4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Which bearing could it be? *Trans*

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 07:15 AM

Which bearing could it be? *Trans*

When the clutch is OUT, the trans makes a faulty bearing sound. When it's in, it sounds normal. The input shaft bearing was already replaced, which one could it be?
Old 03-12-2009, 07:22 AM
No more Maximas...

ISB.

Who did the work?

The input shaft does have two bearings, it could be the rear bearing as well (if you only replaced the front).
Old 03-12-2009, 04:16 PM

like pmohr said there are 2 bearings on the input shaft. if you replace only one then the other one might be bad too. how bout your throwout bearing?

Last edited by Dbird; 03-12-2009 at 08:49 PM.
Old 03-12-2009, 05:01 PM

Best write up on this problem i have EVER read!!

http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...t-bearing.html

http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...t-bearing.html
Old 03-12-2009, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by Dbird
like pmohr said there are 2 bearings on the imput shaft. if you replace only one then the other one might be bad too. how bout your throwout bearing?

if foot OFF the clutch it not the TOB... the TOB is not in use at that time. TOB is only used when clutch is depressed.

PS: Im in the process of replacing ALL mine... LOTS of fun..
$147.62 from http://rsgear.com/ (+tax+shipping) Best price i have found so far. Kit # BK-182D

Last edited by cvsmaxima; 03-12-2009 at 05:05 PM.
Old 03-12-2009, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by cvsmaxima
if foot OFF the clutch it not the TOB... the TOB is not in use at that time. TOB is only used when clutch is depressed.
technicallyyour right, but when the clutch is released, the bearing is free to spin and make that noise
Old 03-12-2009, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by whiteSE
technicallyyour right, but when the clutch is released, the bearing is free to spin and make that noise
I think that would be a rare case and only really possable is the TOB hasnt been replaced in a LONG time and its totaly worn. Would probably have to NOT change the TOB the last time you replaced clutch to result in somthing like that. Also, if it were the TOB you would still hear it when the clutch was depressed.

Read that post i mentioned above. There is a part that talks about the TOB and how it should feel. Its easy compared to the ISB to check. (not that pulling the tranny is light work, but its not hard either.)

PS/OT - whiteSE: did you sell your max yet?
Old 03-12-2009, 05:30 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by whiteSE
It's free to spin, but it won't spin. If there's nothing contacting the surface of the TOB, it just won't rotate. It only does so with the clutch disengaged.
Old 03-12-2009, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by pmohr
It's free to spin, but it won't spin. If there's nothing contacting the surface of the TOB, it just won't rotate. It only does so with the clutch disengaged.
exactly. the bearing will freewheel to a stop if you disengage the clutch and reingage it, until the bearing stops, it takes not even 1 second for it to stop under idle though.

If the TB is completely shot it could be rubbing against the IPS, it's not very likely, I have heared of it happening but never on the maxima's, so I'd have to say not very likely the case.
Old 03-12-2009, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by cvsmaxima
I think that would be a rare case and only really possable is the TOB hasnt been replaced in a LONG time and its totaly worn. Would probably have to NOT change the TOB the last time you replaced clutch to result in somthing like that. Also, if it were the TOB you would still hear it when the clutch was depressed.

Read that post i mentioned above. There is a part that talks about the TOB and how it should feel. Its easy compared to the ISB to check. (not that pulling the tranny is light work, but its not hard either.)

PS/OT - whiteSE: did you sell your max yet?
no not yet...cris right?
Old 03-12-2009, 08:17 PM

simple and easy, "input shaft bearing". that's what happened to me and all the mechanics said it was the TOB only to realize the problem was the input shaft bearing. like i said before if you replaced the one on the at the front, then the one at the back might be bad too and you might need to replace it. is your gear oil leaking? if it is definitely the front one is bad too even though am not sure which one you replaced. it you pull out the tranny and you find uneven play on your input shaft, better know its the "INPUT SHAFT BEARING" i just rebuild my tranny and replaced em after 210000 k. click on the link below you gonna see the pics i took off my tranny. as you can see almost half of the ***** on the input[/B] shaft bearng were gone. thats what happens to it. you can see there are 2 of them on the input shaft and the bottom one was the source of all evil in my tranny. http://s259.photobucket.com/albums/h...ird613/maxima/ .good luck.

Last edited by Dbird; 03-12-2009 at 08:48 PM.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:29 PM
No more Maximas...

simple and easy, "imput shaft bearing". that's what happened to me and all the mechanics said it was the TOB only to realize the problem was the imput shaft bearing. like i said before if you replaced the one on the at the front, then the one at the back might be bad too and you might need to replace it. is your gear oil leaking? if it is definitely the front one is bad too even though am not sure which one you replaced. it you pull out the tranny and you find uneven play on your imput shaft, better know its the "IMPUT SHAFT BEARING" i just rebuild my tranny and replaced em after 210000 k.click on the link below you gonna see the pics i toocof my tranny. as you can see almost half of the ***** on the imput shaft bearng were gone. thats what happens to it. you can see ther are 2 of them on the imput shaft and the bottom one was the source af all evil in my tranny. http://s259.photobucket.com/albums/h...ird613/maxima/ .good luck.
Holy hell.

Two things are evident here:
  • Sentence structure and proper punctuation are good things, not to mention capitalization.
  • There is no such word as 'imput'. Normally I would say typo, but 6 times...
Old 03-12-2009, 08:44 PM

Holy hell.

Two things are evident here:
  • Sentence structure and proper punctuation are good things, not to mention capitalization.
  • There is no such word as 'imput'. Normally I would say typo, but 6 times...
Am not in a spelling bee or an essay writing contest. Just trying to help out so long as they understand what am trying to say. so whats the proper word for the "INPUT" shaft bearing? That's what the Haynes manual says!!!

Last edited by Dbird; 03-12-2009 at 08:47 PM.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:49 PM
No more Maximas...

Am not in a spelling bee or an essay writing contest. Just trying to help out so long as they understand what am trying to say. so whats the proper word for the "IMPUT" shaft bearing? That's what the Haynes manual says!!!
Note that I never said anything about spelling. It's a nice thing, yes, but most of the members of this forum can't quite seem to grasp it.

It's not about spelling, or writing an essay, it's about having a post that's easily readable, not a jumbled mass of text.

And the proper term is input. As in the word input. Because it's an input shaft, where power is taken from the engine, into the trans.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:59 PM

Note that I never said anything about spelling. It's a nice thing, yes, but most of the members of this forum can't quite seem to grasp it.

It's not about spelling, or writing an essay, it's about having a post that's easily readable, not a jumbled mass of text.

And the proper term is input. As in the word input. Because it's an input shaft, where power is taken from the engine, into the trans.
oh thank you. must have taken the term directly out the mouth of my Mexican mechanic.
Old 03-12-2009, 09:02 PM
No more Maximas...

oh thank you. must have taken the term directly out the mouth of my Mexican mechanic.
Actually I believe that would be eemput
Old 03-12-2009, 09:07 PM

Actually I believe that would be eemput
C'mon now! Ok now I've checked and there is no word like "eemput" its actually "input". that's the name for the bearing
Old 03-13-2009, 06:17 AM
Whatchyou say?

ROFL 'Gramar' ... isn't that the first school kids go to, what does it have to do with sentence structure?
Old 03-13-2009, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by JtzMax
ROFL 'Gramar' ... isn't that the first school kids go to, what does it have to do with sentence structure?
Thats what Ive been wondering!
Old 03-13-2009, 04:32 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by JtzMax
Do what?
Old 03-14-2009, 04:39 AM
Maintenance Monster

Any mechanic who manages to change only one of the two input shaft bearings is hopeless... just FYI
Old 03-14-2009, 08:41 AM
SLOW

Originally Posted by LTU_max
When the clutch is OUT, the trans makes a faulty bearing sound. When it's in, it sounds normal. The input shaft bearing was already replaced, which one could it be?
I don't know how recently you had the work done, but it is most certainly an input shaft bearing. Most people kind of misspeak when they talk about it, but there are two bearings on the input shaft, one on each end. If you had only one replaced and it's still making noise... it's the other one...