4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

catalytic converter/ exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 02:42 PM

catalytic converter/ exhaust

One of the things i plan to do w/ my income tax return is to fix my exhaust which is pretty rusted out and about 6" from the ground ( all mounts rusted off). Sometimes my car reeks when im driving (going up big hills especially). While i was replacing my exhaust i was wondering how difficult its gonna be to replace the catalytic converter.

I read in a thread that you can go to a muffler shop and have them replace the bolts from the cat to the Y pipe because they will be very rusted and hard to get out.

Also, i was wondering what happenes to the sensor thats in the cat right now. Is that pressed in our anything and will i be able to get it out withot wishing i had jsut left the catalytic converter on?

Im sure there is a post about this somewhere but i looked for about 10 minutes and couldnt really find anything. Its not a hard question and im sure i could figure it out for myself but ide appreciate atleast a little feedback from someone who has done it before...

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-19-2009, 02:57 PM
No more Maximas...

Yes, the studs will likely break off, or you'll round off the nuts for the converter if it's never been removed before. They'll probably be rusted to all hell.

The O2 sensor is just threaded in, like any O2 sensor. Use the proper socket if you plan on keeping it, try not to round off the flats.

So you're getting a new exhaust and a new converter? If so, why even worry about how bad the current one is? Unless you're keeping the stock Y, or the stock B pipe.

Anyway yes, take a look at it, if it's all rusted (which it will be) then take it to a shop, have them torch out the old studs and replace it with bolts and nuts.
Old 01-19-2009, 04:54 PM

So you're getting a new exhaust and a new converter? If so, why even worry about how bad the current one is? Unless you're keeping the stock Y, or the stock B pipe.

Yea i was just planning on replacing the converter and everything behind it. Its to much work and money to replace everything else. Is that a bad idea?
Old 01-19-2009, 04:57 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by ThreePointO
Yea i was just planning on replacing the converter and everything behind it. Its to much work and to replace everything else. Is that a bad idea?
You should use the quote feature, otherwise you just confuse people. It's easier than copy and pasting part of a post, anyway.

What do you mean 'it's to much work and to replace everything else'? You mean it's 'too much work' to replace the Y as well? That's the only other exhaust component you aren't replacing by what you said (except for the manifolds of course, but that's another story).

If you still have the stock Y, now would be a good time to throw an aftermarket piece in there, get some more power.
Old 01-19-2009, 05:05 PM

yea idk what happened i did use the quote thing, i dont kno y it didnt work.

Im not so concerned for power as just everything working. Is the y pipe difficult to replace? Im in college and i dont have tons of money to throw into this car. Im just trying to fix the things which need fixing and do a little bit of upgrade but not a ton. I kno how to do some mechanical work but im no pro... I took a look under my car eariler and it looked like the pipe in front of the converter wasnt metal it looked like a mesh materal... Is that how its supposed ot look?
Old 01-19-2009, 05:13 PM
No more Maximas...

yea idk what happened i did use the quote thing, i dont kno y it didnt work.

Im not so concerned for power as just everything working. Is the y pipe difficult to replace? Im in college and i dont have tons of money to throw into this car. Im just trying to fix the things which need fixing and do a little bit of upgrade but not a ton. I kno how to do some mechanical work but im no pro... I took a look under my car eariler and it looked like the pipe in front of the converter wasnt metal it looked like a mesh materal... Is that how its supposed ot look?
Yes, there's supposed to be a flex pipe there. Without it you would be cracking welds on the exhaust because of engine movement.

A Y can be found for ~$200 new, a bit less used. It's only 3 14mm head nuts that connect it to the manifolds, and 2 12mm head bolts on the support. Doesn't take that long to replace it, and it's one of the best starter mods to do, for HP/$.

What exactly is wrong with the exhaust? You can find aftermarket exhausts on here for relatively cheap, or just go with an OE style aftermarket like Bosal, Walker, etc.
Old 01-19-2009, 05:19 PM

My exhaust is rusting badly. The resonator on the end is rusted through completely (now that i hit it with a screwdriver). All the mounts are rusted apart from the car and its now being held up with mechanics wire about 8" off the ground. The only thing concerning me was how the new exhaust would be held up since the owner before me cut the rubber mounts off the brackets on the car other then the one holding the resonator @ the end.
Old 01-19-2009, 05:21 PM
No more Maximas...

My exhaust is rusting badly. The resonator on the end is rusted through completely (now that i hit it with a screwdriver). All the mounts are rusted apart from the car and its now being held up with mechanics wire about 8" off the ground. The only thing concerning me was how the new exhaust would be held up since the owner before me cut the rubber mounts off the brackets on the car other then the one holding the resonator @ the end.
If he cut the rubber hangers off, then just get new ones
Old 01-19-2009, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by pmohr
If he cut the rubber hangers off, then just get new ones
yea i realized that.

Is it gonna b the same deal w/ the bolts going to the exhaust manifolds from the y pipe? should i go to a shop and have them put new bolts in so they are easier to take out? As long as im actually gonna be able to get to all the bolts its looking like it will be worth it to just do it all. It will actually be easier to just take the whole thing out and replacing it all will be easier then trying to save 12 year old parts.
Old 01-19-2009, 05:46 PM
No more Maximas...

yea i realized that.

Is it gonna b the same deal w/ the bolts going to the exhaust manifolds from the y pipe? should i go to a shop and have them put new bolts in so they are easier to take out? As long as im actually gonna be able to get to all the bolts its looking like it will be worth it to just do it all. It will actually be easier to just take the whole thing out and replacing it all will be easier then trying to save 12 year old parts.
Exactly, even the Y is most likely leaking (at the flex pipe, as they tend to do).

No, the Y-manifold nuts shouldn't be rusted on too badly. A long extension, swivel, and 14mm socket is all you need. An aftermarket Y is a lot easier to put on, because of how slim it is without the precats.
Old 01-19-2009, 05:59 PM

Take a good look at your y-pipe and cat, unless they are leaking you may not need to change them. The rear half of the exhaust, which is the B-pipe and muffler is what usually goes. Have a muffler shop look at it, most places will inspect it and give you an estimate for free. You can save money by having them do some of the tough stuff like torching those bolts and fixing your hangers while you do the other stuff on your own.

Last edited by Nopike; 01-19-2009 at 06:02 PM.
Old 01-19-2009, 06:21 PM

i think im just going to do the entire thing: y pipe, converter, resonator, muffler, and b pipe. I think i should just be able to buy a y-pipe kit w/ a converter and an exhaust kit and then the exhaust will just be all buttoned up and looking and sounding good, not to mention more power. always a plus

Am i going to run into any problems without the pre cats on?

Last edited by ThreePointO; 01-19-2009 at 06:23 PM.