4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

strange grind/squeak sound

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 08:29 AM

strange grind/squeak sound

I was driving to Orlando yesterday, and a little bit before I get to my friend's house I hear a strange grinding that is coming from the front driver side tire and at certain speeds it tends to squeak. It's causing some vibration in the steering wheel and and it's kinda scaring me. I know the tie rod needs to be changed, could that cause the grinding/squeak that i keep hearing.
Old 12-24-2008, 08:39 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Probably not.
Is it rotational?
Old 12-24-2008, 08:41 AM

Could be the CV joints are worn out.
Old 12-24-2008, 09:21 AM

it maybe just rotational, i mean i had the car up on some jack stands and didn't notice a grind when i was free spinning the tire, would the cv joint make such a sound like this though?
Old 12-24-2008, 09:29 AM

it could be a number of things. usually when a cv joint goes out it makes a popping noise when you take turns. it also could be a bad bearing or the brake pad could just be rubbing against the rotor.
Old 12-24-2008, 09:32 AM

cv joint usually pops but if the bolt on the end is lose i guess it could slide making a grinding noise...

your best bet is jacking it up and doing a visual check to see if anything is lose or doesnt look right, put it on neutral and give it a spin too. Your problem is most likely brakes or half shaft related
Old 12-24-2008, 09:48 AM

from the visual, i can see that the tie rod end is loose, and there is a slight popping when i am making left turns
Old 12-24-2008, 11:56 AM

sounds like a bad wheel bering to me jack the car up and check to see if there is any play of any sort from 12 o'clock to 3,6,9. pulling and pushing on the wheel. could be dangerous check asap
Old 12-24-2008, 06:10 PM

the only play that i found when the car was up on the jack stands today was at 3 and 9, when i found the movement at 12 and 6 it was cuz the axle nut was loose
Old 12-24-2008, 06:58 PM

i think you might have a bad bearing. if you can push and pull the wheel toward you and away then its mostly a bad bearing. im actually riding on a bad one now and i can pull it away and toward me about an inch or two when i jack it up.i plan on getting it fixed in a few days.
Old 12-24-2008, 07:08 PM

the bearing should be good because my cousin put on a new hub and bearing not too long ago
Old 12-24-2008, 08:17 PM

i dont no then. my next guess would be bad ball joint but you said it had a noise to it. a bad ball joint could make your car vibrate but wouldnt really make a noise. i would just jack it up and take your wheel off and inspect it and see if theres anything that looks abnormal. if you cant find whats wrong with it have it inspected by a mechanic.
Old 12-25-2008, 03:00 PM

i'll check it out tomorrow when there is light out again
Old 12-26-2008, 12:48 PM

so i jacked the car up and checked it again all i can see is a tie rod that needs to be replaced and probably the cv joints, i'll probably end up taking it to a shop to have it looked at. any suggestions on types of shops i should take it to have this looked at?
Old 12-28-2008, 07:20 AM

did you check and see if the cv boots were cracked. if they were then yes you probably have bad cv joints depending how long theyve been cracked
Old 12-28-2008, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by mistur_sleepyass
I was driving to Orlando yesterday, and a little bit before I get to my friend's house I hear a strange grinding that is coming from the front driver side tire and at certain speeds it tends to squeak. It's causing some vibration in the steering wheel and and it's kinda scaring me. I know the tie rod needs to be changed, could that cause the grinding/squeak that i keep hearing.
Come on guys! Jack it up first and check out your car b4 you start all this guessing game crap...Then if your stumped, then post a thread!
Old 12-28-2008, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by CMax03
Come on guys! Jack it up first and check out your car b4 you start all this guessing game crap...Then if your stumped, then post a thread!
i did have the car jacked up before i posted this up, i just did not state that i had it jacked up. all this happened after i had the car jacked up in the first place. and i've jacked up a few times since then. i'm doing all the guessing while the car is up on the jack stands and while i am driving because these sounds cannot be heard when i have the car up in the air rotating the tire by hand.

but back to the point to my thread, i noticed that sometimes when i step on the clutch to shift there is thunk. it sounds almost like you're throwing a rock at a half full water heater any suggestion?
Old 01-15-2009, 09:34 AM

Hey guys, I was having a similar problem to mistur_sleepyass, except the grinding / rubbing is coming from the right side. It's progressed quickly, originally it only made a wum wum wum wumwumwum sound under braking, and I thought the rotors were bad.

A little later, during a trip to Vegas I noticed a strange scratching / grinding coming from the wheel, like a piece of metal wire was caught in the brakes or something. I brought it in for routine service (rotate tires and oil change) and the scratching went away.

Then it started making the spinning wum wum sound without the breaks at freeway speeds, so I thought maybe the the lugs were loose (I just had the tired rotated). Not the case.

Well, yesterday it started making a rubbing / grinding sound at low speeds too. It went away after a bit so I was planning at getting it looked at end-of-week.

Now, my girlfriend texts me this morning (she has my car) and tells me she can't hardly turn the steering wheel.

Any thoughts?

P.s My car is an 03' SE auto with about 99k miles.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by viperxiv
Hey guys, I was having a similar problem to mistur_sleepyass, except the grinding / rubbing is coming from the right side. It's progressed quickly, originally it only made a wum wum wum wumwumwum sound under braking, and I thought the rotors were bad.

A little later, during a trip to Vegas I noticed a strange scratching / grinding coming from the wheel, like a piece of metal wire was caught in the brakes or something. I brought it in for routine service (rotate tires and oil change) and the scratching went away.

Then it started making the spinning wum wum sound without the breaks at freeway speeds, so I thought maybe the the lugs were loose (I just had the tired rotated). Not the case.

Well, yesterday it started making a rubbing / grinding sound at low speeds too. It went away after a bit so I was planning at getting it looked at end-of-week.

Now, my girlfriend texts me this morning (she has my car) and tells me she can't hardly turn the steering wheel.

Any thoughts?

P.s My car is an 03' SE auto with about 99k miles.
powersteering shot. Either the fluid has leaked out so low that it is squeeling when you take turns...or....well i'm not a mechanic lol so i can't offer anymore opinions