4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Help me with the Suggestions on my 1996 IVth Gen Maxima Project

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 05:58 PM

Help me with the Suggestions on my 1996 IVth Gen Maxima Project

My name is Evgeni and I am 17 years old. I have bought two 1996 Nissan Maximas from my friend for 800$ .

The 1st one is black on black, leather, automatic and the body is in mint condition.

The 2nd one is Golden color, cloth interior, manual, and it is for parts.
Both of cars don't start. That means that i will have to rebuild the engine on the black one.

I am not familiar with the engine upgrades for Maximas, so I want to know what are the good things that I can do to the engine to make it more powerful and make it last longer.

I am posting this thread to ask people to share the suggestions for my project, what to do and what not to do. I don't want to make stupid decisions and destroy the car.

The things that I want to ask:

I want to know what is the maximum power that Maximas VQ engines can take before the parts will start to fail?

What are some good engine parts; gasskets, pistons, fuel ingectors, cranks to squeeze out the best N/A out of it?

How to feed up the car to a bigger volume, say 3.5 or more?

Can I swap the manual transmission on to the engine that had automatic transmission? I know that there are things to be changed like pedals, flywheel, clutch etc... I just want to know if its possible to make it happen.

What is the best height drop for the Maxima? So I can use it in the mild Canadian winter conditions, and at high speeds on th race track in summer.

What are the some good brakes for the Maxima? I heard it was 300zx?

What will make Maxima handle good?

What will make it Sound agressive?

What are some good undetectible radars, TV's, alarm systems, remote starters etc...

You think its possible to put in the sunroof?

Where to get the parts with best quality and reasonable price?

Anything would help.

I am planning on spending about 4000$ on the project.

Thank you for your time reading it and have a Happy new year!

Last edited by Evgeniy; 01-07-2009 at 06:33 PM.
Old 01-07-2009, 06:21 PM

u definetly need to use the search on this site cuz u asked a months full of questions there. search is ur best bet if u want detailed answers on all of ur questions.
Old 01-07-2009, 06:28 PM

How did he post a new topic? I thought there was some rule about 15 posts or something??? He only has 6, I have 9 and it won't let me do it...
Old 01-07-2009, 06:32 PM

definitely keep the black on black leather and put in the manual transmission on that one
*maintenance first. make sure the car starts before you buy mods
Old 01-07-2009, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by Evgeniy
I have posted 15 posts, and after that I posted this thread, and after tht it went back to 0, and since then now its 6.
Ah, I see. It resets to 0.
Old 01-07-2009, 07:08 PM
No more Maximas...

Post count wouldn't automatically reset, they were most likely deleted.

In any case, the answer to your ridiculously long post is to search, every single bit of that information has been covered on this forum numerous times.

The 1st one is black on black, leather, automatic and the body is in mint condition.

The 2nd one is Golden color, cloth interior, manual, and it is for parts.
Both of cars don't start. That means that i will have to rebuild the engine on the black one.
How does not being able to start mean you have to rebuild the engine? Have you done any other diagnostics?

The things that I want to ask:

I want to know what is the maximum power that Maximas VQ engines can take before the parts will start to fail?
Depends on what you're doing with it, how you tune it, and most importantly how you drive it. VQ35 is around ~450whp, or thereabouts.

What are some good engine parts; gasskets, pistons, fuel ingectors, cranks to squeeze out the best N/A out of it?
No reason to upgrade injectors for NA, you could go with an AEBS stroker kit if you absolutely wanted to keep it NA.

How to feed up the car to a bigger volume, say 3.5 or more?
Have it bored out, but a VQ30 isn't worth the time or money to do that; just swap in a VQ35.

Can I swap the manual transmission on to the engine that had automatic transmission? I know that there are things to be changed like pedals, flywheel, clutch etc... I just want to know if its possible to make it happen.
Any car that's available in both, it's easy to do. Cars that came auto only, it's still possible, just more of a PITA.

What is the best height drop for the Maxima? So I can use it in the mild Canadian winter conditions, and at high speeds on th race track in summer.
That's purely personal preference. Also, height does not necessarily have a correlation with suspension performance.

What are the some good brakes for the Maxima? I heard it was 300zx?
A Z32 BBK is fine, search around, there are a bunch of BBKs.

What will make Maxima handle good?
It's handle well, and once again that's subjective as to what 'well' means. Search around for this, subframe bracing, struts and springs or coilovers, FSTB/RSTB/RSB, etc.

What will make it Sound agressive?
You're asking a lot of subjective questions. One man's rice rocket is another man's muscle car, sadly.

What are some good undetectible radars, TV's, alarm systems, remote starters etc...
What do you mean 'undetectible'? You also list several different categories of electronics. Elaborate or search.

You think its possible to put in the sunroof?
Of course it is. I wouldn't recommend it, you'll almost undoubtedly end up with leaks and with a car that's less structurally stable than either a slicktop or a OEM-sunroof equipped vehicle.

Where to get the parts with best quality and reasonable price?
Since we don't drive Z33s, DC5s or anything of the sort, there's no one site that sells all of our mods. There aren't that many companies out there that support the A32. Search around, most of your purchases can be made on the org.

I am planning on spending about 4000$ on the project.
If you're looking for a dramatic increase in power with a VQ30, NA isn't your best bet. Especially for $4k.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:09 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Originally Posted by pmohr
How does not being able to start mean you have to rebuild the engine? Have you done any other diagnostics?

My thoughts as well...
Old 01-08-2009, 07:19 AM
The Golden One

While I commend you for knowing how to actually type a legible post at the tender age of 17 (most kids these days suck at english, and I'm an immigrant)...you really need to use the resources at hand. Meaning, search. Everything is there. Once you have a working knowledge of a mod/part or idea, if you still have questions that weren't answered by searching...then you can post and ask.

Most of your questions relate to personal preference anyway....
Old 01-08-2009, 07:32 AM

No matter what, and I mean no matter what under ANY circumstances, should what we say make a difference to you about what you do to your car. At the end of the day, I am not going to be the driving it, so I could care less what you do to your car. I personally have been thinking of getting a Maxima here soon and I would start with a good suspension set up (coilovers?, bushings, ball joints etc) then the brakes (full Z32 set up with SS lines and Hawk pads) and maybe a good seat/clutch setup and daily it and then take it to an autocross. But that is just me. Then when the engine goes bye-bye, 3.5 FTMFW!!!
Old 01-08-2009, 07:56 AM

If you've got 4 g's to spend, just buy this 5-speed-sunroof-already-dropped-rimmed-kitted for 3500 obo, swap the seats, and save your time and your two cars for parts.

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...QAdIdZ97791678
Old 01-08-2009, 08:40 AM

yea i think you will be surprised about how much you can buy with $4000. even if your going to to everything yourself; quality parts can be costly. I helps that you have 2 cars to work with but it sounds like you are biting off more than you can chew with a 4k budget. Good luck though.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:45 AM
Administrator

Holy list of questions batman!!

Search is your friend, and read the stickies in each forum.... 4th Gen/Suspension/Force Induction/All Motor etc. You'll learn a ton.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:56 AM

Yep^^....Its all here though bro....just search and the answers will all start popping up.Welcome to the Org.
Old 01-08-2009, 01:25 PM
Sold

side note... wizard I am liking the new signature. looks good!
If the engines are truly toast and its not a starting related issue, it's time to hit a junk yard and find yourself a 3.5VQ.
Start spending serious amounts of time in the allmotor section on this forum and you will be miles ahead.