4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

'99 Engine Problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 09:22 PM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

'99 Engine Problem

Hi everyone,
I'm posting this thread to help out Pleckaitis:

i was wondering if anyone could help me at all with this engine problem i have.

the skinny on what it is doing is: once warm,and has been turned off, then back on again. with low revs (1500rpm) going over 50 km/h with OD on. i can feel the car shuddering (not running smoothly). the rpm gauge does not move, but i can feel the engine. there are no codes being thrown. though, before the #6 cylinder had been coming up as misfiring, but had just been replaced. i have looked up a lot of different posts, and i cant seem to find any answers.

the car has been thoroughly looked at by a trusted independent mechanic, and doesn't know what else he can do. all coils are working, checked and moved around injectors. new plugs (ngk iridium). checked and clean crank sensors, and other sensors. he basically said he can't do anything else. i used 91 octane fuel.
Old 03-07-2009, 09:31 PM

I'm gonna guess TC. Seems like i've had this issue before with my Camaro if I recall correctly. I had that trans for 5 months and it broke 4 TIMES finally just buying a whole new trans from a different car. f' that. that's my .02 tho
Old 03-09-2009, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by BlackCat
Hi everyone,
I'm posting this thread to help out Pleckaitis:

i was wondering if anyone could help me at all with this engine problem i have.

the skinny on what it is doing is: once warm,and has been turned off, then back on again. with low revs (1500rpm) going over 50 km/h with OD on. i can feel the car shuddering (not running smoothly). the rpm gauge does not move, but i can feel the engine. there are no codes being thrown. though, before the #6 cylinder had been coming up as misfiring, but had just been replaced. i have looked up a lot of different posts, and i cant seem to find any answers.

the car has been thoroughly looked at by a trusted independent mechanic, and doesn't know what else he can do. all coils are working, checked and moved around injectors. new plugs (ngk iridium). checked and clean crank sensors, and other sensors. he basically said he can't do anything else. i used 91 octane fuel.
i would take it to another mechanic..............i had the same problems like you describing and i changed 2 coil packs...02 sensor and new spark plugs......running fine now.............

could be your MAF, injectors, vacuum, i would get it checked again.
Old 03-09-2009, 09:31 AM

Could be a coil pack, if that is the case it's going to eventually start missing while idling at a stoplight too.
Old 03-09-2009, 11:34 AM

You said the RPM gauge does not move...is this true when you're giving it gas? It sounds like your TC isnt unlocking when its supposed to. If your TC is locked up at 50 km/h, you will be lugging the engine which will cause the entire car to shudder. Try driving around with the OD off and see if you can replicate it.
Old 03-14-2009, 04:10 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

thanks for the replys guys. so heres whats going on now. i took it to nissan, and had the forman look at it (to get a second opinion) couldn't find anything, and the scanner came up with nothing either. he did change the spark plugs to the ngk platinum. had ngk iridium before said the car could be sensative. i haven't driven it much since i had it done, but went out today. CEL came on, and then a minute later it started flashing. which from what i have read on the forums here could mean multi-misfire on the cylinders. im going to get the codes checked at my mechanic, he does them for free. anything else i can tell the guy to check? and if it is having multiple misfires, is that for sure coils?

Divewjason - once warm the car is struggling at stoplights too, started before the CEL came on.

whlimi - the RPM gauge doesn't move when im cruising at 60 km/h or so, but i can feel the engine struggling, so i look at the gauge, seeing if its changing, and it isn't. i guess it could be too small of a change for it to pick up. but yeah, under normal driving conditions, giving it gas, its fine.
driving around with OD off, i can still feel the engine not running smoothly, and struggling. but not shaking like it would if i were in OD.

Last edited by pleckaitis; 03-14-2009 at 04:16 PM.
Old 03-14-2009, 04:42 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

i got this from consumer guide talking about a 2002 altima. but it describes my car perfectly.

"Engine stalling: A problem with the ignition coils causes stumbling during light throttle cruise or stalling at idle,
requiring installation of a resistor between the coils and spark plugs."

has anyone heard of doing this? or know anything about it?

Last edited by pleckaitis; 03-14-2009 at 04:45 PM.
Old 03-14-2009, 07:56 PM
The Golden One

Just get new coils. It's a 99, they are known for that.

I'm ordering 6 new ones myself as I have a misfire myself. Preventive maintenance to get all 6.
Old 03-15-2009, 08:16 AM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

Originally Posted by IlyaK
Just get new coils. It's a 99, they are known for that.

I'm ordering 6 new ones myself as I have a misfire myself. Preventive maintenance to get all 6.
Yeah, I remember reading postings about the coils being a problem for '99's.
Nissan used a different manufacturer IIRC.
Old 03-15-2009, 11:34 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

does it matter what brand of coils they are? are all after market ok? or should i be buying something specific.