continue it