4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

fuel hoses leaking.....

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 08:15 PM

fuel hoses leaking.....

allright, facing the motor, the little short one to the left of the block, and the dealer also said there's another one leaking too, wont know which one until i pick up car monday. they want 256.00 to fix and said its 2 hours to do. what rubber fuel line could take 2 hours to get to???? they're NOT doing the work, but im curious to know which one takes so much time to get to. i looked it up, cant seem to find one thats that buried. anybody????
Old 01-17-2009, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by max ride 41
allright, facing the motor, the little short one to the left of the block, and the dealer also said there's another one leaking too, wont know which one until i pick up car monday. they want 256.00 to fix and said its 2 hours to do. what rubber fuel line could take 2 hours to get to???? they're NOT doing the work, but im curious to know which one takes so much time to get to. i looked it up, cant seem to find one thats that buried. anybody????
uhh the power steering hoses? only 1 i can think of off the top of my head.
yeh, need to know which hoses for sure. $256 sounds really stupid.
just pick up like a yard of fuel line hose at advance and do it yourself.

subscribed for what nissan has to say
Old 01-17-2009, 08:53 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

if you replace FUEL HOSES yourself, try to find the metric size 7.9mm or 8mm inside diameter for the best fit and less chance of repeat leaks soon. and at that size it's a pita
to do, but not a couple hours unless you do them all. the fight is to get them back on, even w/spray lube. i just replaced the one between the front rail & the regulator. nissan hose lasted a long time, hope the one from gates does also. probably the hardest to do is the one at the bottom of the filter.
Old 01-17-2009, 09:16 PM
No more Maximas...

Well if they're replacing the crossover hose that goes from one rail to the other, they'll likely bill you for removing the UIM and the fuel rails to do it on the bench. Mine actually started leaking a few days ago, now that it's down to single digit temps around here. It stops leaking once it warms up, so I'm just waiting for a warmer day to get around to replacing it.

The hose I mentioned above can be done without taking apart anything, but it's a little cramped between the timing cover and the UIM. There's also the filter-hard line, hard line-rail, regulator-hard line, and hard line to the back of the car. The last one is quite long IIRC, and will take a bit of time to do. If they're doing any of the fuel lines that feed and return from the rail, they'll have to remove all of the intake tubing, which adds time.

Personally I got rid of that whole vacuum piping/fuel hard line crap, ran a hose straight from the filter to the rail and another hose from the regulator to a coupler that connects to the stock return line.
Old 01-17-2009, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by pmohr
Well if they're replacing the crossover hose that goes from one rail to the other, they'll likely bill you for removing the UIM and the fuel rails to do it on the bench. Mine actually started leaking a few days ago, now that it's down to single digit temps around here. It stops leaking once it warms up, so I'm just waiting for a warmer day to get around to replacing it.

The hose I mentioned above can be done without taking apart anything, but it's a little cramped between the timing cover and the UIM. There's also the filter-hard line, hard line-rail, regulator-hard line, and hard line to the back of the car. The last one is quite long IIRC, and will take a bit of time to do. If they're doing any of the fuel lines that feed and return from the rail, they'll have to remove all of the intake tubing, which adds time.

Personally I got rid of that whole vacuum piping/fuel hard line crap, ran a hose straight from the filter to the rail and another hose from the regulator to a coupler that connects to the stock return line.
any chance you have pics of fuel hoses in the above for-mentioned lines???? id be interested to see how it looks with hoses before and after you got rid of them. cant seem to find and good pics of fuel lines close up.
Old 01-17-2009, 11:06 PM
No more Maximas...

any chance you have pics of fuel hoses in the above for-mentioned lines???? id be interested to see how it looks with hoses before and after you got rid of them. cant seem to find and good pics of fuel lines close up.
Don't really have any pics of that, but I'll see if I can't take a few pics when I do my lines within the next few days. I also removed EGR and EVAP, so the entire vacuum gallery there is useless for me; extra complicated crap that's unnecessary.