4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

suggestions regarding p1400 code

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 01:24 PM

suggestions regarding p1400 code

alright so following morning after i fixed my knock sensor my mil came on...its for the egr-c solenoid valve...i decided to undo the harness to the egr solenoid valve so i could get a better angle at reaching into the knock sensor..but what happened is that the clip/locking plastic part of the harness broke so the harness wouldnt stay on the solenoid and wouldnt lock in...anyways from this im sure its an easy answer of just getting the harness part to fix this but i convinced myself that i've made a remedy that might trow this case a curve ball...i basically ziptied the harness on to the solenoid that way it stays on....here is a picture to see it better...

this made it snug and wouldn't come off so i would think this would take the code away so i resetted it and it came back on....now either this harness part is the problem or the actual solenoid thats the problem...

i could go two ways

1. either i could find the harness clip thingy with a pigtail from a parts car and cut mine and solder the good clip...the downside tho is that ill have to cut and solder wires and stuff and could be bad...

2. i could go ahead and buy the solenoid part itself and hope that this could be the problem...the downside is that this part might be good because its quite a stretch that right after i fixed the knock sensor this code came on...

so i need advice to get through this...lol

i hope this is clear...

Last edited by ruckus1027; 02-15-2009 at 01:27 PM.
Old 02-16-2009, 06:42 PM

no one wants to help out?
Old 02-16-2009, 06:59 PM
Willing to learn

So, the zip tie method, huh?

If executed properly, it will work fine. I've done it many times. Are you sure the solenoid connection is your problem?

What was the exact code, or are you simply guessing here?
Old 02-16-2009, 08:27 PM

well...i thought it would work fine..but its not...

as far as being sure im not positive...i do think its pretty far fetched that right after i break the clip when i worked on the knock sensor that the solenoid would break so i went the connection route...but it does have a 1400 code witch is the solenoid itself..from the fsm it says that possible culprits are harness/connectors or solenoid valve itself...i just find it hard to believe that right before i worked on the ks the code is not there then right after its there leading me to think its the connector...i hope this was pretty understandable...
Old 02-17-2009, 12:46 AM

haha, im not sure who it was but me and a fellow Org'er had this very conversation... when we replace our KS's we tend to be a bit rough with the EGR Sol sitting ever so close to the soon to be Bloody IM. I personally had good luck with jittering the connections... I still sporatically get the EGR code though =\ . you might have to rplace it soon..

IMOP just try unplugging all of it, and startng from scratch connecting everyhting properly.. and if the connector is having a problem holding on... try something.. like ducttape
Old 02-17-2009, 07:20 AM

hmmm...i see...well i've been so busy with work and school but this week im not working at all...so i guess ill stop being lazy and actually do some tinkering and diagnosing...instead of just asking around.....ill post some results...
Old 02-27-2009, 07:57 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Euhh I attempted to do the same thing today, well.. Short of zip tying. I unplugged the harness so I could get to the knock sensor easier(which, in the end, I still was unable to get off of there..). Since I wasnt even able to f* with the knock sensor I figured all would be well. Not so. Would this cause the car to not start? Tried to unplug & replug but its stilled effed. But I get the 1005 code so Im guessing theres still somethin up with it?