4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Ignore or fix? EGR and Knock Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 11:56 PM

My black maxima has the ks code and its been on since i got the car over a year ago.
My green maxima has had it replaced when i bought it and the two cars are hugely different in performance.

Eventually I'll get around to installing it into the car, but im not really worried about it
since the car is never really pushed hard at all. Besides I just put 3 new coils in it ^^
Old 06-02-2010, 07:13 PM

...yes.if EGR is clogged.which is the metal tube between intake manifold & the EGR valve..you will having pinging even @ times with using premium gas and if your KS is good. Clean out the EGR tube, use a 512k ohm resistor to jump the Knock sensor if you dont want to replace it, use 91+ octane = no more ping .power and you have your good gas mileage back. I 've done it..no problem.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by defiance
My black maxima has the ks code and its been on since i got the car over a year ago.
My green maxima has had it replaced when i bought it and the two cars are hugely different in performance.

Eventually I'll get around to installing it into the car, but im not really worried about it
since the car is never really pushed hard at all. Besides I just put 3 new coils in it ^^
...in the mean time,,just jump the bad knock sensor @ the connector, I used two 1meg ohm resistors in parallel this cuts the resistance in half,you need 500k ohms...unless you can find and use one 500k ohm resistor...get resistor @ Radio Shack.

you will get instant performance,but only use 91 or higher octane since the ECM will not be detecting pings if using regular gas with the resistor fix...a nice temporary or permanent fix in my case, i've had the resistor in there for @ least 50k miles...I just replaced a bad #5 injector which is under the upper intake manifold, while at it cleaned that clogged EGR tube....car flies!! 213,000 miles. & no pinging what so ever.

Last edited by philly96maxima; 06-02-2010 at 07:34 PM.
Old 06-12-2010, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by paul2112
Thanks for all of your responses. I'm gonna keep my eye on my fuel mileage and take it from there. Like I said before it was weird, me SES light was on for a year and then one frigid week it went off and I was able to get through inspection. I don't have to go back until 2011 so I'm good with that.
You knock sensor caused the CEL/SES - (though I've thought it was Check Engine Light)... to go OFF, mine just did the same thing, however due to my CEL being on for O2 Sensors, and the sudden bad acceleration, I'm having to get it all fixed...
Old 06-12-2010, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by SiathLinux
You knock sensor caused the CEL/SES - (though I've thought it was Check Engine Light)... to go OFF, mine just did the same thing, however due to my CEL being on for O2 Sensors, and the sudden bad acceleration, I'm having to get it all fixed...
Knock sensor WILL NOT trigger a CEL, nor will installing a new one turn it off (if thats what you mean). Bad O2 sensors will cause the CEL to turn on, and cause bad acceleration as well.