4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

it has been raining and now the electronics on the door wont work

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 10:19 AM

it has been raining and now the electronics on the door wont work

i assume that water got inside the door and now it wont lock/unlock with the keyless entry and the window wont roll down either. do i need to wait for it to dry to try again or is it toast?
Old 03-14-2009, 11:17 AM
No more Maximas...

Have you checked the fuses?
Old 03-14-2009, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by pmohr
Have you checked the fuses?
i actually have not. i havent needed to look at them in a while but i assumed that all the locks were on one fuse so that they all wouldnt work simultaneously. or is it each door has its fuse?
Old 03-14-2009, 01:46 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by 95.maxima
i actually have not. i havent needed to look at them in a while but i assumed that all the locks were on one fuse so that they all wouldnt work simultaneously. or is it each door has its fuse?
The entire system should be on one fuse, yes. You never mentioned anything about the rest of the locks working.

However, you have an electrical issue and haven't checked the fuses? Should be the first thing you do, well before posting on here.

Does the master switch lock/unlock the other doors? Will it roll the other windows down? Are you able to roll the other windows down with their respective switches?
Old 03-14-2009, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by pmohr
The entire system should be on one fuse, yes. You never mentioned anything about the rest of the locks working.

However, you have an electrical issue and haven't checked the fuses? Should be the first thing you do, well before posting on here.

Does the master switch lock/unlock the other doors? Will it roll the other windows down? Are you able to roll the other windows down with their respective switches?
ok im sorry i thought i had mentioned that. it is just the front passenger door.

the auto lock from the key fob wont unlock it, butit unlocks the other three doors.

the other windows roll down with the switches on the driver door and the actual switch on the door, except the one in question. it does not go down from either switch.
Old 03-14-2009, 11:06 PM
The Golden One

Your passenger side switch died. Or it got unplugged. Since you didn't touch it I'm going to say it died. The door, and all of it's electronics (including the step light) will NOT work unless the switch is plugged in/working.

I have one you can buy I believe. Just swap covers and you're all set. See the thread in my signature.
Old 03-15-2009, 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by IlyaK
Your passenger side switch died. Or it got unplugged. Since you didn't touch it I'm going to say it died. The door, and all of it's electronics (including the step light) will NOT work unless the switch is plugged in/working.

I have one you can buy I believe. Just swap covers and you're all set. See the thread in my signature.
i just got home and i noticed that the light on the window switch works however you are correct that the door light (the step light i believe) does not. do you think that this is still the problem?
Old 03-15-2009, 08:46 AM
The Golden One

Hmm...tough to say. Your switch might be partially dead. I've never seen that, either they work or the don't work but it is electronics, so it is possible. I have one I can sell you for $15 including shipping.
Old 03-15-2009, 01:34 PM

Before you buy another one, take the door panel off and unplug it for about 15 minutes, then plug it back in and try everything out.

This happened to me, and that worked for me. I was playing with the door light, putting a new light in, and somehow it managed to like...kill my driver side auto lock/window switch. I unplugged and plugged it back in and it's worked since.
Old 03-15-2009, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Eyce
Before you buy another one, take the door panel off and unplug it for about 15 minutes, then plug it back in and try everything out.

This happened to me, and that worked for me. I was playing with the door light, putting a new light in, and somehow it managed to like...kill my driver side auto lock/window switch. I unplugged and plugged it back in and it's worked since.
im gonna take off the door panel tomorrow to put in new speakers so i will try this. however i already got the one from IlyaK and at only 15$ ill just sell it off if i need to and your idea works.

thanks for the heads up
Old 03-23-2009, 11:43 AM

just an update for anyone searching for this problem.

i first tried to unplug the door switch and left it unplugged for a while, however that did not work. but i got the switch in today from IlyaK and it works flawlessly. so if the trick of unplugging it doesnt work, just buy a new one. they are cheap and it solved my problem.

!