4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Brembo Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 03:30 PM

Brembo Brakes

I just recieved my brembo blanks from autobarn but one rotor has two dimples mahcined into the rotor where the pads would be making contact. I tried to contact them but I think they close at 6pm. Their number give a busy signal. Anyone ever seen anything like this? Makes me doubt they are real brembo blanks.
Old 03-19-2009, 03:31 PM

I believe mine had that too.
Old 03-19-2009, 03:33 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by Quickywd01
I just recieved my brembo blanks from autobarn but one rotor has two dimples mahcined into the rotor where the pads would be making contact. I tried to contact them but I think they close at 6pm. Their number give a busy signal. Anyone ever seen anything like this? Makes me doubt they are real brembo blanks.
So, no pictures?

It's most likely just fine, but if you're concerned, why not have them exchange it?
Old 03-19-2009, 05:25 PM
wants an I35

if we are talking about brembo blanks, then yes, they do have machined dimples where the pads would be making contact.
Old 03-19-2009, 07:33 PM

i saw on autobarn that there are two differnt size rotors?

part #25314-Front Brake Rotor;Front ; to 3/99 ; Min Thick-Max Dia 20mm; Years: 1999-1999;Qty Per Vehicle:2;

part# 25575-Front Brake Rotor;Front ; From 4/99 ; Min Thick-Max Dia 24mm; Years: 1999-1999;Qty Per Vehicle:2

what cars are different? i have not pulled my rotors off mine yet to actually find out.

What pads are you gonna be running with the brembos?
Old 03-19-2009, 07:40 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by bow94z
i saw on autobarn that there are two differnt size rotors?

part #25314-Front Brake Rotor;Front ; to 3/99 ; Min Thick-Max Dia 20mm; Years: 1999-1999;Qty Per Vehicle:2;

part# 25575-Front Brake Rotor;Front ; From 4/99 ; Min Thick-Max Dia 24mm; Years: 1999-1999;Qty Per Vehicle:2

what cars are different? i have not pulled my rotors off mine yet to actually find out.

What pads are you gonna be running with the brembos?
If you read what you pasted, the difference is production date.

Anyway, 25314 is for the '99 model year, 25575 is for the '00 model year.

'99 model years weren't produced past March of '99.
Old 03-19-2009, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by pmohr
'99 model years weren't produced past March of '99.
ok makes sense now. Well just threw me off because it was only a month difference.

What pads are most guys running with the brembos? hawks?
Old 03-19-2009, 07:56 PM

In the package the blanks should have a paper explaining that the dimples are wear indicators. One is deeper than the other. If you can only see one it is time to replace your rotors. If you can't see either, you're screwed...
Old 03-20-2009, 08:37 AM

someone on the forum is named wizard, he runs brembos, ask him. he should have some insight for you. he has a nice clean ride, with a fresh brembo upgrade.
Old 03-20-2009, 08:39 AM
Got Retrofit?

Originally Posted by GStrength
someone on the forum is named wizard, he runs brembos, ask him. he should have some insight for you. he has a nice clean ride, with a fresh brembo upgrade.
http://forums.maxima.org/members/the-wizard.html
Old 03-20-2009, 01:16 PM

ROTOR #1

Old 03-20-2009, 01:17 PM

This is the weird rotor:

See how the rotors don't have the same stampings? The weird one has only one stamping while the good rotor has a lot more info stamped on it and also has the brembo logo stamped onto it.
Old 03-21-2009, 07:57 PM

That dimple is most liklely there to indicate when the rotors have reached there limits of wear.

Essentially, when the dimple is no longer visable, the rotor must be disposed of, as it cannot be machined anymore and needs to be replaced.

I know my brembo rotors had brembo stamped on the outside.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:36 AM

So why does one rotor look different than the other. One has the dimples and doesn't say brembo while the other one that says brembo doesn't have the dimples. Should I just use them?
Old 03-22-2009, 10:52 AM

Id return the one that doesnt say brebmo. Good chance its not a real brembo blank, and if you paid for 2 brembo blanks, then you deserve 2 brembo blanks!
Old 03-22-2009, 11:21 AM

Autobarn sucks!
Old 03-22-2009, 11:39 AM
wants an I35

come to think of it, my "brembo blanks" didnt have brembo stamped on them anywhere!
Old 03-22-2009, 03:13 PM

I'll try contacting Brembo.
Old 03-23-2009, 06:48 AM

I called brembo at 17347375823 and I was told that the "easy check" rotors have "notches" so that you can check when the rotor is worn out. This is the stupidest thing I have ever heard. That's what micrometers are for. I was also told that depending on where the rotors are made they may or may not be stamped with brembo on the side. I hope these are better than the cheap rotors at parts stores because it doesn't sound like it. Can't wait till next week to put it all on. Thanks everyone for your help.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:25 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

I called brembo at 17347375823 and I was told that the "easy check" rotors have "notches" so that you can check when the rotor is worn out. This is the stupidest thing I have ever heard. That's what micrometers are for.
Do you own a micrometer?
Can you use measure the rotor with a micrometer while the wheel is on?

If you answer NO to any of the above, then the easy check isn't so stupid.
It allows you to monitor the rotors condition accurately, by eye.

Sounds like a pretty dam good idea to me.
Old 03-23-2009, 02:33 PM

Yes and yes, so thanks for allowing me to call it stupid. It's not stupid I was just frustrated with getting two different rotors and having to wait to install them.

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
Do you own a micrometer?
Can you use measure the rotor with a micrometer while the wheel is on?

If you answer NO to any of the above, then the easy check isn't so stupid.
It allows you to monitor the rotors condition accurately, by eye.

Sounds like a pretty dam good idea to me.
Old 03-23-2009, 05:00 PM
wants an I35

just to note, the reason i got rid of mine is because they rust like a ***** - and quickly at that.

i would suggest painting them or giving them some sort of enamel covering to prevent rust, otherwise you are going to have brown rotors in about a week.
Old 03-23-2009, 05:48 PM

Should I return the non-dimpled rotor for a dimpled one?
When I ordered them I didn't even know the dimpled (easy-check) rotors existed.

The oem ones rust as well don't they? I have flat black paint but it's not high temp so I don't think I should spray them with that. The rust won't make the rotor work worse than if it were painted? Should I really paint them? If so I will go out and buy high temp paint.

Originally Posted by ROCKART
just to note, the reason i got rid of mine is because they rust like a ***** - and quickly at that.

i would suggest painting them or giving them some sort of enamel covering to prevent rust, otherwise you are going to have brown rotors in about a week.
Old 03-24-2009, 05:48 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by GStrength
Close, but not quit. I have the "upgraded" Brembo GT kit.... 2 piece 13.1" rotors....4 pot calipers....the whole shebang.

OP. I have some new Brembo blanks sitting in Brembo boxes awaiting install for my other Max. I can check to see what I have if it will make you feel any better and for comparison sakes, although it sounds like others have answered your questions/concerns already. Let me know.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:24 PM

If you can check on the stampings along the edge of the blanks that would be great, thanks! I'm going to measure the rotors thickness and if everything is well I think I'll keep them both. How's the brake setup in the pic?

Originally Posted by The Wizard
Close, but not quit. I have the "upgraded" Brembo GT kit.... 2 piece 13.1" rotors....4 pot calipers....the whole shebang.

OP. I have some new Brembo blanks sitting in Brembo boxes awaiting install for my other Max. I can check to see what I have if it will make you feel any better and for comparison sakes, although it sounds like others have answered your questions/concerns already. Let me know.
Old 03-25-2009, 06:29 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by ROCKART
+1 - My Brembo blanks look like crap right now. These things turn orange real quick, I wouldn't buy them again. But they're also significantly cheaper than their cross drilled alternatives, however with how these look I'm thinking its worth the dive.

I run mine with Hawk HPS pads and Stainless Steel braided lines for some decent stopping power on stock calipers. Havn't had any issues other than aestetics yet
Old 03-25-2009, 04:31 PM
Administrator

If you can check on the stampings along the edge of the blanks that would be great, thanks! I'm going to measure the rotors thickness and if everything is well I think I'll keep them both. How's the brake setup in the pic?
No problem. I'll check tonight when I get home from work.

The Brembo BBK is great. No fade ever, awesome stopping power etc.
Old 03-25-2009, 05:33 PM

Has anyone painted their rotors to prevent the rust problems? Post pics or how you did it.
Old 03-25-2009, 05:50 PM
Black Lion

is that coil overs I see there?
Old 03-25-2009, 05:52 PM
Administrator

Has anyone painted their rotors to prevent the rust problems? Post pics or how you did it.
Yes, quit a few people have painted their rotors. I would imagine it would be quit simple to do.

I have Brembo blanks in the rear (cross drilled) and they're still gold where the pad doesn't touch...
Old 03-25-2009, 05:55 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by maxprivate
is that coil overs I see there?
Progress Gen III Maxima specific coilovers
Old 03-25-2009, 05:56 PM
Black Lion

I have the Brembo cross drilled and eventually the nice gold plated look will start to wear off. Im going to be repainting my calipers and the ring around where the hub is. Easy to do just time consuming.

Last edited by maxprivate; 03-25-2009 at 06:10 PM.
Old 03-25-2009, 05:58 PM
Black Lion

Progress Gen III Maxima specific coilovers
Nice! hows the ride on them? and how low do you have them now? Yeah.. Yeah.. thread jacker I am.
Old 03-25-2009, 06:12 PM
Administrator

I have the Brembo cross drilled and eventually the nice gold plated look will start to wear off. Im going to be repainting my calipers and the ring around wear the hub is. Easy to do just time consuming.
Weird. Over a year later, my are still as mint and gold as the day I installed them.

Nice! hows the ride on them? and how low do you have them now? Yeah.. Yeah.. thread jacker I am.
Freakin' awesome. Love em. I have a nice even two finger gap all the way around. Can't slam it with the CF body kit.
Old 03-25-2009, 06:12 PM

There is not a single brembo in the world that is drilled/dimpled/slotted.

Brembo DOES NOT do this. The only real brembos you will find will be really really gold in color, Be slanted or crossdrilled and trust me. No one on Maxima.org in group sales has the real ones. They are mostly all fakes(I bought them trust me) Or they are Brembo blanks that have been pressed with their own milling machine. I even got into an argument with the guy from group deals that sold me them and he wouldn't even answer me when I asked him if he drilled slotted them because they were done poorly. A company like Brembo would never do them poorly if they are real. Also I know I got fake ones because the price was cheap at the time AND they are rotting now. A year and a half later. Avoid them at all costs. Unless you buy from Brembo or a certified Brembo dealer.
Old 03-25-2009, 06:19 PM
Black Lion

Originally Posted by S1cTech
There is not a single brembo in the world that is drilled/dimpled/slotted.

Brembo DOES NOT do this. The only real brembos you will find will be really really gold in color, Be slanted or crossdrilled and trust me. No one on Maxima.org in group sales has the real ones. They are mostly all fakes(I bought them trust me) Or they are Brembo blanks that have been pressed with their own milling machine. I even got into an argument with the guy from group deals that sold me them and he wouldn't even answer me when I asked him if he drilled slotted them because they were done poorly. A company like Brembo would never do them poorly if they are real. Also I know I got fake ones because the price was cheap at the time AND they are rotting now. A year and a half later. Avoid them at all costs. Unless you buy from Brembo or a certified Brembo dealer.
So your saying everyone on the org has fake Brembos? I highly doubt that. I paid about 400 and change for mine and that by any means is not cheap. I also called Brembo to verify if the were authentic and mine are.
Old 03-25-2009, 06:31 PM
Black Lion

Weird. Over a year later, my are still as mint and gold as the day I installed them.
I had mine over two years and they are not as gold as before.. No rust or anything though.

Freakin' awesome. Love em. I have a nice even two finger gap all the way around. Can't slam it with the CF body kit.
yeah you don't want to do that. CRUSH CRUSH. enjoy.
Old 03-25-2009, 07:52 PM
Administrator

Ok. First off, no dimples on either rotor.

Here's what stamped on them. 30 05D RR "Brembo logo" MIN TH 20mm 526 09.5254.10
Old 03-25-2009, 09:22 PM

Can I use regular flat black paint? How hot do rotors get?

Yes, quit a few people have painted their rotors. I would imagine it would be quit simple to do.

I have Brembo blanks in the rear (cross drilled) and they're still gold where the pad doesn't touch...
Old 03-26-2009, 01:18 AM
Administrator

Can I use regular flat black paint? How hot do rotors get?
I wouldn't. I'd use the paint specially made for calipers/rotors sold at Autozone etc. I would image that rotors get pretty darn hot. Plus, regular flat paint probably won't up very well against the elements ie weather, debris etc.

When you're done, don't forget to clear coat it.

Quick Reply: Brembo Brakes