4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

rear valve cover gasket-repair info

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 11:55 AM

rear valve cover gasket-repair info

wats up org member's simple question, how much have u guys replaced ur rear valve cover gaskets for? and did u try doing it urself at all? and if u dont replace it how bad can the leak become thanks you all for ur time
Old 12-03-2008, 12:18 PM
oem ftw!

I did it myself. Actually, that leak was the best thing that ever happened to my car - I used it as an opportunity to install the 00VI, since I had to remove the upper intake manifold to replace the gasket anyway.

Even with limited experience, I think you can get that job done in about 5 or 6 hours. Best approach for removing the upper IM? Just look at it, and start unbolting stuff until it comes off . Sounds , but it's true . Label all of the vacuum hoses that you remove, and keep track of all bolts. The FSM has a bunch of diagrams that will help you to label things and get everything reconnected properly. If you decide to do it yourself post back here and I'll see if I can come up with the pages that I used when I did it. Be careful when removing the coolant hoses running into the firewall. The neck of the heater core is very brittle, and snaps easily. Be sure to replace the spark plug tube seals too.

If you don't replace the gasket, the leak can become pretty bad. There was a thread on here a while back where a member had a quick, steady drip of oil from the cover when the engine was running .

If you choose to take it to a shop, I think you'll be looking at about $325 for the job..

Last edited by CRiME; 12-03-2008 at 12:31 PM.
Old 12-03-2008, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by CRiME
I did it myself. Actually, that leak was the best thing that ever happened to my car - I used it as an opportunity to install the 00VI, since I had to remove the upper intake manifold to replace the gasket anyway.

Even with limited experience, I think you can get that job done in about 5 or 6 hours. Best approach for removing the upper IM? Just look at it, and start unbolting stuff until it comes off . Sounds , but it's true . Label all of the vacuum hoses that you remove, and keep track of all bolts. The FSM has a bunch of diagrams that will help you to label things and get everything reconnected properly. If you decide to do it yourself post back here and I'll see if I can come up with the pages that I used when I did it. Be careful when removing the coolant hoses running into the firewall. The neck of the heater core is very brittle, and snaps easily. Be sure to replace the spark plug tube seals too.

If you don't replace the gasket, the leak can become pretty bad. There was a thread on here a while back where a member had a quick, steady drip of oil from the cover when the engine was running .

If you choose to take it to a shop, I think you'll be looking at about $325 for the job..
exactly what i did. perfect excuse to get the 00vi IMO.
took me around 8hrs but thats b/c of multiple breaks and what not.
just label everything, don't loose any of the screw and you'll be fine

make sure you use gasket sealant
Old 12-03-2008, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by maxfever1987
wats up org member's simple question, how much have u guys replaced ur rear valve cover gaskets for? and did u try doing it urself at all? and if u dont replace it how bad can the leak become thanks you all for ur time
Did not do it myself... the car had to go in for another reason and I had both VC gaskets replaced at that time. Both gaskets cost right around $500.00. The rear is more labor intensive so I'd bet that one alone would be about $350.00.

My leak... from the rear VC... was quite severe. I was loosing nearly a half an ounce (1/2 of a shot glass) of oil per operating day. Oil was friggin pouring out. The longer you wait, the worse it's gonna get and it can get pretty bad.
Old 12-03-2008, 12:51 PM
No more Maximas...

Ie careful when removing the coolant hoses running into the firewall. The neck of the heater core is very brittle, and snaps easily. Be sure to replace the spark plug tube seals too.
Why would you remove the heater hoses? There's no reason to remove those at all.

It's a relatively simple job, but the rear support bolts can be a PITA if you don't have the right tools (or know how to do it quickly), same for the EGR-UIM bolts. There are only a few vacuum lines to deal with to the UIM; brake booster, FPR, EVAP, EGR. The 'hardest' part is going to be the rear coolant hose that runs past the EGR tube, just because you've got to get a tricky angle on it.
Old 12-03-2008, 01:03 PM
oem ftw!

Originally Posted by pmohr
Why would you remove the heater hoses? There's no reason to remove those at all.
Why? Because there was no way that I was getting the rear pass. side UIM bolt off with the heater core line in place (I only had to remove the upper one). Others have had to remove it too. There simply wasn't enough room to get the ratchet on the bolt and turn it. Not everyone can get the UIM off with a set of pliers and a flat head screwdriver, you know.

Last edited by CRiME; 12-03-2008 at 01:33 PM.
Old 12-03-2008, 03:57 PM

i used a simple combination wrench to get the two bolts on the bracket. I left the hoses on.

Mine was leaking real bad at this corner.

Make sure you replace the sparkplug tube seals, there the 3 black round things in the valve cover. I also placed my gaskets in the sun to heat them up. Don't forget the radio, i need tunes.

You might want to get a stillen hood support to prop up the hood straight up, it's a lot easier to work with hood straight up.
Old 12-03-2008, 04:03 PM

The two rear IM bolt and EGR bolts can easily be removed with one of these offset wrench

Its like 4 bucks at autozone when you buy them separate
Old 12-03-2008, 05:07 PM
oem ftw!

Originally Posted by tbergma1
i used a simple combination wrench to get the two bolts on the bracket. I left the hoses on.

Mine was leaking real bad at this corner.

Make sure you replace the sparkplug tube seals, there the 3 black round things in the valve cover. I also placed my gaskets in the sun to heat them up. Don't forget the radio, i need tunes.

You might want to get a stillen hood support to prop up the hood straight up, it's a lot easier to work with hood straight up.
Excellent post, tbergma1. Great pictures.

Originally Posted by Donald199
The two rear IM bolt and EGR bolts can easily be removed with one of these offset wrench

Nice, That's ideal! Sure beats trying to finagle a socket wrench back there Definitely going to pick up one of those on my next Autozone run.
Old 12-03-2008, 05:41 PM

Stillen Hood Support
Old 12-03-2008, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by aznprid972
Stillen Hood Support
thats high quality stillen material right thur
Old 12-03-2008, 08:17 PM
No more Maximas...

Why? Because there was no way that I was getting the rear pass. side UIM bolt off with the heater core line in place (I only had to remove the upper one). Others have had to remove it too. There simply wasn't enough room to get the ratchet on the bolt and turn it. Not everyone can get the UIM off with a set of pliers and a flat head screwdriver, you know.
Hey, I had vice grips too:

Originally Posted by pmohr
I've removed a UIM and rear injectors at the junkyard with just pliers, vice grips, and two screwdrivers (not being prepared FTL)
Old 12-04-2008, 01:57 AM

Honestly guys, after doing about a dozen of these i can have both done in less than 1.5 hours. But its really simple. There is no need for removing all the throttle body hoses and vacuum hoses and all that mumbo jumbo. All you really need to do is remove the harness, unbolt the 2 rear upper intake bracket bolts behind intake and firewall, remove 2 egr tube bolts also from behind intake, remove coils, throttle cable bracket and cables shoved under wiper arms, remove PCV hose from valve cover underneath intake near throttlebody and then just go ahead and lift the upper intake up towards the driver side and with some needle nose pliers remove the clamp and coolant hose from underneath the intake near the throttle body (youll see). Then simply flip the upper intake manifold over towards the driver's side strut tower and use a bungee to just hold it away, you don't even need to remove all those vacuum hoses. Then carefully remove the crossover breather hose that connects to both valve covers, this hose might actually be too brittle and could split so make sure to buy this hose with the new valve cover gaskets. Then remove the 10mm bolts on the valve cover, remove the cover and install new gasket. Clean mating surfaces and i use a light coat of some silicone between the gasket and head to prevent future leaks.

Thats basically it. I think flat rate only pays like 2.5 hours for the job.
Old 12-04-2008, 02:01 AM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by turbizzy
Thats basically it. I think flat rate only pays like 2.5 hours for the job.
Book time is 3.0, which is ridiculous unless it's your first time. Money to be made there. Warranty is 1.8, which is closer to actual.

Front bank actually calls for 0.7...ha.
Old 12-04-2008, 02:07 AM

Is it 3? Dam, im gettin ripped lol. So that means your shop does their customer pay work @ 1.6 x warranty? We do anywhere from 1.3 to 1.5 x warranty depending on the job. Im assuming your a tech as well?

Oh, also forgot to mention. Might also want to look into replacing your passenger side transverse link (control arm) since the leaking valve cover has ruined your rubber bushing.
Old 12-04-2008, 02:46 AM
No more Maximas...

Is it 3? Dam, im gettin ripped lol. So that means your shop does their customer pay work @ 1.6 x warranty? We do anywhere from 1.3 to 1.5 x warranty depending on the job. Im assuming your a tech as well?
Those are AllData hours, all of the shops I've worked in (besides Nissan, of course) go by them.
Old 12-04-2008, 06:31 AM
The Golden One

I did it myself...but my leak was cause AFTER installing an 00VI lol. Took me about an hour to remove and re-install everything.
Old 12-04-2008, 03:05 PM

Oh, also forgot to mention. Might also want to look into replacing your passenger side transverse link (control arm) since the leaking valve cover has ruined your rubber bushing.
He's right i bet your bushings are shot. Now is the time to replace all your bushings.
Old 12-04-2008, 07:23 PM

Did it myself while I was changing one of the bad injectors. Does'nt take very long
Old 12-04-2008, 08:24 PM

wait....some one paid $350 to get theirs changed? pay me $200 and ill do it gladly....i took my intake manifold at least 5 times for fun
Old 12-05-2008, 10:46 AM

i really wish there was a recall for this stupid problem, mine is leaking slow whn ever parked but i would rather fix it before it becomes worse than it is and i would like to get it done $200 or less
Old 12-05-2008, 12:45 PM

Be VERY CAREFUL if you unhook the struts and pull the hood further back. The point of the hood can crack the windshield.

Don't ask me how I know...
Old 12-06-2008, 03:03 AM

i really wish there was a recall for this stupid problem, mine is leaking slow whn ever parked but i would rather fix it before it becomes worse than it is and i would like to get it done $200 or less
They're not gonna recall something unless its safety related. This is just considered maintenance.

And where are you located? Theres not location under your avatar. I would do someones for 200 at home...
Old 12-06-2008, 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by G4nismo
exactly what i did. perfect excuse to get the 00vi IMO.
took me around 8hrs but thats b/c of multiple breaks and what not.
just label everything, don't loose any of the screw and you'll be fine

make sure you use gasket sealant

+1. Make sure you follow the FSM on where to put sealant. Don't be a dumb @ss like me and not put. I have to plan for a 2nd time around.
Old 12-06-2008, 04:26 AM

Things to change while you're in there...

Even though my knock sensor was good, I changed it because I didn't feel like sticking my hand in that hole later on. I also cleaned my egr tube, it was ready to plug.
Old 12-14-2008, 01:44 PM

had mine fixed today for $220 including $80 for parts and $140 for labor. but after i came home and looked underneath after 20 mins i saw oil on the ground again, my question is that is it normal to see oil underneath ur car for a couple of days or so even after getting the job done. thank you all
Old 12-14-2008, 04:09 PM

had mine fixed today for $220 including $80 for parts and $140 for labor. but after i came home and looked underneath after 20 mins i saw oil on the ground again, my question is that is it normal to see oil underneath ur car for a couple of days or so even after getting the job done. thank you all
It can be normal for some residual oil to run off for a few days especially if the mechanic didn't do a good enough job cleaning the area.

But if you continue to have oil leaks that are severe and are from the same area chances are your rear timing chain o rings have turned to plastic and are leaking and/or your head gasket can be leaking in that small front corner.
Old 12-14-2008, 04:13 PM

It can be normal for some residual oil to run off for a few days especially if the mechanic didn't do a good enough job cleaning the area.

But if you continue to have oil leaks that are severe and are from the same area chances are your rear timing chain o rings have turned to plastic and are leaking and/or your head gasket can be leaking in that small front corner.
well the leak which i saw after the job was done was smaller compared to before, and also when i got the job done i canged rear valve cover gasket, front valve cover gasket, upper intake manifold gasket, all 6 spark plug seals. i though it would be best since all that would be easier and better to do while everything is already opened.
Old 02-27-2009, 07:15 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I got my valve cover gaskets replaced today, i guess i got a pretty good deal. i spent $230 for both. This other shop was trying to rip me off for $265 for just the rear. It seems rather easy to do, but i rather not mess with it
Old 02-27-2009, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by guambomb
I got my valve cover gaskets replaced today, i guess i got a pretty good deal. i spent $230 for both. This other shop was trying to rip me off for $265 for just the rear. It seems rather easy to do, but i rather not mess with it
I wouldn't say the other shop was trying to rip you off necessarily, i would just say you got a better deal from another shop. Because 265 for just the rear sounds about right for dealership prices so.... you got a good deal. Thats assuming the mechanic did a good job.
Old 08-05-2009, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Donald199

what part is that?
Old 08-05-2009, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by randy021186
what part is that?
i pmed you
Old 08-05-2009, 10:54 PM

The rear valve cover gasket takes about 4 hours with some basic knowledge of cars. I have done it and it was not too bad. Just label all the parts you take off so you know where they go
Old 08-12-2009, 09:45 AM

can anyone give me a good write up for a first timer to replace the rear valve cover gasket? my knowledge about cars is limited (under the hood) but with pictures it would be alot easier
Old 08-12-2009, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by fourstaroots
can anyone give me a good write up for a first timer to replace the rear valve cover gasket? my knowledge about cars is limited (under the hood) but with pictures it would be alot easier
This will show you how to remove the upper intake manifold. Once you do that, removing the rear valve cover is straightforward.
Old 08-12-2009, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by ATTappman
This will show you how to remove the upper intake manifold. Once you do that, removing the rear valve cover is straightforward.
thanks alot bro!! PRECIATE IT!!
Old 08-18-2009, 06:01 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Sorry if I'm thread-jacking this one... Got one question before I get into this job:

Problems: Both Valve covers have slight leaks, rear much worse (firewall side). Was trying to avoid this job, but now I'm forced to get in there.

What I found doing a spark plug change... last plug, far right (driver side rear) was full of oil, can't even see the plug, I'm not going to pull the plug until I get a turkey baster in there or something to syphen the oil out.
(suggestions?)
Question: Do I need to replace the o-ring seals? The ones that I see seated in the actual valve cover?

Last edited by sleepless; 08-18-2009 at 06:19 AM.
Old 08-18-2009, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by sleepless
Question: Do I need to replace the o-ring seals? The ones that I see seated in the actual valve cover?
Yes, the one that failed definitely has to be replaced. In general when replacing the valve cover gaskets it's a good idea to replace the tube seals even if they aren't leaking yet.
Old 08-18-2009, 12:17 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Question on same image, what is this part here, attached to the bottom of throttle body
Mine is corroded to heck, I'm afraid to touch it, it's going to fall apart in pieces!
Old 08-18-2009, 03:36 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey guys. I have a 97 Max with 394k miles on it. I am just now having the major oil leak fixed (valves). It can get pretty messy. The whole bottom of my car was covered in oil. I am having both done and its costing me almost $800.00.

Quick Reply: rear valve cover gasket-repair info