4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

coolant leak, cant find it??

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 05:35 PM

coolant leak, cant find it??

frickin lookin all over the engine and i know its not the rad cause i replaced it like 15 months ago with a new one. i did have an accident back in july of 08 but never saw it before it got cold out. if it sits for a day i see a small puddle after i drive it, could it be the cold affecting the coolants flow????i know my body shop would have checked it, its under the passenger side and just a hand size amount. thanks>>>
Old 01-05-2009, 05:49 PM
No more Maximas...

Exactly where under the passenger side? Does it look like it's dropping by the front cover, underneath the alt/AC?

Are you having issues with heat at all?
Old 01-05-2009, 05:50 PM

You more than likely need a water pump. The pump itself might be good still...but the "O-rings" that seal it are gone. I had that problem on my 99GLE, and for the life of me, i couldnt figure out where it came from. The coolant is leaking from a little "weep" hole that was designed to allow the coolant to escape in the event that your seal went bad.

Its not that bad a job to do....took me about and hour and a half to do mine. I recommend just changing the entire pump assembly.
Old 01-05-2009, 06:45 PM

it isnt bad enough for me to replace yet. level is ok and i just spent a foutune on some other repairs so im broke for a little while. its only once in awhile and a puddle that would fit in your hand. ill keep my eyes on the level and pray to the maxima gods she holds up.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by TLMNICK
You more than likely need a water pump. The pump itself might be good still...but the "O-rings" that seal it are gone. I had that problem on my 99GLE, and for the life of me, i couldnt figure out where it came from. The coolant is leaking from a little "weep" hole that was designed to allow the coolant to escape in the event that your seal went bad.

Its not that bad a job to do....took me about and hour and a half to do mine. I recommend just changing the entire pump assembly.
I agree it is most likely the pump, I had the same problem and with a UV dye in the coolant finally made it to the oil.

I totally disagree that it will take 1 1/2 hrs for the job, even a professional mechanic will take 3 hrs for the job (and it is a real badassss job).
Old 01-06-2009, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by Love_00_Max
I agree it is most likely the pump, I had the same problem and with a UV dye in the coolant finally made it to the oil.

I totally disagree that it will take 1 1/2 hrs for the job, even a professional mechanic will take 3 hrs for the job (and it is a real badassss job).
Its not that bad a job to do. You have to flush the oil out when you're finished, and that'll take about a half hour to 45 mins on its own, but the pump itself took no more than 1.5 hours to swap. Its a tight space, but if you have small hands, it helps a lot.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by max ride 41
it isnt bad enough for me to replace yet. level is ok and i just spent a foutune on some other repairs so im broke for a little while. its only once in awhile and a puddle that would fit in your hand. ill keep my eyes on the level and pray to the maxima gods she holds up.
even on a budget you can get a very good pump i bought mine from oreilly auto parts brand new life time warrenty for 50 bucks..it took me jus about all day to take the darn thing out and put it (i was bsing the job) but on a water pump job by ourself shoue take about 4 hours..its not that bad and if you coolant doesnt have any oil in it you can reuse it..so u can save some bucks their..and a shop of u arent good friends with the guy can hit you for as much as 700 to replace it or they tell u u need a new motor..and give you a sob story of how they have to take off the mounts and timing cover and tensior and all that jazz..
Old 01-07-2009, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by Double0Max
even on a budget you can get a very good pump i bought mine from oreilly auto parts brand new life time warrenty for 50 bucks..it took me jus about all day to take the darn thing out and put it (i was bsing the job) but on a water pump job by ourself shoue take about 4 hours..its not that bad and if you coolant doesnt have any oil in it you can reuse it..so u can save some bucks their..and a shop of u arent good friends with the guy can hit you for as much as 700 to replace it or they tell u u need a new motor..and give you a sob story of how they have to take off the mounts and timing cover and tensior and all that jazz..
remind me to not use your machanic, and i hardly think i would replace the block for a water pump. i take care of my max and know every inch of whats been done to her.
Old 01-07-2009, 06:38 PM

Me and my father did my water pump in about six hours its kinda scary but it was pretty easy
Old 01-21-2009, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by TLMNICK
Its not that bad a job to do. You have to flush the oil out when you're finished, and that'll take about a half hour to 45 mins on its own, but the pump itself took no more than 1.5 hours to swap. Its a tight space, but if you have small hands, it helps a lot.
Are there any instructions on how to do this? Does anything special need to be taken off to make the job easier?
Old 01-21-2009, 09:37 AM

remind me to not use your machanic, and i hardly think i would replace the block for a water pump. i take care of my max and know every inch of whats been done to her.
my mechanis awesome he does some work for me next to nothing..or he lets me use the shop and tools when i need to..its the other shade tree shops that suck i live in the greensboro nc so its mostly old guys that work on chevys and fords most their life..that dont have a clue
Old 01-21-2009, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by jtmaxima
Are there any instructions on how to do this? Does anything special need to be taken off to make the job easier?
yeah their is a how too in the sticky
Old 01-21-2009, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by jtmaxima
There isnt anything special that you'll need to take off....The smaller your hands are the easier it'll be for you though. If you have big hands, you might wanna undo the motor mount an raise the engine up a touch using a jack.

I havent seen the write-up on it, but I'm sure it'll explain all the neessary steps needed to get the job done.
Old 11-21-2010, 03:48 PM

I have a 1996 Nissan Maxima 3L with a coolent leak coming from the front of the engine, coming from under the alternator mount. I see what appears to be cylinder shaped tube directly under the alternator mount. A small spray of coolent sprays from a round or cirrcular groove on this tube. The tube appears to be some kind of coolent transfer tube running water from one side of the engine block to the other.
This coolent tube is directly over the oil pan and displays a leak which appears to be coming from between the A/C and alternator. Does anyone know what this tube is? why it wouldl be leaking? how to repair it? I have heard that some cars may have a power steering problem which relates to coolent leak under alternator.
http://www.fixya.com/cars/t1729533-leaking_coolant_alternator_bracket
I can see the tip of what appears be a bolt showing through on the right side (drivers view) of the engine where the belt runs. Have you ever heard of a coolent transfer tube under the alternator of a 1996 Nissan Maxima? This alternator mount is at least a foot or two from the water pump, some say its the water pump but how could the pump be involved so far from it?
Old 11-21-2010, 03:50 PM

1996 Nissan Maxima 3L with a coolent leak

frickin lookin all over the engine and i know its not the rad cause i replaced it like 15 months ago with a new one. i did have an accident back in july of 08 but never saw it before it got cold out. if it sits for a day i see a small puddle after i drive it, could it be the cold affecting the coolants flow????i know my body shop would have checked it, its under the passenger side and just a hand size amount. thanks>>>

I have a 1996 Nissan Maxima 3L with a coolent leak coming from the front of the engine, coming from under the alternator mount. I see what appears to be cylinder shaped tube directly under the alternator mount. A small spray of coolent sprays from a round or cirrcular groove on this tube. The tube appears to be some kind of coolent transfer tube running water from one side of the engine block to the other.
This coolent tube is directly over the oil pan and displays a leak which appears to be coming from between the A/C and alternator. Does anyone know what this tube is? why it wouldl be leaking? how to repair it? I have heard that some cars may have a power steering problem which relates to coolent leak under alternator.
I can see the tip of what appears be a bolt showing through on the right side (drivers view) of the engine where the belt runs. Have you ever heard of a coolent transfer tube under the alternator of a 1996 Nissan Maxima? This alternator mount is at least a foot or two from the water pump, some say its the water pump but how could the pump be involved so far from it?
Old 11-21-2010, 03:57 PM

1996 Nissan Maxima 3L with a coolent leak coming from under the alternator mount

Originally Posted by Love_00_Max

Old 11-21-2010, 04:01 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by kenai1234
The link you posted is for a GM, their engines (3100/3400/3800 in particular as noted in that link) are designed quite differently, and have a plastic coolant tube running behind the PS pump. Coolant and power steering have nothing to do with eachother otherwise, be it on that car or on ours.

Now are you talking about the bracket the upper part of the alternator bolts to, or the lower section where it mounts to the timing cover? Neither of those areas are anywhere near a 'foot or two' from the water pump.

There are coolant pipes along the front of the engine, but again, nowhere near the lower alternator mount (if that's what you're talking about). If you're seeing a leak between the alternator and compressor, then it's most likely the water pump.

Do you have a picture of exactly where you think the leak is? Can you explain exactly where you think the water pump is?

Also, there's no need to post the same question three times in a single thread. Post once, post thrice, we see it all the same.
Old 11-21-2010, 04:12 PM
"I'm just sayin'..."

Originally Posted by pmohr
The link you posted is for a GM, their engines (3100/3400/3800 in particular as noted in that link) are designed quite differently, and have a plastic coolant tube running behind the PS pump. Coolant and power steering have nothing to do with eachother otherwise, be it on that car or on ours.

Now are you talking about the bracket the upper part of the alternator bolts to, or the lower section where it mounts to the timing cover? Neither of those areas are anywhere near a 'foot or two' from the water pump.

There are coolant pipes along the front of the engine, but again, nowhere near the lower alternator mount (if that's what you're talking about). If you're seeing a leak between the alternator and compressor, then it's most likely the water pump.

Do you have a picture of exactly where you think the leak is? Can you explain exactly where you think the water pump is?

Also, there's no need to post the same question three times in a single thread. Post once, post thrice, we see it all the same.
this.

BTW OP: I believe pmohr's wisdom on this subject is found in all three of the links I posted for you.
Old 11-22-2010, 04:07 PM

coolent leak coming from metal tube within alternator mount

------------------------------------------
This alternator mount is far enough from the water pump to where it is very hard to believe that the pump is the problem.
I can see the coolent leak directly coming from a metal tube within the alternator mount. The tube is about 3/8 inch in dia. with a small circular groove running around the tube in the spot where it is leaking. This tube is around the corner from the water pump and on the front of the engine just behind the radiator. Using a tig on this tube would be almost impossible because the leaking tube is surrounded by the alternator mount, its even hard to just see the leak with a flash light.
Saw where one guy claimed it has something to do with the power steering pump, think it was GM site where they said it involved an o ring repair on the pump somehow...
Old 11-22-2010, 04:31 PM

a picture of exactly where you think the leak is?

------------------------
PARTS LOCATIONS
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...SAN_VQ30DE.jpg

Within the link pic. view the V6 3000 engine label and visually follow the black background label to the left by projecting it and that is where the water pump is located. The coolent leak is located under where you can see the round yellow handle ring oil dip-stick, this stick is between the front of the engine and the radiator. The leak is coming from a location about a foot under the yellow dip-stick, by gravity, and flows from within the alternator mount.

Last edited by kenai1234; 11-22-2010 at 04:41 PM.
Old 11-22-2010, 04:50 PM

upper alternator main bolt

------------------------------------------
The coolent leak is coming from the upper alternator main bolt not the lower section which mounts to the timing cover. I paid a mech. a hundred bucks to tell me that the leak was not from the pump but coming from above the pump. I located it coming from within the alternator mount and flowing down the A/C mount plate and then dribbling onto the oil pan.
Old 11-22-2010, 06:50 PM
"I'm just sayin'..."

Good grief, kenai1234. Stop post-whoring! If you want to argue with people that are giving you answers, then take the thing apart, find what's wrong, post some photos, and help us all learn something new. Otherwise, stop already.

BTW, I'm posting this in both threads.
Old 11-22-2010, 06:56 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by kenai1234
The coolent leak is coming from the upper alternator main bolt not the lower section which mounts to the timing cover. I paid a mech. a hundred bucks to tell me that the leak was not from the pump but coming from above the pump. I located it coming from within the alternator mount and flowing down the A/C mount plate and then dribbling onto the oil pan.
There is no coolant path located where the upper alternator mounting bolt is.

Looking past all of your inaccurate descriptions about the thermostat being on the 'backside' of the motor, and the water pump being 'several feet' away from the front coolant transfer tubes, I'll assume you're talking about them.

If it's leaking from where the tube meets the distribution block on the engine block, then replace the o-ring on the tube itself. If it's not leaking from the o-ring, then replace either the tube or the distribution block.

An actual picture of exactly where you think this leak is coming from is the best way to get an actual answer.

Also note that replying a dozen times does nothing more than clutter up the thread and make it harder for others to reply to you. Learn how to use the actual reply function, and try to keep it all contained in one post to make it easier for others to help. Not to mention giving different information in at least two different threads...
Old 11-22-2010, 08:00 PM

take the thing apart?

Originally Posted by nelledge
Good grief, kenai1234. Stop post-whoring! If you want to argue with people that are giving you answers, then take the thing apart, find what's wrong, post some photos, and help us all learn something new. Otherwise, stop already.

BTW, I'm posting this in both threads.
-------------------------------------------------
I have taken apart everything that I can, removed alternator & A/C compressor. I can see no way to access this leaking coolent tube. I can just bearly see the leak with a flashlight, you have to look inside the alternator mount through slots in the mount about a 1/4 inch wide. The leaking tube is 1/2 inch beyond the slot, inside the alternator mount. Engine has 112,000 on it and was being store outside in freezing conditions when it just began leaking from this tube within the alternator mount. I will attempt to only respond to this tread to avoid any tread confusion. no digital pics yet but trying. thank you.
Old 11-22-2010, 08:13 PM

replace the o-ring, distribution block?

[quote=pmohr;7823545]There is no coolant path located where the upper alternator mounting bolt is.

If it's leaking from where the tube meets the distribution block on the engine block, then replace the o-ring on the tube itself. If it's not leaking from the o-ring, then replace either the tube or the distribution block.

An actual picture of exactly where you think this leak is coming from is the best way to get an actual answer.
--------------------------------------
Right, who would think Nissan would put a coolent tube within an upper alternator mount? Well they did, its not easy to see but its some kind of tube with a cirrcular groove on it which is now leaking. I am just trying to find anyone who has seen or heard of this coolent tube. I can find zero info. online regarding a upper alternator mount coolent line but if it not a coolent line what is it? It looks like a tube inside the mount.
I do not know where the coolent distribution block is at on the engine block. I do not know where any o-ring is located on the tube. The leak is coming from a cirrcular groove on tube but is that an o-ring? I need to remove the tube in order to replace it and there appears to be no way to remove the tube. I will try to get a pic..
Old 11-22-2010, 09:05 PM

Information Correction, no coolant path within the upper alternator mount.

[quote=pmohr;7823545]There is no coolant path located where the upper alternator mounting bolt is.
-------------------------------------

Information Correction. I agree, there is no coolant path within the upper alternator mount. The alternator mount which is leaking coolant is the one which is heavier and the lowest, not the upper lighter mount.
Also the coolant tubing appears to actually be part of the block or the timing plate cover, can't really tell. I don't think this is tubing under the alternator plate.
Maybe the timing plate cover needs to be removed to access this coolant passage under the lower alternator mount.
It appears to be leaking coolant from a raised part of the engine block, just under the lower alternator mount. There appears to be either a crack or something else within this coolant passage. Anyone agree that the timing plate cover needs to come off to see what is going on under the alternator mount?
Old 11-22-2010, 09:18 PM
"I'm just sayin'..."

Please, buddy. Help us out here. Just one good photo.
Old 11-23-2010, 04:38 AM

on my 99, thought it needed a pump. small puddle of green under right side of motor. tracked the leak up to top of the motor. it was a short small hose.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:19 PM

water pump can be going bad as im sure pmohr has mentioned in previous posts. you get a few drips under passenger side where there is a small hole for overflow so it seeps out. happens to me every time it gets cold out.