4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

In cabin micron air filter available

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2002, 09:21 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

has anyone tried the infinti dealer and checked with the 97 i30? im pretty sure it is the same HVAC system,and they must have the filter for the i30 right? im gonna go to both dealers today so ill see what i can find out.
Old 05-09-2002, 12:34 PM
Licensed to Spell

:o)

Originally posted by BEEI30
i bought the incabin microfilter for my 2001 i30 last month. it was easy to replace. the kit is a 2 piece filter. to replace them you need to remove the glove box. took awhile for me to find it (was looking everywhere). i bought it from infiniti of scottsdale, it was 40 something dollars...tell them your from the org.
Thanks for rubbing it in Bee. :P
Old 05-09-2002, 12:37 PM
Licensed to Spell

Originally posted by Mad Dhan
has anyone tried the infinti dealer and checked with the 97 i30? im pretty sure it is the same HVAC system,and they must have the filter for the i30 right? im gonna go to both dealers today so ill see what i can find out.
That's a good point. Perhaps Infiniti had it while the Maxima didn't. I'll try to swing by an Infiniti dealer too if I see one. Or I'll just call. Anyway, thanks and let us know.
Old 05-09-2002, 01:19 PM

well just came back from both dealers, nothing. They both said they started in 2000 adn there are no kits or retro fit for a 95-99 max. Ill try one more dealer but after that im movin on unless njmaxseltd would be so nice as to post the part number or anyone else.

edit, well it is not possible. i just took apart my glove box. i posted the pic of this in a new thread.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hreadid=118843
Old 05-09-2002, 07:37 PM
Licensed to Spell

Originally posted by Mad Dhan
well just came back from both dealers, nothing. They both said they started in 2000 adn there are no kits or retro fit for a 95-99 max. Ill try one more dealer but after that im movin on unless njmaxseltd would be so nice as to post the part number or anyone else.

edit, well it is not possible. i just took apart my glove box. i posted the pic of this in a new thread.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hreadid=118843

Wow, you're not messing around! Thanks Mad. Yeah, I too called an Infiniti dealer and asked if the '96-'99 I30s offered a micron filter. He said no. I too am ready to through in the towle on this one. I sure wish njmax would get back to us about his dealership specifically selling one for the 4th gen. Mad, I thank you for the pics. I just don't quite understand what it is we are looking at. Why are you saying it is not possible? Thanks.
Old 05-09-2002, 08:34 PM

Re: :o)

Originally posted by ptatohed

Wow, you're not messing around! Thanks Mad. Yeah, I too called an Infiniti dealer and asked if the '96-'99 I30s offered a micron filter. He said no. I too am ready to through in the towle on this one. I sure wish njmax would get back to us about his dealership specifically selling one for the 4th gen. Mad, I thank you for the pics. I just don't quite understand what it is we are looking at. Why are you saying it is not possible? Thanks.
Did u see the the first pic(the one that is url, that is where the cabin fileter is suppoesd to go. The other pics are teh actuall unit in my car. Cant do it.
Old 05-10-2002, 02:48 PM

Re: Re: :o)

Did u see the the first pic(the one that is url, that is where the cabin fileter is suppoesd to go. The other pics are teh actuall unit in my car. Cant do it. [/B][/QUOTE]

Hi, I saw the pictures on the link and I think it could be possible. First, the foam you see is not a filter. It is used as a cushion to keep the a/c core in its place. Secondly, the area that your pointing to in the picture, would not be where the filter should go.
And on the diagram, it seems that the filter would be dead center. But, I don't think so. I think the filter goes where your two fingers are pulling back the black plastic. I've never seen one before but, I have opened one of those boxes from a Hardbody. Just my .02.
Old 05-10-2002, 04:48 PM

Re: Re: Re: :o)

[i]Hi, I saw the pictures on the link and I think it could be possible. First, the foam you see is not a filter. It is used as a cushion to keep the a/c core in its place. Secondly, the area that your pointing to in the picture, would not be where the filter should go.
And on the diagram, it seems that the filter would be dead center. But, I don't think so. I think the filter goes where your two fingers are pulling back the black plastic. I've never seen one before but, I have opened one of those boxes from a Hardbody. Just my .02. [/B]
yes u are right about the heater core\ a/c evap. However i still do no think this can happen and guess the pics were not big enough.If u know how to do it then g'luck, im giving up on this myslef unless someone says they done it for sure relativly easily.
Old 05-10-2002, 08:33 PM

yeh doesnt seem worth is to me
Old 05-11-2002, 05:19 PM
Licensed to Spell

Originally posted by iregula
yeh doesnt seem worth is to me
Not me, it's certainly worth it to me. I just need to know how!!! LOL
Old 06-17-2002, 02:47 PM

http://www.renaultsamsungm.com/micro...nvenience.html

The air filter might be possible after all. The 2002 Renault Samsung SM5, which is basically an A32 Maxima, looks like it has some sort of air filtration available.

I can't read Korean or anything like that, but the SM5 center console looks like it would fit the 4th Gen Maxima as well. Looks like the center console is two level and has a 12v power socket inside. Also, the back of the center console has a cupholder for the back passengers! The rear seat looks like they have adjustable headrests and you might be able to order the back seats heated!

-V
Old 06-17-2002, 03:05 PM
Licensed to Spell

Originally posted by vmok
http://www.renaultsamsungm.com/micro...nvenience.html

The air filter might be possible after all. The 2002 Renault Samsung SM5, which is basically an A32 Maxima, looks like it has some sort of air filtration available.

I can't read Korean or anything like that, but the SM5 center console looks like it would fit the 4th Gen Maxima as well. Looks like the center console is two level and has a 12v power socket inside. Also, the back of the center console has a cupholder for the back passengers! The rear seat looks like they have adjustable headrests and you might be able to order the back seats heated!

-V

OHHHH vmok, I HAAAAATE you!! That stuff is awesome. Now I want it!! If I didn't know about it, I wouldn't/couldn't want it. Thanks a lot. :P Just kidding, good find man.

Now we just need a translator...
Old 06-17-2002, 04:45 PM

Re: :o)

Originally posted by ptatohed

OHHHH vmok, I HAAAAATE you!! That stuff is awesome. Now I want it!! If I didn't know about it, I wouldn't/couldn't want it. Thanks a lot. :P Just kidding, good find man.

Now we just need a translator...
No prob... just need to find someone who has access to this stuff and can get us pricing/availability! The center console is definitely sweet...

-V
Old 06-17-2002, 06:22 PM

I read about that at my local infiniti dealer, it looks like a good investment!
Old 06-19-2002, 01:13 AM

Originally posted by BBaker025
I read about that at my local infiniti dealer, it looks like a good investment!
Especially if you have bad allergies like me!

-V
Old 06-21-2002, 10:28 AM

I have a 96 and also wanted an air filter. But I think its probably possible to make your own setup: You could probably make a filter by cutting one of the high efficiency home central air filters (like the 3M brand Filtrette) found in most hardware stores (like Home Depot or even Walmart.) These have a wire mesh backing that provides pretty good support once the piece is cut - of course you will have to figure out the exact dimensions. Find the proper location for a filter (probably just in the chamber in front of the heater core) that is also within the circuit of recirculated air and that should be where it should go (it would be nice to know where in the retrofit kits for the 2000 Max the filter goes because the air ducting on the Maxima has changed very little from 3rd gen to 5th gen.) Just make shure the filter itself is positioned so that it does not contact the heater core. I'll bet this will work. I have done this for an air purifier I use at home because the damn replacement filters are so expensive and it works great! It just didn't occur to me to take the next step and try it on the Max. What do you think?
Old 06-21-2002, 10:35 AM
Licensed to Spell

Originally posted by icemax
I have a 96 and also wanted an air filter. But I think its probably possible to make your own setup: You could probably make a filter by cutting one of the high efficiency home central air filters (like the 3M brand Filtrette) found in most hardware stores (like Home Depot or even Walmart.) These have a wire mesh backing that provides pretty good support once the piece is cut - of course you will have to figure out the exact dimensions. Find the proper location for a filter (probably just in the chamber in front of the heater core) that is also within the circuit of recirculated air and that should be where it should go (it would be nice to know where in the retrofit kits for the 2000 Max the filter goes because the air ducting on the Maxima has changed very little from 3rd gen to 5th gen.) Just make shure the filter itself is positioned so that it does not contact the heater core. I'll bet this will work. I have done this for an air purifier I use at home because the damn replacement filters are so expensive and it works great! It just didn't occur to me to take the next step and try it on the Max. What do you think?
I think you are an Einstein and I think you just signed yourself up for a how-to!
Old 06-21-2002, 01:10 PM

Re: Re: Re: In cabin micron air filter available

That's exactly what my dealer told me too. I have a 99 . So, can I or can't I get the filter kit ?

Originally posted by jiaxima96

My dealer told me the filter is availabe for 2000 and newer Max.
Old 06-24-2002, 12:05 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: In cabin micron air filter available

Originally posted by dvpatel99se
That's exactly what my dealer told me too. I have a 99 . So, can I or can't I get the filter kit ?

If you can find someone to order you the appropriate parts from a Samsung SM5, which is an A32 (4th Gen) Maxima licensed to Samsung for production in Korea, you can probably get something setup since the filtration kit either comes standard or as an option for the SM5. But since I don't have contacts in Korea, nor do I read or speak Korean, I'm definitely not the one for this one...

-V
Old 06-25-2002, 10:58 PM

Addition to my previous comment - check out the diagrams on the courtesyparts website on these links which might help:

http://www.courtesyparts.com/Merchan...de=B7200-00005

and

http://www.courtesyparts.com/instruc...binfilter.html
Old 06-26-2002, 12:20 AM

I feel this is not worth the trouble anymore.
Old 06-26-2002, 08:24 AM
Licensed to Spell

Originally posted by icemax
Addition to my previous comment - check out the diagrams on the courtesyparts website on these links which might help:

http://www.courtesyparts.com/Merchan...de=B7200-00005

and

http://www.courtesyparts.com/instruc...binfilter.html

Good find ice.! So this goes back to the original question: can this be done on our 4th gens?
Old 07-05-2002, 04:51 PM

The Samsung SM5 isn't an A33 Maxima, it's an A32 Maxima that's been licensed to Samsung for production in Korea.

Look at these pictures...

http://www.renaultsamsungm.com/
http://www.renaultsamsungm.com/microsite/start.html

The idea here isn't get retrofit a A33 5th Gen filter to a 4th Gen A32. It's to get the parts from a foreign A32 4th gen and put it into US Spec 4th gen A32. Similar in what people are doing with the Middle Eastern variable volume intake manifolds. In fact, if you take a look at some of the pictures for the cover for the ME manifold, it says Samsung right on it.

If you look at the interior pictures of the links above, the dash looks identical between the A32 Maxima and Samsung SM5. However, you'll notice that the A33 Maxima dash looks completely different.

-V