4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Looking to Buy First Maxima - Advice Needed

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2008 | 12:02 AM

Looking to Buy First Maxima - Advice Needed

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum. I'm looking to buy a '96-'99 Maxima SE to serve me through college and grad school (and possibly beyond).

My previous car, a 1996 Lexus LS 400 was a wonderful car in its own right but it was just not me. It seemed to be lacking a soul... something my very first car (1990 Infiniti Q45) had in spades. Now I'm searching for a Maxima SE, preferably a 5-speed, so I can once again own a car I'm somewhat emotionally attached to yet will be reliable and practical as well.

I've test-driven two Maximas so far:

1998 Black/Black SE 5-speed with leather, Bose, everything but heated seats and side airbags. It was in horrible shape - the body was covered in scratches and the interior had rips in the vinyl here and there. Sadly, it didn't drive well either. The engine seemed to thrash a bit, the owner said the timing chain needed to be replaced. I was surprised at how high the cruising RPMs were - over 2500 RPM at 60 MPH? The shifter felt a bit ungainly and stiff as well. They were asking $4000 but it needed at least $2k more in repairs right off the bat.

1995 Maroon/Gray cloth SE automatic with a sunroof and no other real options. I was relieved to experience what a healthy VQ30DE runs like - turbine-smooth and punchy with a refined snarl above 4,000 RPMs. The automatic was very smooth and fairly responsive. Crusing RPMs were much lower than the 5-MT with 60 MPH coming in at about 2000 RPMs. I liked the look of the car: Maroon with those smart 7-spoke alloys and fog lamps. Unfortunately, this car needed some work too; the paint was fading in spots and there was a persistent knocking from the front end. Like the '98, the leather on the steering wheel was wearing off. The passenger-side window was off its track and it needed a new starter and O2 sensor. They were asking $3800. No thanks. As much as I liked the automatic, it's just another trait of the LS 400 that I didn't care for and I would probably regret it in the long haul.

So my search continues. I like the overall look of the '97'-'99 better than the '96. The one redeeming trait of the '96 is its glass headlights that don't yellow with age like the plastic lenses on the newer units. My favorite colors are pearl white, crimson blaze ('99 SE-L), silver and maroon. Super black shows too many imperfections and is not ideal for Texas weather.

Now for the questions:

1) Will I be able to find a clean, well-maintained 5-speed for under $5000?
2) I've heard the '95-'96 Maximas are a tick quicker than the '97-'99s. Is this true?
3) Do well-maintained 5-speeds shift better than the kludgy one I test drove? (generally speaking)
4) Any common problems I need to watch for as I'm test driving Maximas?
5) Do the timing chains need to be replaced like a timing belt?

Thanks for your help; I'm glad to be a part of this community.
Old 11-16-2008 | 12:26 AM

1) i think u should be able to find a 5 speed for under $5000. check the forums for one
2)the difference is negligible auto for auto, 5 speed for 5 speed, most difference probably coming from extra weight from options like leather, etc. maybe emmissions stuff, not sure, there may be other reasons why, but like i said, very minor
4)look out for Knock sensor problems, it will not trip the check engine light, another issue maxima owners tend to look out for is rust on the radiator support beam
5)timing chains *should* last the life of the engine, so no, its not a maintenance item
Old 11-16-2008 | 01:29 AM

there was one for sale here these days. check the Maximas for sale/wanted section. It is in PERFECT condition with low miles but its black (which I love).
Old 11-16-2008 | 07:01 AM
mod or sell?

look at an I30t, they can usually be had for less and they come better equipped. plus they are closer to the luxury level of your previous 2 cars.
Old 11-16-2008 | 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by internetautomar
look at an I30t, they can usually be had for less and they come better equipped. plus they are closer to the luxury level of your previous 2 cars.
So an I30t would have a handling response similar to the SE? In my area at least, I30s with a stick are extremely hard to find.
Old 11-16-2008 | 08:36 AM

as silly as it sound try www.autotrader.com i found several on there before.
Old 11-16-2008 | 08:39 AM

I've checked autotrader.com, but I've found them overpriced. Example: $8500 for a 98 Maxima GXE? How?

I'm checking craigslist and the classifieds in the paper. I posted this want ad on craigslist yesterday:

http://austin.craigslist.org/wan/920460876.html
Old 11-16-2008 | 08:50 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I got mine off craigslist for 3750. Its a 97 se white w/ black leather very clean and runs as strong as every. I got mine with 18's and video and audio installed already.
Old 11-16-2008 | 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by EEMaxima
Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum. I'm looking to buy a '96-'99 Maxima SE to serve me through college and grad school (and possibly beyond).

My previous car, a 1996 Lexus LS 400 was a wonderful car in its own right but it was just not me. It seemed to be lacking a soul... something my very first car (1990 Infiniti Q45) had in spades. Now I'm searching for a Maxima SE, preferably a 5-speed, so I can once again own a car I'm somewhat emotionally attached to yet will be reliable and practical as well.

Now for the questions:

1) Will I be able to find a clean, well-maintained 5-speed for under $5000?
2) I've heard the '95-'96 Maximas are a tick quicker than the '97-'99s. Is this true?
3) Do well-maintained 5-speeds shift better than the kludgy one I test drove? (generally speaking)
4) Any common problems I need to watch for as I'm test driving Maximas?
5) Do the timing chains need to be replaced like a timing belt?

Thanks for your help; I'm glad to be a part of this community.
Good luck with your search (and with school), EE.

After owning 2, 5 speed SE's (the first an 85 I bought new and had for 9 years), I'd concur that you are on the right track. I bought my current (95 SE) Max in 9/94, and I'm more attached to it now than ever. It still looks decent and runs great - but, of course, constant garaging as well as never eating (or having smoke) in the car helps. Sad to say, however, with 200K miles (even as good as it runs and looks - the custom leather is in perfect shape) this car is likely only worth a couple grand.

So, though I'm not looking to sell mine (I have my eyes on the AWD G37's when the Max does die), I know there are good ones still out here. Just keep searching.

As for the 5 speeds, my original is still going strong with only one gear oil change at 100K. And the original clutch lasted 192K miles as well.

The timing chain is one reason I recommend cars with this engine to others (daughter has a Quest and wife drives a Murano). Theoretically, as long as you do regular oil changes, of course, the chains will last forever.

Last edited by nafddur; 11-16-2008 at 09:47 AM.
Old 11-16-2008 | 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by nafddur
Good luck with your search (and with school), EE.

After owning 2, 5 speed SE's (the first an 85 I bought new and had for 9 years), I'd concur that you are on the right track. I bought my current (95 SE) Max in 9/94, and I'm more attached to it now than ever. It still looks decent and runs great - but, of course, constant garaging as well as never eating (or having smoke) in the car helps. Sad to say, however, with 200K miles (even as good as it runs and looks - the custom leather is in perfect shape) this car is likely only worth a couple grand.

So, though I'm not looking to sell mine (I have my eyes on the AWD G37's when the Max does die), I know there are good ones still out here. Just keep searching.

As for the 5 speeds, my original is still going strong with only one gear oil change at 100K. And the original clutch lasted 192K miles as well.

The timing chain is one reason I recommend cars with this engine to others (daughter has a Quest and wife drives a Murano). Theoretically, as long as you do regular oil changes, of course, the chains will last forever.
Thanks for the help, that was very reassuring. If I don't get a manual, I'll make a concession and only get an automatic if it has leather. I'm thankful that 4th gen Maximas are pretty easy to come by these days so if I'm patient the right one will come my way.
Old 11-16-2008 | 02:04 PM

Keep looking, go to classifieds, dont let the Infinfi badge fool u aswell. I bought my I30t for 3100 and it was well maintained and ran smoothly, garage kept its entire life and the interior was so clean i swore the owner was lying when he said it had 190k, it look more like 3k, other than some maintenance things it has been extremely good for the year that i've had it.

dont be hasty and take your time the right car will pop up.
Old 11-16-2008 | 04:03 PM

You're on the right track. Take everyones advice here; i.e. knock sensor, radiator core support. The only other things I can tell you to look out for on the higher mileage is common maintenance problems like water pump, power steering pump, and cv boots. If they have the Bose unit in them, that will most likely not be working, or be going soon.

Now, as for the cruising speeds on the tranny, they seem correct. My 96 auto turns a true 2500 at 72MPH. My 97 5spd turns ~3000 at 72MPH

But beyond that, just use common sense when looking at a used car period. If you know your way around a car, you know what to look for. Good Luck.

NM91
Old 11-16-2008 | 04:18 PM

Yes, you should be able to find a 96 - 99 for less than 5K. Don't buy the junk heap, these cars are very dependable as long as you maintain them. I just bought a 99 GLE with 125k for just under 6k from a dealer. If if would have been from an individual it would have probably been $500 or so cheaper.

I have a 96 with M/T. 70 mph @ 3000 rpm. It has around 205K on the clock.
Shifting is starting to get a little notchy, but it is orginal. Replaced the normal items, knock sensor, O2 probes, CV half shafts, shocks, starter, water pump, wheel brgs and it is on its third set of plugs, and a coil bit the dust. Radio is intermentant, it is working right now. Bose/Clarion are an issues in a lot of these cars.

the 99 with auto 70 mph @ around 2500 rpm (i don't drive it, daughters) just replaced the knock sensor (CEL)

Keep looking, there is a deal out there. There should be a lot of cars where your are. But be aware of the flood cars.

good luck.
Old 11-16-2008 | 05:49 PM
mod or sell?

So an I30t would have a handling response similar to the SE? In my area at least, I30s with a stick are extremely hard to find.
yes it does.
The "t" models got all the SE suspension upgrades.
I was perusing my local CL earlier and there were a couple of I30s for sale, at least 1 stick, and 1 I30t, can't recall if was both in one car or 2 seperate cars.
I have a t but with an A/T and 183k, I paid less than 2k for it though. my investment in the car is now higher though.
Old 11-16-2008 | 08:24 PM

Well here's a start:

http://www.autorevolution.com/dealer...fby=dealersite

I will say I prefer the look of the Maxima to the I30t. Body-colored over chrome, 5-spoke alloys over the mesh-type - the Maxima looks more purposeful to me.
Old 11-16-2008 | 11:34 PM

yeah man theres hope def. check the maxima for sale forums on here i found myself a 97se with mint leather 5 spd shifts like butter, 97% of the time has 121k miles 00vi and a cf hood and i got it for 3800 so dont jump the gun because you'll find a good one for cheap, you'll find alot of people do on here. but do check undernethe, these things are notorious for rust if its a 5spd check the shifter cable those will occasionaly wear, but id say most of all just give it to a mechanic they'll look it over and give you a cost to repair estimate which will knock the price down on that car so fast, not only that but the mechanic isnt 100% correct all the time so you might not even have to get certain stuff fixed
best bet:
search the s*** out of the forums and local classifieds
find a cheap maxima with a solid interior
wont be hard to find one with a strong motor
let a trusted mechanic look at it/drive it, its like 30$ save you thousands
carfax!
then buy it

dont buy one unless all those check out= great investment
Old 11-17-2008 | 05:08 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

my first post!

I just bought a 99 SE limited with 96,000 for $6000. Interior is mint, everythings still works and the exterior is dentless but has a few minor scratches and paint chips. Nothing that can't be fixed. The car runs strong and is still tight feeling. I've always liked the look of the 4th gen maximas and was looking for a good 'starter' car for my daughter to learn on but I'm enjoying it too much to give it up.
I'm getting consistant 19 mpg in city hard driving and almost 30 highway.
Old 11-17-2008 | 07:11 AM

Well here's a start:

I will say I prefer the look of the Maxima to the I30t. Body-colored over chrome, 5-spoke alloys over the mesh-type - the Maxima looks more purposeful to me.
that I30 looks pretty clean, just needs to have that corner light fixed, it looks exactly like mine too lol. btw that is a 96 not a 97. I would go take a look at it and test drive it anyway if it is in good condition it will give u an idea of what to look for in a MT.
Old 11-17-2008 | 10:08 AM
mod or sell?

Well here's a start:

I had those wheels on my max.
My I30 has some thick **** 5 spokes from the factory.
Old 11-17-2008 | 11:45 AM

i bought my 97 maxima SE off craigslist for 3000 back in may. The only thing i have done to it thus far is brake pads. I desperately need struts but other than that everything is in decent state. this car has a salvage title about 7 years ago. that may be some of the reason. Maximas are great u just need to buy one that was mechanically taken care of and it will last you forever. i bought my maxima to get me through college, so far its living up to its job.
Old 11-17-2008 | 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by ThreePointO
i bought my 97 maxima SE off craigslist for 3000 back in may. The only thing i have done to it thus far is brake pads. I desperately need struts but other than that everything is in decent state. this car has a salvage title about 7 years ago. that may be some of the reason. Maximas are great u just need to buy one that was mechanically taken care of and it will last you forever. i bought my maxima to get me through college, so far its living up to its job.
Yeah, I washed my Lexus twice a month and treated the leather three times per year, fixed a few things and I sold it in better shape than I bought it. I'm a conservative driver; I don't accelerate or brake hard just for the heck of it. There's no reason my Maxima shouldn't last me at least four years provided I buy one that has been well-maintained. I just have a feeling it will be much harder to find a well-cared-for 5-speed than a well-cared-for automatic Maxima. That '98 I looked at had clearly been abused by its owners, which was a shame since it was almost fully loaded.
Old 11-17-2008 | 02:28 PM
Banned

for 3k you can buy a mildly moddified max with low miles.

you should easily be able to find a 5pd for 3k in great shape. then spend the rest in mods or buy a premodded one...

http://forums.maxima.org/maximas-sal...achusetts.html <-- that's a steal if you can fix cars. or pay a guy up here to pick it up and fix it for you...like kev. and then fly up here and drive it back. it would cost well less then 2k and thats including plane tickets gas etc.

http://forums.maxima.org/maximas-sal...ack-black.html

http://forums.maxima.org/maximas-sal...arl-white.html

just some examples...
Old 11-17-2008 | 02:53 PM

FYI the lenses on a 97 are plastic, not unless someone changed it to glass.
Old 11-17-2008 | 10:42 PM

Thanks for the help, that was very reassuring. If I don't get a manual, I'll make a concession and only get an automatic if it has leather. I'm thankful that 4th gen Maximas are pretty easy to come by these days so if I'm patient the right one will come my way.

Why dont you scrap the leather and look for a car with really low miles instead? SE or GXE who care! Engine is the same, and you can always easily slap a set of foglights in later. Get a low mileage, well-maintained car and it will last you way past grad school!
Old 11-18-2008 | 08:50 AM

The GXE is just too bare-bones for me, and in reality, the price difference between an SE or GXE or GLE on the used market is nil. Odds are it won't even has the ABS option. No limited-slip diff on the 5MT versions either.

Even if it means getting an automatic SE, I want the sharper handling response and road feel of the SE suspension. I don't know if the handling of a GXE would be appreciably better than my LS 400.
Old 11-18-2008 | 09:01 AM

The GXE is just too bare-bones for me, and in reality, the price difference between an SE or GXE or GLE on the used market is nil. Odds are it won't even has the ABS option. No limited-slip diff on the 5MT versions either.

Even if it means getting an automatic SE, I want the sharper handling response and road feel of the SE suspension. I don't know if the handling of a GXE would be appreciably better than my LS 400.
Finding a low mile 97 will be hard. I would look for something that has been well maintained instead. Then I would put new struts and springs on it and upgrade the wheels and tires, then you will have something that will handle very well. If you want to lower it, i wouldnt go any lower than 1.5" if you want a decent ride and have handling.
Old 11-18-2008 | 09:03 AM
mod or sell?

there was no VLSD option on the max at all in the US, only the I30t had it.
Old 11-18-2008 | 06:01 PM

go to cars.com they have a desent amount of maximas for good prices and low milaege. you should probably be more picky of the mileage rather than the body condition
Old 11-18-2008 | 06:08 PM

I tracked down a '96 Infiniti I30t 5-Speed with 95,000 miles for $4000 I might check out. For that price it had better be in pretty good shape...

Originally Posted by gregmaxin
go to cars.com they have a desent amount of maximas for good prices and low milaege. you should probably be more picky of the mileage rather than the body condition
Old 11-18-2008 | 08:08 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Craigslist or cars.com will probably be your best bet. Picked up my '97 SE for $3,000 w/ 130k mi. Unfortunately, less than a year later I'm looking at a major transmission repair. Beware of input shaft bearing failure on the 5 speeds!
Old 11-18-2008 | 08:33 PM

i got mine for about 4g....and mine is all leather se with heated seats and Every option....so keep looking....dont give up on the max hunt....itle pay off
Old 11-18-2008 | 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by BiZzL3
i got mine for about 4g....and mine is all leather se with heated seats and Every option....so keep looking....dont give up on the max hunt....itle pay off
I won't give up! I knew right away that it was the car for me when I drove one - everything felt just right. The interior, visibility, driving position, the wonderful engine, everything.
Old 11-18-2008 | 11:46 PM

ill give you mine....its a 1995 SE 5 speed pearl white with 108k, but i converted it to a 97-99. everything except the steering wheel. it has some mods, and im asking 4g for it. paypal me 4.4gs and i'll drive it over to you.
Old 11-19-2008 | 02:42 AM
wants an I35

Originally Posted by internetautomar
i agree. if i had to do it all over again i woulda preferred an I30....

Originally Posted by BiZzL3
+1 here

i looked and called and drove around for MONTHS before finding a great deal; a 97 GLE w/ all options and 41,000 original miles for $4400 (dumb old lady ftw)
Old 11-19-2008 | 04:16 AM

I have seen 2000 and 2001's going for $5000.. So take your time if you can...

I had two 1995 Maximas. I paid $3500 for my first Maxima SE white with black leather and all the options. And $3500 for my second Maxima Gle auto converted to manual. Came with A custom turbo kit.. So again take your time you will find one...

Last edited by nwell2k3; 11-19-2008 at 04:22 AM.
Old 11-19-2008 | 06:31 AM

you can find a really nice max for 5000. and i would definetly take the advice about looking for a i30 bcus i can gurantee you that you will find a i30 with same options and same mileage for less than a maxima with the same options and mileage. i know bcus i was actually looking at maximas when i came across my i30 and it was actually about 2g's less than the maximas i was looking at with higher mileage and this i30 has every option except heated seats,and Nav and touring option.

soo dont just limit your search to maximas and i30 in 97-99 range look for 5th gens as well. the 5th gens might have higher mileage but they are newer and if you find one who had a loving/careing owner you will have a newer car that will last you thru your college years.

Good luck and hope you find your soul max!
Old 11-19-2008 | 06:35 AM

hey cfiggs, is that camry for real?
Old 11-19-2008 | 10:11 AM

I was thinking about the '96 I30t 5-speed... what are the pros and cons of having a limited-slip differential?
Old 11-19-2008 | 10:23 AM
mod or sell?

I was thinking about the '96 I30t 5-speed... what are the pros and cons of having a limited-slip differential?
Pro : better traction
cons: hard to find
Old 11-19-2008 | 12:56 PM
The Golden One

Would be interested in buying my car? I can sell it with mods or without (for a lower price).

See the link in my sig. It's only got 72k, so it would last you way through what you need.

Quick Reply: Looking to Buy First Maxima - Advice Needed