4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

strange starting issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 09:41 PM

strange starting issues

so after having all the work done to my car and having a successful test drive, my mechanic calls me to say that my car is good to come and pick up. well i arrive to get it and the car was hooked up to a battery charger and they are trying to get it started again. we kept cranking it to try and get it started and it wouldn't start. we checked the compression and it was good, the fuel injectors are good and each cylinder is getting enough fuel, the spark plugs could use a change but they weren't too bad. the only actual problem that we saw was that coil pack 1 was not firing. but we then switched that coil pack to cylinder 2 and it fired properly. we eventually narrowed it down to an electrical problem but we can't pinpoint it our main idea was that it's either a computer problem or the harness is messed up somewhere and may need to be replaced. any ideas?
Old 01-18-2009, 09:53 PM

Bad ground?
Old 01-18-2009, 10:08 PM

Any codes? Starter could be dead.

What work did you have done to your car? They should double check the work to make sure all sensors, grounds, and wires are back. Sometimes they might mislook it.
Old 01-18-2009, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by petro2342
Any codes? Starter could be dead.

What work did you have done to your car? They should double check the work to make sure all sensors, grounds, and wires are back. Sometimes they might mislook it.
the only code that it throws is for my lack of a catalytic converter, i asked if it could be the starter and they said that it was fine.

i had the slave cylinder and the lines for it replaced and new clutch kit and a fly wheel. they said everything looked fine the most they had to do when they first got the car started was hold the hood switch down. he's gonna check for bad grounds and what not tomorrow. i just wanted to get some idea so i can have him check other stuff too
Old 01-19-2009, 12:14 AM
No more Maximas...

How did you get a rear coilpack connected to the front bank? IIRC the harness isn't long enough to reach the top of a rear coil.

Your last post implies that it starts now, so does it start, or are you still having starting problems?

No reason to hold the hood switch down to start the car, unless they're using a remote start wired up to it, or your stock alarm is malfunctioning.

The only thing they would've removed to do the work they did is the CKPS POS. If that were damaged, they didn't swap the timing ring over, or they left it unplugged, you wouldn't be getting spark at all.

Honestly trying to diagnose a starting issue is hard enough over the internet, much less one that you're not even working on yourself, and you're relying on what the shop is telling you. Let the shop take care of it, if they're half decent they'll figure it out.
Old 01-20-2009, 08:54 PM

Check for bad grounds....and although you might not be throwing codes....check your cam position sensor....That'll cause your car to crank forever with no start.

I know these cars act real strange with bad grounds. Check the two grounding points on the motor itself (by the intake manifold), the one right behind the passenger headlight, and of course the one going from the battery down to the body...and onto the engine itself.

trying to diagnose starting issues without the car in front of me is a PITA.