4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Starter Not Cranking Engine

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 11:41 AM

Starter Not Cranking Engine

Hello Everyone,

I could not start my car this morning when everything was working great until this morning. I had a problem with my car not starting a few months back, but it was because I had my clutch changed and I had to re ground my wires to the tranny and starter.

Which worked wonders! But then today I cranked the engine and all I hear is a whirring or whizzing sound and my rpms rev but no crank! I just replaced my battery and my starting is 2 months old. I not sure what it is. It almost sounds like the starter is spinning but not engaging the flywheel to crank the engine?

Any help or thoughts would be appreciated! Thanks

Azn Mint
Old 03-11-2009, 11:54 AM
No more Maximas...

So the tach moves, but the engine isn't cranking? Odd electrical problem.

Did you do anything other than replace the battery right before this happened?

Well, disregarding the tach issue, pretty much it's one of three things; you have zero compression in all cylinders, the ring gear somehow separated from the flywheel, or the bendix gear isn't kicking out far enough.

First thing I would do is pull the starter and bench test it, see if it's kicking out.
Old 03-11-2009, 12:10 PM

^ +1

Had similar problems with my auto when i rebuilt the starter...only i had a 5-speed bendix gear in and it wouldn't kick out enough to crank the motor
Old 03-11-2009, 12:16 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by Bassbreaker
^ +1

Had similar problems with my auto when i rebuilt the starter...only i had a 5-speed bendix gear in and it wouldn't kick out enough to crank the motor
That's odd, because the auto and 5 speed starters are identical (and the same for the internals).
Old 03-11-2009, 12:19 PM

Could be the Starter solenoid which is what pushes the bendix gear against the flywheel or as others said the bendix gear itself. But if the gear was going bad you would have had indications.

If you hear a spinning motor nioise my bet is the starter solenoid.
Old 03-11-2009, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by pmohr
That's odd, because the auto and 5 speed starters are identical (and the same for the internals).

weird...I brought 2 bendix gears up to a rebuild shop...well 2 starters actually...to make one. When I got the starter back,it would kick out, but not enough to reach. So, I got back the other bendix gear from the other starter, put it in myself, and away I went.
Old 03-11-2009, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by fflint_18
Could be the Starter solenoid which is what pushes the bendix gear against the flywheel or as others said the bendix gear itself. But if the gear was going bad you would have had indications.

If you hear a spinning motor nioise my bet is the starter solenoid.

time to push button start
Old 03-11-2009, 02:50 PM

Well I took my starter out and took it to a rebuild shop and he says the drive shaft of my starter is bad or loose. It spins but when he applies some pressure to it, it just too weak to crank over the flywheel. He says he has a used one he can put in for me... so I 'm just going to wait till tommorow to get it back and see if it solves my problem. Hopefully it will be the same length bendix gear cuz the one he showed me looked a little shorter.

But i'll update everyone on how it goes.

Thanks again for your inputs!
Old 03-11-2009, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by pmohr
So the tach moves, but the engine isn't cranking? Odd electrical problem.

Did you do anything other than replace the battery right before this happened?

Well, disregarding the tach issue, pretty much it's one of three things; you have zero compression in all cylinders, the ring gear somehow separated from the flywheel, or the bendix gear isn't kicking out far enough.

First thing I would do is pull the starter and bench test it, see if it's kicking out.
this would have made for some cool pics.......

would have sucked for you though