4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

order of importance

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 05:31 PM

order of importance

i have done the reaserch mostly from guys on here about the quality of parts. but my question is in what order should i build this car does it matter. i have $2000 that i have extra comeing from my taxes in a couple weeks, im thinking i can make signifigant mods with this. im not looking for rims or paint right now. basiclly any engine mods headers hiflow cat full exhaust. maybe a dashkit. rear lights either coil overs or new spings i KNOW its all about personal preferance but any advice i can get i appreciate. also if anyone has anything for sale that might help im open for suggestions thanks in advance.
Old 03-09-2009, 05:35 PM
No more Maximas...

If you're looking for stuff people have for sale, check the classifieds.

As far as what you want to get, well are you going for performance, for handling, for looks, what?

Search, you'll find many threads about this.
Old 03-09-2009, 05:39 PM

i guess im looking for performace first, looks last. i was just wondering if there is a certin way i should go about handing my purchases. like a top ten list so to speak. im really not trying to be a pain in the **** bro, i apologize that i ask such broad questions. my knowledge with cars are limited.
Old 03-09-2009, 05:43 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by ironwork
i guess im looking for performace first, looks last. i was just wondering if there is a certin way i should go about handing my purchases. like a top ten list so to speak. im really not trying to be a pain in the **** bro, i apologize that i ask such broad questions. my knowledge with cars are limited.
Looking for very in depth performance mods (more expensive, more involved, but make more power), or typical bolt ons (relatively cheap, quick installs, less power)?

If the former, you've got 3.5, nitrous, turbo, blower, cams, etc.

If the latter, there's your typical I/E, headers if you want to get every possible bit of horsepower from exhaust mods, etc.
Old 03-09-2009, 05:46 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I would suggest

-an intake and an exshust (with headers if you can budget that in there).
-Lower the car if its still stock.
-Replace any worn or broken parts on the car.
-Maintanance (tune up, lube and oil).
-Maybe a timing advance

I would go with maintance and replacement of worn and broken parts first, as these are most important.

Then a drop.

Then intake.

Then exhaust.

Then timing.

I might be forgetting something, but this is my suggestions. GL
Old 03-09-2009, 05:49 PM

i dont want to get to crazy on this engine cause i plann on throwing a new one in when it goes so i guess headers hi flow cat, and exhaust will do. then sshocks and springs strut bar etc. i have read some people buying a ebay turbo then upgradeing a little at a time do you think i can pull that of with my funds btw i appreciate the help.
Old 03-09-2009, 05:50 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by nsnrider
I would suggest

-Maybe a timing advance

I would go with maintance and replacement of worn and broken parts first, as these are most important.

Then a drop.

Then intake.

Then exhaust.

Then timing.

Definitely on maintenance.

Maintenance before mods, always.
Old 03-09-2009, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by nsnrider
I would suggest

-Maybe a timing advance

Then a drop.

Then intake.

Then exhaust.

Then timing.

i appeciate the help as well. for the most part the car is in really good shape for its age i just did a tune up oil change plugs etc... i have a hybrid intake that i probably will replace lol. the tranny fliud still looks red everything runs pretty good as per my mechanic who is a buddy of mine. is there something i should replace that the maxima require in the later mileage area that i can do?
Old 03-09-2009, 05:53 PM
No more Maximas...

i dont want to get to crazy on this engine cause i plann on throwing a new one in when it goes so i guess headers hi flow cat, and exhaust will do. then sshocks and springs strut bar etc. i have read some people buying a ebay turbo then upgradeing a little at a time do you think i can pull that of with my funds btw i appreciate the help.
A turbo kit for 2 grand? Maybe, if you find a lot of great deals or you use subpar/used parts.

But I wouldn't expect it to be all that reliable.

The VQ30 is amazingly stout, chances are unless you do some major critical damage to it intentionally, it's not going to die.

Personally I would go with a full 3.5 swap, you can probably do that for around ~$2k if you can find a wrecked parts car or one at a pick and pull junkyard.
Old 03-09-2009, 05:56 PM

if your planning on getting a new engine down the road, just pick up a 3.5 now.
Old 03-09-2009, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by pmohr
A turbo kit for 2 grand? Maybe, if you find a lot of great deals or you use subpar/used parts.

But I wouldn't expect it to be all that reliable.

The VQ30 is amazingly stout, chances are unless you do some major critical damage to it intentionally, it's not going to die.

Personally I would go with a full 3.5 swap, you can probably do that for around ~$2k if you can find a wrecked parts car or one at a pick and pull junkyard.
really? i would love to. but theres no way i can put it in myself even with my friend helping me. 2 grand installed or just for the motor? thsi may be a retarted question but can i put a 300 zx motor in there. im assumeing no because its RWD but im a jerkoff when it comes to this stuff. lol
Old 03-09-2009, 06:00 PM

If I was going to mod my car I am going to do the maintance First,than do the brakes and the suspensions and go and do the engine work. I/E/H ect. If your going to mod your car your going to need better suspensions and braking power! Start from the ground and built your way up.
Old 03-09-2009, 06:00 PM
No more Maximas...

really? i would love to. but theres no way i can put it in myself even with my friend helping me. 2 grand installed or just for the motor? thsi may be a retarted question but can i put a 300 zx motor in there. im assumeing no because its RWD but im a jerkoff when it comes to this stuff. lol
2 grand for all the parts, doing the labor yourself.

No, you can't.
  • RWD.
  • Too wide.
  • ...it's a VG, seriously.
  • If you can't install a VQ35 (which is bolt in) what makes you think you could install a VG?
Old 03-09-2009, 06:04 PM

lmao at the 300zx motor
Old 03-09-2009, 06:05 PM

lol im not askin if im capable opposed to the other. im saying will it fit? ive heard people claiming they have but you seem to now whats what. also i can throw the engine in ive done that with my pop on his old ford. i dont have the equipment the tools to do that myself. my buddie will throw in a catback exhaust things like that for 30 bucks things he can do quick. his dad aint gonna let me use his shop for a engine swap you get what i mean

Last edited by ironwork; 03-09-2009 at 06:08 PM.
Old 03-09-2009, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by G4nismo
lmao at the 300zx motor
i know its sounds crazy but people claim they have done it on cardomain thats why i asked.
Old 03-09-2009, 06:08 PM
No more Maximas...

i know its sounds crazy but people claim they have done it on cardomain thats why i asked.
That's why you shouldn't believe most of what you read on cardomain.

Or if you have a question just search, sadly the VG and RB questions do come up every so often.
Old 03-09-2009, 06:08 PM

If the 300zx motor can use a twin turbo I am sure the VQ can too but you will have to do some serious fabricating to the car. I am sure the VQ will make the best of the twin or single turbo.
Old 03-09-2009, 06:11 PM

well honestly, maintainece is key, wat would u have a car that looks good but go no where or a car that gets u arnd but can use touch up. wat i mean to say is that befoore u start modding performannce wise make sure the car is up to date on all the maintainence scheduleds. and go from there and c wat ur budget will aloow u to do. have fun
Old 03-09-2009, 06:13 PM

That's why you shouldn't believe most of what you read on cardomain.

Or if you have a question just search, sadly the VG and RB questions do come up every so often.
lol sorry

Originally Posted by vqmaxman
If the 300zx motor can use a twin turbo I am sure the VQ can too but you will have to do some serious fabricating to the car. I am sure the VQ will make the best of the twin or single turbo.
yeah thats what im trying to avoid lol. i guess i can try to make my exsisting engine better opposed to a swap.
Old 03-09-2009, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by maxfever1987
well honestly, maintainece is key, wat would u have a car that looks good but go no where or a car that gets u arnd but can use touch up. wat i mean to say is that befoore u start modding performannce wise make sure the car is up to date on all the maintainence scheduleds. and go from there and c wat ur budget will aloow u to do. have fun
yeah your absoulutely right. ill take it back to my guy and see whats what again. but to my knowledge the car is mechanically sound ready to go.
Old 03-09-2009, 06:25 PM

If I was going to mod my car I am going to do the maintance First,than do the brakes and the suspensions and go and do the engine work. I/E/H ect. If your going to mod your car your going to need better suspensions and braking power! Start from the ground and built your way up.
this is what i was looking for thanks. gonna shop for parts now appreciate it.
Old 03-09-2009, 06:26 PM

The VQ is honestly going to be a better bet if your going to boost down the road because the engine is built proof and It's light weight components have been microfinished and the engine has been design for performance. The engine rev speeds can hit numerious cycles in the 6500 rpm range. That is giving you all the juice your engine to give you nice acceleration with power. The engine can hold stock up to 600 hp with out changing internal parts.
Old 03-09-2009, 06:33 PM

The VQ is honestly going to be a better bet if your going to boost down the road because the engine is built proof and It's light weight components have been microfinished and the engine has been design for performance. The engine rev speeds can hit numerious cycles in the 6500 rpm range. That is giving you all the juice your engine to give you nice acceleration with power. The engine can hold stock up to 600 hp with out changing internal parts.
i would love to put the 300 motor in this i guess i have to ask around and see how much all the work will be or if its even possible. like i said im pretty sure ive seen guys do this unless they photoshoped it in lol. if its drasticlly over 2 grand ill hold of if its cant be done ill just do exactly what you said from the ground up.
Old 03-09-2009, 06:42 PM
No more Maximas...

i would love to put the 300 motor in this i guess i have to ask around and see how much all the work will be or if its even possible. like i said im pretty sure ive seen guys do this unless they photoshoped it in lol. if its drasticlly over 2 grand ill hold of if its cant be done ill just do exactly what you said from the ground up.
Why exactly do you want to put the VG in the car?

For the twin turbo setup? None of that is going to fit, you'd have to redo it all custom anyway. There is absolutely no point in using the VG over the VQ, given the amount of custom work that's required.

Yes, it'll be well over 2 grand. You're talking custom crossmember, custom mounts, an adapter plate for the trans, swapping bellhousings, or swapping in a new trans. Possibly custom axles, at the very least a custom support bracket. Custom engine control harness, body harness. Adapting the cooling, power steering and air conditioning systems to the new setup. Custom intake, exhaust, etc.
Old 03-09-2009, 06:43 PM

I got a question? Why would you want to put in a 300zx motor if you have a VQ that has a better potential than the 300zx motor? I honestly will tell you that the VG has iron blocks and iron heads either way you look at it you will have the motor weighting more then the VQ weights.
Old 03-09-2009, 06:50 PM

Why exactly do you want to put the VG in the car?

For the twin turbo setup? None of that is going to fit, you'd have to redo it all custom anyway. There is absolutely no point in using the VG over the VQ, given the amount of custom work that's required.

Yes, it'll be well over 2 grand. You're talking custom crossmember, custom mounts, an adapter plate for the trans, swapping bellhousings, or swapping in a new trans. Possibly custom axles, at the very least a custom support bracket. Custom engine control harness, body harness. Adapting the cooling, power steering and air conditioning systems to the new setup. Custom intake, exhaust, etc.
i just assumed if i can get a 3.5 why not think about a twin z engine ive heard of nissan makeing most of there engines similar and since you suggested a 3.5 it was a thought. what im probably gonna do since the car is in above average shape is incorperate new parts on the exsisting engine. ive allways wanted a turbo 300z in fact for 4500 there was one locally here in new york that i couldve gotten. put i decided to go with the max for a couple reason one it has a back seat my wife and kids like to go cruseing with me 2} i new where the car came from 3] the 95 came out the year i was graduateing high school and i allways enjoyed it. i like the balance in comfort and performance there is alot i can do to the car and i enjoy the diy weekends it will take to makeing the car sharp. im just trying to make the best descision atm.

Last edited by ironwork; 03-09-2009 at 06:52 PM.
Old 03-09-2009, 06:53 PM
No more Maximas...

i just assumed if i can get a 3.5 why not think about a twin z engine ive heard of nissan makeing most of there engines similar and since you suggested a 3.5 it was a thought. what im probably gonna do since the car is in above average shape is incorperate new parts on the exsisting engine. ive allways wanted a turbo 300z in fact for 4500 there was one locally here in new york that i couldve gotten. put i decided to go with the max for a couple reason one it has a back seat my wife and kids like to go cruseing with me 2} i new where the car came from 3] the 95 came out the year i was graduateing high school and i allways enjoyed it. i like the balance in cofort and performance there is alot i can do to the car and i enjoy the diy weekends it will take to makeing the car sharp.
Swapping the VQ35 in is a big difference than swapping in the VG, seeing as how the VQ is a direct bolt in, extremely similar block to the VQ30.

Unless you've got 6 grand or so to spare, and want to go to an older and technologically inferior motor, drop the VG idea. Especially a VG30DETT. You ever actually seen one of those things? Biggest PITA to work on ever.
Old 03-09-2009, 06:57 PM

so with that being said ill ride this motor for as long as i can. i can probably get headers all the way back plus full suspension for 2 grand but im still interested in finding out about a 3.5. will i need a torgue converter im assumeing i will only if i go turbo ot sc?

Last edited by ironwork; 03-09-2009 at 06:59 PM.
Old 03-09-2009, 07:03 PM

Swapping the VQ35 in is a big difference than swapping in the VG, seeing as how the VQ is a direct bolt in, extremely similar block to the VQ30.

Unless you've got 6 grand or so to spare, and want to go to an older and technologically inferior motor, drop the VG idea. Especially a VG30DETT. You ever actually seen one of those things? Biggest PITA to work on ever.
your right i forgot my buddy in the army had one i remember him saying that. everything was squezzed in a tight fit or some crao like that. i had a supercharged riveria that i used the mess with and it looked nothing like these nissans lol so its pretty much all new to me. i also heard nissan has won many awards for this engine so i guess keeping it will be my best bet. or a 3.5
Old 03-09-2009, 07:07 PM
No more Maximas...

so with that being said ill ride this motor for as long as i can. i can probably get headers all the way back plus full suspension for 2 grand but im still interested in finding out about a 3.5. will i need a torgue converter im assumeing i will only if i go turbo ot sc?
I assume you mean torque converter?

You don't need to ever change it out, unless it fails or you want to upgrade.
Old 03-09-2009, 08:09 PM

I appreciate the help seriously.
Old 03-10-2009, 03:51 PM

I/H/Y/E, ECU
Old 03-10-2009, 05:01 PM

Haha maintenance first remember! But since you are going for a new engine in the future, there is not point in upgrading it, so maybe exhaust, new brakes, maybe a new sound system. But I'm sure what I covered has already been said. Good luck!!!!